Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I am 5'6 and I don't think a 29er is in it for me. I see kids riding them and do not get it they seem to be.... well anybody is better biker than me, 26 or 29. Just 26 seems to offer me something I can control ! I do like Bar ends, going to get me some for my 26, I like just being able to change positions and hold em crankin' up hill.
    Brian

mtbr member
    I love mine. Though i have never been on a full suspension or a 29er so what the hell do i know?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

I do!

sponce
    Jul 2010
    Yep, I got a Scott Scale with code brakes thats awesome on the tight twisty single track - love it.

sponce
    Jul 2010
    Yep I've got a 26" Scott Scale with code brakes. It's awesome on the tight twisty tracks, so different to my 29er. I love both, they suit different tracks.
    spen

74 & 29 pilot
    I have my old(haha) 2005 Trek 6500 still. I rode this baby a lot when I first bought it in Virginia, but when I finally returned to the West it didn't get much attention. I've been saying I'm going to sell it for a while and finally got it cleaned up and posted an ad on CL. First night guy came with his son-in-law and wanted it, but the stand over was about an inch too tall. This thing is in clean and in great shape! Still for sale and someone wants to see it this weekend, I think; The email exchange has been suspicious, so this may be a scammer. I just bought a new Fox 32 120 for my woman's Fuel Ex and trying to figure out what to do with the RockShox Recon Silver TK. Now I kind of hope it doesn't sell, cause if I can put spacers or a different coil it that fork, the 6500 is going to have a "rebirth." I have so many good quality Sram X.0, X.7, X.5 components and Avid Juicy 3 brake sets in the garage closet that I can build this to something I'd like to ride! Though the original Shimano 8 spd shifting still works so smoothly; I just don't like shifting with my index finger. I still love the look of this frame.

I LOVE BIKES

MTBP
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anybody still like their 26" Hardtail?-ht-6500-16-.jpg  

Anybody still like their 26" Hardtail?-ht-6500-6-.jpg  

Anybody still like their 26" Hardtail?-ht-6500-13-.jpg  

Anybody still like their 26" Hardtail?-ht-6500-10-.jpg  

MTBP
    "GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!"
    Turn on the truth: http://www.ronpaulchannel.com/

panda bear
    Aug 2011

Carbon hardtail it is!

Anybody still like their 26" Hardtail?-dscn1300.jpg

mtbr member
    This was mine up until this past week. I dont have the money for several nice mtn bikes... so this was parted out for my 2011 Trance X3. Im sure i will miss it after the "new bike" phase wears off.

US Army Vet-Airborne 11B
    I saw a couple comments that I was sorely tempted to jump on (really,they were just dumb on so many levels...I mean really,have either of the two that's been building "customs" for a combined 50+ years really ridden "everything else out there" to know if your old bikes-which are sweet,BTW-ride better than? And you do know the difference between "custom build kits" and "customs",right? ),but this is an awesome thread,methinks.

Yes,we DO need a 26"er HT forum,or at least a 26"er forum (we have one for 29"ers and 650B\96"ers,etc,why not 26"ers?),it'd be cool,so that's a + ever-how-many

That said,if you check my sig,all I ride are big wheels now-a-days,but that isn't all I own (well,they're the only "complete" mtn bikes,but I digress...),I still have-and will never sell-my 2000 Trek 6000,and will be rebuilding\outting it back together next year. Also,I really do miss my old 2002 Redline Monocog,always wanted to build a Surly 1x1,etc,etc. The 26"er HT will never die,nor should it,they're too fun,and on the right trail,too perfectly suited.
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll

On your left!!!!!

Give me 26 or give me death

Rode a 29er for 3 years. Not for me. Here is a few pic's of my non up to date won't roll over anything retro bikes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anybody still like their 26" Hardtail?-dsc03515.jpg  

Anybody still like their 26" Hardtail?-dsc04719.jpg  

I'm poor, broke,busted,disgusted and can't be trusted!

Every man belieives in something and I believe I'll have one more beer.

US Army Vet-Airborne 11B
    NICE!!!
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I love mine so much I have one in Canada and one in Korea!!

The one in Korea:

When I go back to Canada I'm going to upgrade (but still keep my hardtail) with another hard tail 26-er

mtbr member

Hope

Quote Originally Posted by NepaJames View Post
    Hardtail will always be deep in my blood.

Then you should get a softer seat...

mtbr member
    I bought my first mtn bike in 2006, a $450 Gary Fisher Advance with 26" wheels. Last month I "upgraded" to a Trek Ful EX 7 in, you guessed it... 26"

I rode a few 29's before I bought, but they were not for me. The 26" tires seem to fit me better! They feel quicker and more agile...

mtbr member
    actually not that many people round me have high end bikes. Theres still alot of 26 hardtail v brakes on the dirt here.
    Ive only ever even seen one 29er

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    hi yall, this is my first post, I wasnt sure if i would get into mtbing about 6 months ago. I got a GT Timberline from good will for 40 bucks. From what I've read I've gone the usual route and spend over 500 upgrading this little find. Long story short, Im really into it now and Im either thinking about getting a new frame and swaping the parts onto a new frame, or getting a new new bike. However, I am on a tight budget, any advice and/or "constructive criticism" would be appreciated. I was thinking an access xcl or sette rekken frame. Current set up is GT timberline, Rockshox Dart 3, new BB, Cane creek S2, race face handle bars, speaclized 100 stem, shimano xt/rhyno lite wheels, shimao stx shifters and deraliuers, wtb speed v saddle. Soon after I got it I striped the frame and painted it, however, that paint isnt holding upmadman:< so I am gonna need to powdercoat it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anybody still like their 26&quot; Hardtail?-img_2865.jpg  

Anybody still like their 26&quot; Hardtail?-img_5805.jpg  

Anybody still like their 26&quot; Hardtail?-img_7658.jpg  

mtbr member
    I really like my 26' hardtail. I think my bike is lighter and more maneuverable than 29-er, so it's better for twisting, difficult trails. My 26-er has one more adventage for me - it doesn't take a lot of place in my small flat . Moreover 29-ers aren't so popular in Poland still so it's easier to buy 26-er.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by seanb561 View Post
    hi yall, this is my first post, I wasnt sure if i would get into mtbing about 6 months ago. I got a GT Timberline from good will for 40 bucks. From what I've read I've gone the usual route and spend over 500 upgrading this little find. Long story short, Im really into it now and Im either thinking about getting a new frame and swaping the parts onto a new frame, or getting a new new bike. However, I am on a tight budget, any advice and/or "constructive criticism" would be appreciated. I was thinking an access xcl or sette rekken frame. Current set up is GT timberline, Rockshox Dart 3, new BB, Cane creek S2, race face handle bars, speaclized 100 stem, shimano xt/rhyno lite wheels, shimao stx shifters and deraliuers, wtb speed v saddle. Soon after I got it I striped the frame and painted it, however, that paint isnt holding upmadman:< so I am gonna need to powdercoat it.
    you could upgrade it I suppose if you really are attached to that frame. However, it would be cheaper to buy another bike. You could spend that $500 on a bike off Craigslist and get something pretty sweet thats a few years old.
    -Eric
    Keeping the hardtail dream alive, one ride at a time.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Here's my $0.02 - I have a FS that is loads if fun on the chunky stuff but when it comes to all out speed, a hardtail is better. SO...what do you choose a 29er or 26? Seems these days it comes down to what you can afford - 29ers are "in" right now so the frames and all components seem to cost more. Most of us have to choose a bike that can handle all trails, thus my dilemma.....

74 & 29 pilot
    Quote Originally Posted by MTB Pilot View Post
    I have my old(haha) 2005 Trek 6500 still. I rode this baby a lot when I first bought it in Virginia, but when I finally returned to the West it didn't get much attention. I've been saying I'm going to sell it for a while and finally got it cleaned up and posted an ad on CL. First night guy came with his son-in-law and wanted it, but the stand over was about an inch too tall. This thing is in clean and in great shape! Still for sale and someone wants to see it this weekend, I think; The email exchange has been suspicious, so this may be a scammer. I just bought a new Fox 32 120 for my woman's Fuel Ex and trying to figure out what to do with the RockShox Recon Silver TK. Now I kind of hope it doesn't sell, cause if I can put spacers or a different coil it that fork, the 6500 is going to have a "rebirth." I have so many good quality Sram X.0, X.7, X.5 components and Avid Juicy 3 brake sets in the garage closet that I can build this to something I'd like to ride! Though the original Shimano 8 spd shifting still works so smoothly; I just don't like shifting with my index finger. I still love the look of this frame.

I LOVE BIKES

MTBP
    Guess I don't have to deal with using all my spare parts for upgrading it; Sold it for 300 bones today. Oh well, I never would have rode it out here on my rocky AZ trails.

Have fun hardtailers!!

MTBP
    Last edited by MTB Pilot; 11-04-2011 at 09:20 PM.
    MTBP
    "GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!"
    Turn on the truth: http://www.ronpaulchannel.com/

26 for life.

Flip yeah.
    Sent from the future to destroy the past.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    :>)
    Last edited by Kbarkley; 11-05-2011 at 11:48 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    One more 26" HT rider here (2008 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp).
    Starting from the esthetic point of view, I won't even consider a 29'er, even though i need a fairly large frame size (which balances out the huge wheels, more or less).
    That might be a bit short-sighted, but still, there's some things in the 26" HT range that i would like to try before i shove a 29'er under my butt.
    Mostly steel and titanium frames, that is, i'm not too fond of carbon frames. I want a mountainbike to be able to take some abuse, weight is of less importance to me.

I already rode that
    I ride a hardtail for city riding and always ride the FS offroad. Cant ever seeing going back to a hardtail for offroad. I am thinking about replacing the hardtail for a 29er though, just incase I want to ride offroad.
    Riding F/S since oct 94'

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperNewb View Post
    I ride a hardtail for city riding and always ride the FS offroad. Cant ever seeing going back to a hardtail for offroad. I am thinking about replacing the hardtail for a 29er though, just incase I want to ride offroad.
    having one of each setup for offroad > choosing between the two

mtbr member
    Im i guess what you would call a "newbie".But i have ridden my brothers Eastern Slash FS on a few trails and definitely would prefer to ride my DB Response 26" Hardtail.Its just a better feeling.

mtbr member
    Love my 26" wheeled HT. I can't stand the way 29er's ride.

If I wanted a Cadillac, I'd buy a f***n' Cadillac, not a mtn bike!

I'll never own a 29er. I feel they're a cheap cop-out on the trails, and feel noodley.

Not my forte'
    You in Oklahoma City? If yes, come ride with us.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I do! I like having options in the stable for different trails, weather conditions, and mood. My yo eddy just got a new wheelset and it feels awesome!

Accident Prone
    All I've ever ridden for mountain biking is 26" hardtails and I don't plan on changing that anytime soon. I'd like to get a fs at some point but right now I'm having fun with what I have.
    2012 Scott Scale Expert 29

Texan
    Who needs stinking suspension...

mtbr member
    I hated on my 26" rigid SS for 2 hours yesterday. Hammered it, yanked it, torqued it, stomped on it, pulled on it, jumped on it. Loved every minute.

wannabee
    still going...
    Last edited by giantbikeboy; 01-10-2012 at 08:00 PM.

mtbr member
    is that an Ellsworth sub22?
    Live fast, Die young, Leave a good looking corpse!

mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by seanb561 View Post
    Nice man! you got bitten by the mtn bug. I think you should ride more with the bike that you have, im riding a 2007 hardrock sport that ive upgraded piece by piece as parts failed. Im on a tight budget also and this is what has worked for me.

I wouldn't swap parts to a new frame if I was you, I would just buy a new bike when time comes. This is what I would do as it would be REALLY NICE to have a back up bike when my bike is unridable. If you powdercoat it why replace it then... na mean?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anybody still like their 26&quot; Hardtail?-img_0284.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    yes,I still like it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by hazmazk View Post
    Nice man! you got bitten by the mtn bug. I think you should ride more with the bike that you have, im riding a 2007 hardrock sport that ive upgraded piece by piece as parts failed. Im on a tight budget also and this is what has worked for me.

I wouldn't swap parts to a new frame if I was you, I would just buy a new bike when time comes. This is what I would do as it would be REALLY NICE to have a back up bike when my bike is unridable. If you powdercoat it why replace it then... na mean?
    nah i gotchya, but i'm thinkin this frame is a little to small for me, I always finding myself pushing my as farther back on the saddle to get a better position, more low down than sitting up right. and if the cost for a powder coat and new frame are about the same, Dont see why I wouldnt try a fame, especially with the return policies from price point and performance bike. Also saw some Giant Talon 3 frames on ebay for the mid 100's, dont know if those are legit though. btw, hazmazk, thats a nice lookin hardrock. (on a side note one of the best upgrades ive made is the ODI Roughe lock on grips, they are just awesome)

"Oldfart from Wayback"
    I still love my '84 full ridged DB Sorrento.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anybody still like their 26&quot; Hardtail?-uploadfromtaptalk1320729623109.jpg  

Last edited by ricky916; 11-09-2011 at 06:45 PM.

Titanium junkie
    I will stick to 26" HT, it's what I cut my teeth on. I have rode ALOT of new bikes,
    they just don't do it for me. Of all the bikes I have had, this one is going to stay
    with me! Airborne Lucky Strike Ti 1998
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anybody still like their 26&quot; Hardtail?-11-5-11-036.jpg  

Anybody still like their 26&quot; Hardtail?-11-5-11-037.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KiwiJohn View Post

Flip yeah.
    Words can not express the awesome. I'd shred with it!
    -Eric

mtbr member
    Aug 2006

No

I use mine as a grocery getter, am hoping someone steals it. I could use the space in the garage.
    11 Flint
    08 Monocog Flight
    06 X-Caliber
    96 F400 (SS townie)

08 Schwinn Sierra TDM (gravel tandem)

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Still love mine, especially with the new fork, need to get a few more things, then possibly buy a fs am frame..maybe or a ebay carbon frame.

Adventurous Hacker
    Jul 2004

I have two Fully's

One 5" and one 7". Love 'em both. Ride 'em as much as I can.

But there's still some days only the old, brutally stiff aluminum 26er feels right--even on rocky, technical trails.

Besides, the fullys allow me to get sloppy; after hitting some techy stuff and refining my skills on the old 26 HT, I find I can ride the hell outa' those trails on the fullys
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anybody still like their 26&quot; Hardtail?-1212372519.jpg  

All other things are rarely equal . . .

mtbr member
    Sep 2011

I like the 26" Hardtails still

I picked up a Motobecane Fantom Comp HT a few weeks ago to get back into trail/xc riding. It was the most like what I was used to riding in college about 20 years ago.I have enjoyed riding it and my back has yet to have any problems so far. I plan to ride the hell out of this one and if I prove to myself that I will commit to MB riding again then I will start looking at some of the options that are out there later to see if the 26" HT is the best long term solution.
    Peace
    Chris

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I still like my hardtail, its reliable and super fun to pump every little bump. Besides I am too poor to buy a nice full suspension.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I only have one bike, a 2010 Cannondale Flash F1 alloy with 26" wheels. Where I live and ride in Eastern Iowa this is a good bike. There are some technical trails, with roots, a few small drops, and lots of tight switches and short steep hills. A 26" hardtail matches the trails pretty well.

The trails are technical, but no where near as rough as you would see in the east or west. Riding a 29er or full suspension bike would make my trails too easy, and take all of the fun out of it. Who wants to be able to easily clean every section each time? I like to have to manual, lunge, hop, trackstand, etc, to get through the trail. I have practiced these for years so might as well use them.

Looking at the latest bike offerings from Cannondale, Spec, Trek, etc you do not see many high end 26" hardtails. It looks like custom frames are in my future.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I love my giant revel 2, though I am quite jealous of my brother's scott scale 29er comp

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    i just bought a GF 29er, and most would say my old 26er is obsolete. I get offers all the time to sell the thing, but i refuse to. getting another trail bike gave me an excuse to re-upgrade my 26er into my permanent commuter bike. i wish i would have done it earlier. slicks on a mtb are sweet! Still ride the thing daily. I have been through hell and back on that bike, and i don't think we are done yet.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Amen, brother! ^^^

Mr. Chaos Theory

26'ers are here to stay

I have my 2009 Trek 6000 as my daily commuter,
    and as backup / change from my 2009 Pivot Mach 5 and
    neither one is going anywhere anytime in the foreseeable future.
    I have ridden a Mach 429 29"er and had no love.
    But i would gladly trade in the Mach 5 for some Fire-bird action.
    WeLcOmE tO tHe CoLlEcTiVe.

2016 Spec. Fat Boy Trail
    2009 Pivot Mach 5
    Base of Operations NH USA

mtbr member
    Yes, love my 1999 Litespeed Obed. Not one original component on it except for the frame....BUT, I just bought a 2012 Lynskey Ridgeline 29er. I'm 6'-2", I was getting 29er wheel envy...

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I love my 2004 hardrock. Very entertaining on singletrack. I'm a poor college student so I haven't felt the need to buy a FS bike yet.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by elj164 View Post
    i just bought a GF 29er, and most would say my old 26er is obsolete. I get offers all the time to sell the thing, but i refuse to. getting another trail bike gave me an excuse to re-upgrade my 26er into my permanent commuter bike. i wish i would have done it earlier. slicks on a mtb are sweet! Still ride the thing daily. I have been through hell and back on that bike, and i don't think we are done yet.
    Werd. I now have snow-tires on my Trek 800, haha. But slicks are fun on an mtb on pavement! Ever had one foot down on a commuter with a back rack, horn and panniers in a corner? People give you the funniest looks! I love it!
    -Eric

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Love my 98' GF hookoo, It has put a sh@t a$$ grin on my face every time I throw my leg over it. Has been my only ride for the past 13 yrs. and I don't plan on changing it anytime soon.

I say ride what you want and have fun, but I will stick with this. Thank you very much.
    Just remember,Where ever you go there you are...

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    2001 Jamis Dragon with Fox, XTR. On the rough trails, it's hard to enjoy. On those I use 29er full suspension. But just commuting and messing around, it is almost more fun than real riding. Almost.

Chubby Chaser
    I'm old school, I grew up riding 26" hardtails and after years of hiatus when I finally got back into biking that's all that I'm riding. I finished my carbon hard tail build last weekend and that bike is definitely going to see years of use.

I wasn't very impressed by 29er's and when I finally get a FS it's going to be a DH rig.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    My first proper mountain bike, a 2001 Trek 6700. Bought/inherited through family and friends. Under 20 pounds? No. Kashima coating? No. Disc brakes? No. But thats all ok. It climbs like a chairlift, and descends as well as you can. Mostly stock except for pedals, rear derailleur, and water cage. Yeah, an it works. Will I ever upgrade to a FS? Definitely. As with most of us, however, we will all remember our first proper mountain bike, a 26er hardtail. Long live 26ers!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011

So far so good

Just threw this together about a week ago and love it so far.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    how she sits as of now,
    bunch of new parts coming in in the next few weeks hopefully.
    put a bronson 2.1 up front and a conti gravity pro 2.3 in the rear, shorter stem.
    new rotors, wellgo b132 pedals next.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Love my 26" hardtail. Can't see me ever getting a 29'er, emperors new clothes......

mtbr member

I love mine!

Livin' the dream.
    Sep 2011
    Love my 26er, put flats on and use it for a utility mtb since I got my 29" xc...

mtbr member
    man, I want one of those tomacs, those are so cool.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    For all the talk of how much better 29ers roll over stuff I have to say I was stopping and waiting for my 29er riding buddy on a recent excursion that was full of rock gardens. Literally I'd ride two minutes downhill then pull over and stop for a good half a minute. In the meantime I was really booking, and turning every other rock into a launch pad.

bi-winning
    My rigid 26" bike makes for a good commuter, and a passable bad weather MTB.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    This is my ride Bought it like this, exept I have a flat bar with 5 degree backsweep now.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anybody still like their 26&quot; Hardtail?-ononeinbred.jpg  

tragapistas
    I love my 26'' hardtail, it's my only bike!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Just built this up last week..

mtbr member

Dinosaurs

Hey all you 26er hardtail lovers. Enjoy them while you can. They are going the way of the 8 track player. 29ers (especially hardtails) are worlds better than those little wheels.

Well, that's my opinion!

Texan
    Quote Originally Posted by KarlP View Post
    Hey all you 26er hardtail lovers. Enjoy them while you can. They are going the way of the 8 track player. 29ers (especially hardtails) are worlds better than those little wheels.

Well, that's my opinion!
    Thanks. Next thing we know is bar ends are gone and riser bars are all the rage. Or is it back to flat bars? Or steel framed rigids?

see me rollin, they hatin
    this isnt my bike, but i borrow it alot. its steel and pretty damn light. climbs beautifully, but the only issue is, i was coming from a bigger travel full suspension, so when i jumped on this little guy, i forgot how to ride it, and i was riding it like I was stilll on my FS. In the end, i bent the derailuer and nearly died plowing down a rocky hill. it takes time getting used to!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by abecallejo View Post
    I love my 26'' hardtail, it's my only bike!!

Nice looking bike!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Well, that's my opinion!
    cool story bro.

see me rollin, they hatin
    that scares me. i'm little, and every 29er i've looked at has way too long of a top tube, even in size small. they hate short people.

Titanium junkie

Well, that's my opinion!
    And remember, opinions are like a**holes, 26" wheels will be around longer than your
    opinion. I do still enjoy my flatbars and 80mm Zoke from 2000. Why is it people with
    older rides still love em, and people with newer rides always seem to want something
    different and the "Next best thing".

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I like it better then my 29er HT. Below is a pic of my GF's bike but we used to have the same rides.

2008 Specialized Rockhopper Disc
    -Odi Rogue Grips
    -Serfas Saddle
    -Sunline V1 Peddles
    -2011 Rockshox Reba RLT Fork
    -WTB Velociraptor Folding Tires
    -BioLogic iPhone Mount

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    When I want to get that "one-with-the-trail" feel I leave the 29er hardatil at home and load up the Bontrager OR. For me a rigid 26er is what I started riding on back in the mid 80's and its still the best bike to bring a smile to my face.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jocke.n View Post
    This is my ride Bought it like this, exept I have a flat bar with 5 degree backsweep now.
    Fantastic bike!

@ Call_me_Tom: Cool stand

tragapistas
    Quote Originally Posted by TomactypeX View Post
    Nice looking bike!
    thanks, i'm glad you like it
    it's has an ultralight 2005 Orbea Lanza frame, Marzocchi fork, Avid V-brakes and the rest are Shimano XT

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by abecallejo View Post
    thanks, i'm glad you like it
    it's has an ultralight 2005 Orbea Lanza frame, Marzocchi fork, Avid V-brakes and the rest are Shimano XT
    I hate to admit this, but I miss v-brakes. Stuff gets to where you need so many specialized tools to fix on the trail now. Orbea makes a great bike.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by keke View Post
    Fantastic bike!

@ Call_me_Tom: Cool stand
    HAHAHA...! Besides MTB'n shooting is my other hobby. I was cleaning my weapons alongside cleaning the bikes. If I hadn't cropped the pic you'd have seen my other toys.

mtbr member
    Still happy with my Specialized Rockhopper, caliper brakes and all. Of course I have never been on a 29er.

What's not to like when it gets you here.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk
    Last edited by luvdabeach2001; 11-24-2011 at 01:09 PM.
    "Never let the facts get in the way of a good story."
    Mark Twain?

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    Yep, quite a bit.

Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

mtbr member

I will always have a 26er hardtail in my quiver. If I should ever (god forbid) have to make due with a single bike it'd be a hard choice between my 456 or my all-mountain FS.
    The force that through the green fuse drives the flower drives my green age
    That blasts the root of trees is my destroyer

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scrublover View Post
    Yep, quite a bit.

What frame is that?
    -Eric

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    Quote Originally Posted by esundell90 View Post
    What frame is that?
    Transition Bikes TransAM
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

mtbr member

Interesting thread...

I have owned 6 steel 26er ht's, 1 steel 26er softail, 3 steel 29er ht's (geared, ss and ss rigid) and 1 ti 29er ss ht. Tried my first 29er in 2005 and never looked back. I am 6ft 2in 245lbs (not fat either) and the 29er just fits my frame much, much better.
    Always loved riding my 26ers though, they taught me how to ride . No interest in fs 26er or 29er. That being said, a Specialized 29 fs Epic is kicking all @sses in World cup xc racing.
    EAST COAST
    CLYDESDALE
    DREADLOCKED
    STEEL RIDER

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Love my 26 inch Rockhopper.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    ive converted. 26 is dead to me...29'er all the way.

Give it a crank
    I don't ride my 26" HT on the same trails I ride the FS, but it's always my ride for recovery rides along bike and gravel paths. It's a 2005 Trek 4300 I found on Craigslist in bad shape for next to nothing.

With every upgraded component it gets sweeter and sweeter. This week's upgrade: replacing the cantilever brakes & shifters with hydro disc brakes and new shifters. An air fork is on the radar.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary H View Post
    Who needs stinking suspension...

love the VOODOO

mtbr member
    I am sure just about everybody starts off with a 26 inch hard tail. I would never get rid of mine.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I sold mine. But i had more fun on my 26in Trek than any of my 29ers.

mtbr member

Yep sure do

thanx all you cool aid drinkers who're selling your 26ers CHEAP, here's my latest build. Made a stupid low late night drunk bid on the frame on fleabay and won it. Once I got it I realized I had most everything I need to build it up in my garage, so $200 all up. Gotta say I was an early adopter of FS, like '95 early. I found that I'm going WAY to fast on my FS, so to slow it down and still keep it exiting I've pretty much switched to hardtails.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anybody still like their 26&quot; Hardtail?-gunnar-sm.jpg  

mtbr member
    Love mine.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anybody still like their 26&quot; Hardtail?-100_3102.jpg  

mtbr member
    I'm about to love my old Homegrown a whole lot more for awhile. I'm in the process of building a new Tracer and will be selling my old one shortly so I can afford the new ride. Gonna get some quality rigid SS riding in until the new ride is done.

mtbr member
    That Karakaram is awesome. I love that color.

mtbr member

Luv Luv Luv it!!!

Will always have a 26er ht in the fleet for sure!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anybody still like their 26&quot; Hardtail?-img_0557.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Man, I love going fully rigid. Granted I have never owned a FS, but I love the challenge and the thrill it gives me. Maybe I'm just an addict for the brutal treatment of the bumpy ride, but man oh man it's great fun!

mtbr member
    Gunnar. Gunnar. Gunnar.

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast