Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Not here. Every time I ride a 26" hardtail, I feel like someone just beat me up compared to riding my 29er. I can't tell much difference in "snappy handling" or acceleration, but I can tell a difference when I roll over a bunch of roots. The 26er hardtails feel like I am hitting the brakes. Could just be my lack of skills though.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by erik1245 View Post
    Tha's not a hardtail.
    SHHHH

Somebody flipped his lockout, and he doesn't know.
    "What kind of bike? I don't know, I'm not a bike scientist."

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I absolutely loved my 2005 Trek 6500 (like the OP). It was my first real mountain bike that didn't come from walmart. Stood up to five years of abuse. I've tried friends' fs bikes and just didn't like the feel - I grew up on bmx, and hardtail mountain bikes are all I've liked since. A few months ago I finally broke the frame on the 6500, and I'm definitely replacing it with another hardtail!

SNMBA
    Mar 2010
    I'm poor so I only have the 1 bike, but I ride EVERYTHING on it. Including downhill trails. I've ridden the fancy FS 29er's but rolling over everything isn't as fun as the challenge of picking just the right line. Must be the Auto-X/Road Racer in me that just won't die.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anybody still like their 26" Hardtail?-highres_20109281.jpg  

mtbr member

Some beautiful bikes here.

I have three, here is a pick of mine that has the most miles. Although, right now I typically ride a 120mm fs since I live next to some pretty rocky and steep trails. I spent three months in Mississippi and Tennessee last summer and put in some good miles on my HT. All three of mine are aluminum, Homegrown, Zaskar, and Attitude. I would like to ride a carbon HT and see how that rides.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anybody still like their 26" Hardtail?-gt-full.jpg  

Live fast, Die young, Leave a good looking corpse!

SpecRH
    May 2009
    still a huge fan of my 26" 1x9.

i ride some choppy little tight trails, and i like to feel the ground beneath me and bang out roots and rocks instead of plushly soaking them up with an FS.

Plan to ride HT FOOORREEEEEVVVVVEEEERRRRR ( sandlot voice)
    MTB : 2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er
    MTB SS : 2010 Specialized RH
    ROAD: 2011 Specialized Tarmac Comp
    TOY: Trek 1000

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I love my 26" Gary Fisher Tass. I've ridden 29er FS but not as fun

Ow!
    There are places and times for riding my FSs, but the most fun is on my hardtail. Smooth or rocky, it is the bike that puts a stupid grin (not silly grin--stupid grin!) on my face. Yes, I usually limit those rides to 2 hours or less on my rocky trails, and there is a higher chance of a sore back, and sore everything. But it is the most fun.

I had started to launch off stuff on my hardtail in the last year. I did not want to break my expensive, custom, steel xc hardtail, so I bought an On-One 456 for when I feel like hitting it hard. That puts a stupid grin on my face too.

Rented a 29er hardtail a few years ago to see what that was about. It rode fine, but not that different from my 26er. No need to invest in a different wheel size.

mtbr member
    I still love my 26 HT too, here's an inspirational video, watch Ninos magic starting around 1:30, but watch the whole thing.....

http://freecaster.tv/mountainbike/10...nt-sainte-anne

bringer of doom
    Just look at this thing and tell me it doesn't put the spring in your pants: http://yetifan.com/mikewultimate111.jpg

Last edited by p.doering; 08-01-2011 at 09:14 PM.
    Ride on, Anthony.

mtbr member
    That course looks crazy. Great looking yet.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Yeah, I ride a whole bunch of 29rs..... Just not as good as my two 26ers though.
    I also have a 700c, or I mean 29r....or wait...no, it's a 700c. Whatever the hell you're supposed to call em'. I think 29rs are pathetically overrated, but the 700c?....now there's a real man's wheel!
    PoisonDogFart

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scrublover View Post
    Yes.
    Though I will admit to having lustful thoughts over something like a Banshee Paradox with large fork. Something like that will probably eventually replace my 26er hardtail, but I'm not exactly in a hurry.

Since, you know, you couldn't possibly ride a kiddie wheel hardtail on anything but smooth and mellow trails.
    I have a Santa Cruz Chameleon and just bought a Fisher X-Caliber. The X-Cal showed me that I could like the big wheels, I'd even go as far as to say I like them better*, but it's not nearly as fun as my Chameleon when the trail gets interesting.

If the paradox is half as good as I think it will be, it'll replace both my X-Cal and Chameleon. I've got some deciding to do over the winter. I'm either going to add a GF Rumblefish or replace the X-cal with a paradox, or do both if finances allow. I don't think the Chameleon will be replaced until I try a paradox though.

* I thought about qualifying liking the big wheels better to say I like them better on the buff to semi-buff trail I ride in Wisconsin, but then I thought about it. I took the X-Cal back to PA this summer and beat the piss out of it and was totally surprised with how well it handles the rough stuff. It was the XC geometry and short fork that held me back, not the big wheels. If anything the big wheels helped on the root invested trails I ride when I go visit my parents. Put those big wheels on something with a longer fork and a little more playful geometry and I think it would totally eliminate my love for my chameleon. I just wonder if the Paradox would be as fun as the Chameleon at a place like Ray's MTB Parks.

mtbr member
    I tore down my TREK 8500 and moved most of the parts to my new Air 9… Been thinking about building up the 8500 again, but doing it real nice. All I need is a drive train, breaks and a saddle!
    Work Hard 2 Play Hard!!!

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Fat Chance Yo Eddie. Steel is real.

mtbr member

In January I had a 26er, 29er and an FS bike.
    This arrived in early May.
    Now I have no 29er and no FS bike.
    If I ever catch someone trying to steal it, I'll drop them down a mine shaft.
    I really, really like this bike in all it's 1.5 and small wheeled madness.
    This bike can do anything, I've yet to ride a 29er I thought could do everything as well as this.

Also, on steeps I found the 29er (medium Inbred) would buzz my crotch, anyone else get that?

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Fix the Spade View Post

In January I had a 26er, 29er and an FS bike.
    This arrived in early May.
    Now I have no 29er and no FS bike.
    If I ever catch someone trying to steal it, I'll drop them down a mine shaft.
    I really, really like this bike in all it's 1.5 and small wheeled madness.
    This bike can do anything, I've yet to ride a 29er I thought could do everything as well as this.

Also, on steeps I found the 29er (medium Inbred) would buzz my crotch, anyone else get that?
    effin' sweet... what is it? post specs!

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I have a 1992 Kestrel that I still love. She and I have been through many miles and good times.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fix the Spade View Post
    No, but if mine did that, I would never sell it!

mikeb
    hey hero, that's a real nice shot of your c dale.

i still love my 26er HT. as a matter of fact, riding my fully rigid 29er HT makes me ride better on the 26er.

i rode one of the new salsa FS 29er's a week ago though and let me tell you, my next new bike will be a niner dualie when the prices get reasonable or i start making more money...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

skaterqwertyuiop

I ride my hardtail everywhere but lift accessed trails and one particular local DH trail.
    I'll upload a better pic from the trails soon.
    It's not about what bike you ride, but how hard you tear it up

mtbr member
    1992 Kestral???!!! Well you sir have clearly not been doing your part to support the bicycle industry.

mtbr member
    Only ride hardtails, for some reason. Have both 29 and 26, with the 26 single speed being ridden all the time at the moment. A lot of fun!

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I can't ever imagine being without a 26" hardtail mtn bike. Here are pics of my 1997 Specialized Stumpjumper M2 and 1998 Specialized Stumpjumper M2 Pro hardtails. Including these, I've owned 3 Stumpy M2's over the years.

I've also included a pic of my 1997 DBR V-Link Pro Carbon Fiber dualie, which I largely ride as a hardtail (with rear shock locked out most of the time). I'm looking to replace that bottom feeder Manitou on the DBR with a vintage Marzocchi Z2 or Z1 Bomber, similar to the one on my 1998 Stumpy.

I've become spoiled with the plushness of my FSR Stumpjumper Comp dualie, which I ride exclusively on longer rides because the hardtails beat me up too much on any ride longer than 10 miles.

I, too, owned a 29er, but it felt too sluggish to me - it weighed around 31 lbs. However, I'd bet I would like a lighter weight model because I did appreciate how a 29er seemed to iron out the trails like a 26er could never do.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anybody still like their 26" Hardtail?-1997-stumpjumper-m2.jpg  

Anybody still like their 26" Hardtail?-1998-specialized-stumpjumper-pro-m2.jpg  

Anybody still like their 26" Hardtail?-dbr-v-link-pro-carbon-fiber-2.jpg  

An original MTBR "old phart"

Dirt Huffer
    29er is too sluggish for me and not as easy to flick. So I'll stick with 26.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by AC/BC View Post
    29er is too sluggish for me and not as easy to flick. So I'll stick with 26.
    Ding! Same feeling here.

mtbr member
    tl;dr but... no

mtbr member

Smile

I have a trek 8500 and the thing is a blast! It's so responsive and you know exactly what the bike it doing. I recently bought a SantaCruz blur xc and I still need to get it set up right, but riding back to back, the Trek holds it's own.

I can't say on a 29er ......

This is what I always wanted but never found one >

and here is another I wish I had >

..and finally, this is what I have .... I think it's a year older than the above examples, like a Y2K model>

Last edited by Dr. Tweedbucket; 08-04-2011 at 04:38 AM.
    Mountain bike riding is the new dirt bike riding. It's cheaper and you don't get shot at as often.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I've only ridden 2 mtb hardtails. First was a Speesh P1.AM, now I ride an Evil Sovereign. I love my steel hardtail & with high volume tires, it's very comfortable going over roots n rocks. A FS bike would be fun but the trails I ride the most simply do not require it. Like some have said, the hardtail makes it more fun as I have smooth flowy trails with tech, rough sections.

mtbr member
    Still ride my "vintage" Stumpjumper once in a while!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FSR.Dude View Post
    Here are pics of my 1997 Specialized Stumpjumper M2 .
    Great bike! I have the same M2 in the stand right now being reborn as a 1x9 rigid with mustache bars.

I love my 26 hardtails and have yet to find a 29er that feels a nimble and responsive as they do. I've ridden everything from C-dale to Specialized GF and Trek but nothing I have found compares to the smile I get from my Klein or Stumpy 26er.

Ride,Smile, Pedal Damn it

26 or 29er??

I'm still loving my 26 SS. My Niner feels big and slow. I like the Niner, but I'm not sure if i miss the SS or the 26. Anybody else? Thanks

Big John
    Quote Originally Posted by centershot View Post
    Wondering if I'm the last one - I still very much enjoy riding my Trek 6500 hardtail. I find it fairly light and quick on the trails - easy to flick around and catch a little air from time to time. All I see are 29er F/S bikes - makes me wonder if I'm the last of a dieing breed.
    I have the very same bike, with many upgraded parts, mind you. And it's a few years old. And it still passes 29ers, 26ers, dual suspensions, rigids, etc. just fine. You are not the last one, by any means. I love my hardtail, especially when I'm booking it up climbs, then bombing down the other side (I love tubeless tires, too). I think if you're happy with whatever bike you own, a high level of zen will exist, and you will just kinda become one with the bike and flow on it. I'm not knocking any tire size or suspension preference, but I'm pretty happy with what I've got. I started out on a 26 HT, and will continue to dance with the one who brought me.
    Road, mountain, commute, CX... who cares? Shut up and ride!

Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by henrymiller1 View Post
    I'm still loving my 26 SS. My Niner feels big and slow. I like the Niner, but I'm not sure if i miss the SS or the 26. Anybody else? Thanks
    This is a question with no definite answer. Which is why I say get both.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    first mountain bike, started off as a 2003 avalanche small
    this

into this

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Yes, I still like my 26" hardtail. I've heard some folks declare that the 26er hardtail is obsolete and dead...my bike doesn't feel dead, it feels very much alive and well, thank you very much. Absolute statements like that are silly.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Tweedbucket View Post
    I have a trek 8500 and the thing is a blast! It's so responsive and you know exactly what the bike it doing. I recently bought a SantaCruz blur xc and I still need to get it set up right, but riding back to back, the Trek holds it's own.

I can't say on a 29er ......

This is what I always wanted but never found one >

and here is another I wish I had >

..and finally, this is what I have .... I think it's a year older than the above examples, like a Y2K model>

i'm about to sell my 2001 Trek 8500 (the red one you have posted at the very top).

it's got a criminally low number of miles on it, but the paint is pretty beat up thanks to some recent spills and my girlfriend attempting to mount our bikes without me (her pedals literally tore off a ton of paint, it's depressing). i'm thinking of parting it out, let me know if you're interested. it's a 17.5", everything works absolutely perfect. i just bought a Santa Cruz Chameleon that's more my size which is the only reason I'm selling. Unfortunately, I can't afford to keep both. I would love to keep my 8500 for future builds and stuff, it's incredibly light.

mtbr member
    Hi, my name is Chris. I am old and brittle, I have a long stem and bar ends, and I ride a hardtail. I have been riding a hardtail ever since I started riding over 35 years ago. I started on smaller hardtails, but then, they got bigger and more expensive. Now, when I am not riding a hardtail, I find myself thinking about riding a hardtail. I have even had dreams about it. I have even found myself waking up early, and yes, riding my hardtail. I often ride my hardtail alone, but sometimes with others. Last weekend, I rode my hardtail and then drove home, only to find myself riding my hardtail again.

http://forums.mtbr.com/attachment.ph...1&d=1312494147
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anybody still like their 26" Hardtail?-img_0403.jpg  

mtbr member
    He said hardtail 9 times in a single post.

He's clearly obsessed.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Tweedbucket View Post
    looks like you like trek lol there's a local guy selling a 06 8900 zr frame for $140, if your interested i can talk to him

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ricky916 View Post
    looks like you like trek lol there's a local guy selling a 06 8900 zr frame for $140, if your interested i can talk to him
    what size? that's a sweet frame.

Toro
    I made the mistake of choosing a 26er hardtail instead of a 29er when I bought my first mountain bike. I'm glad I did. The 29er rolls so easily over stuff. It keeps its momentum so much better. Why would I prefer it? I liked Ford power growing up. Sure, I could have gone Chevy or Chrysler big block but I enjoyed getting everything I could out of my 302/347 small block. I feel the same way about the 26er. I like that it's a bit more rough riding than the 29er. I just enjoy the challenge. Will I go to a 29er in the future? Highly likely. But there's no way anyone is ever taking my 26er HT away from me. Nope. Not happening.

Lets ride!
    Aug 2011
    I have a 26" hardtail and 29er f/s.
    I often find myself riding my hardtail more often. Hardtail will always be deep in my blood.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bridgestone14 View Post
    I have three, here is a pick of mine that has the most miles. Although, right now I typically ride a 120mm fs since I live next to some pretty rocky and steep trails. I spent three months in Mississippi and Tennessee last summer and put in some good miles on my HT. All three of mine are aluminum, Homegrown, Zaskar, and Attitude. I would like to ride a carbon HT and see how that rides.
    super jelly
    love that bike

Mountain Man Dan
    I loooooooooooooooooove mine.

mtbr member
    Just bought a brand new Stumpy FSR but am still in love with my rigid single speed

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by newnan3 View Post
    How does scandium ride?
    It's a Quiring, so it is light and stiff but not harsh

mtbr member
    Yep, I actually just gave my old Jamis HT to my nephew and went to a 29r. Miss the hell out of my old friend and I'm thinking about being an Indian Giver and asking for it back!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I haven't ridden my 29'er rigid in awhile. Having too much fun on these, which many think are "on their way out"

LOVE

LOVE

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I like mine enough to resist spending money on any thing nicer and newer. Ride the heck out of this 12 year old Trek ZX7000. Smiling the whole time!
    It's fairly light, tough, and climbs like crazy. Sometimes I get FS envy when following a FS rig down a rooty hill, but enjoy the challenge of picking my lines to avoid the big stuff.
    Here it is after a little muddier ride than we expected.

Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast