Page 4 of 40 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by polandspring88 View Post
    If you haven't already you should probably take that reflector off of the fork stanction.
    Hey, are you Swedish?

Because Swedes (and I should know, I'm surrounded by them, I live in MN), are more likely than any other group of people I've come across to come up with solutions to problems that don't exist. They also tend to think that words such as "unlikely" and "remote" are synonyms to "impending" and "assuredly."
    Last edited by Mr. 68 Hundred; 07-20-2011 at 07:21 PM. Reason: I can't remember
    Proponent for an Evidence Driven Life.

mtbr member
    While i do want a FS 26er in the near future, my hardtail 26 has served me very well and still gets treated like my #1 bike b/c it is. Ive tried 29ers just lightly (at work) and i dont like the feeling of reduced agility (im also just 5'8").
    Whats crazy is how quickly theyve faded. Giant doesnt even make a 26" hardtail over ~600 bucks anymore... Kinda sad

mtbr member
    Ride a "26er" pretty much all of the time. Barely ride my 6" bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I have two 26" HTs. I'll get a FS when I'm old, brittle, and don't care about the line I take.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I've tried to ride full suspension, but I just can't get into it. But then again, I haven't ridden a super-high end FS yet.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by erik1245 View Post
    I got 70mm of barely working squish on my 26" hardtail. It's got v-brakes too. And only one gear.

My current project involves a fixed/freewheel hub, 700c wheels with fat(ter) tires around 28mm or so, and an old Schwinn frame.

I have yet to drink the 29" or the FS Kool Aid. I doubt (read "hope") I never will.
    um, i hate to be the one to break this to you but 700c = 29". hows that kool aid tasting?

having said that, i also rock a hardtail 26er, POS fuji that i got on the cheap. its light and fast and fun.....

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I started with a trek hmmm 750 I think back in92-93, upgraded to a Klein fervor blue nebula loaded, weight 22#, moved back 2 US it got stolen, then bought a rockmountain element t.o. fs, was a pretty nice ride & rode it for yrs. just wasn't the same as my Klein, found a 96 Klein attitude pro on Craigslist, put some new rubber on it, spd's, took it for a ride and sporting wood the rest of the day. That's what was missing the last 10 yrs, I'm 46 and still prefer the hardtail but to each their own

mtbr member
    Thanks guys, I don't feel so lonely anymore!

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    This thread is killing me..... Currently on a Trek 4300. Bought a pair last year for me and my wife. I have offroad motorcycle(s) and was looking for something me and the wife could do. I never thought she would be tearing up the trails like she does. She goes all the time...even when I'm at work. Hits all the rough stuff and rides very well.

So my buddy bought a GF High Five 29er. I usually can keep a good pace in front of him. Not any more. I was watching him last weekend on a trail we usually ride. It has a lot of half buried rocks sticking out on a bunch of the turns. He just glided over the stuff and pulls ahead while I bounce all over. So now I'm really wanting a FS bike. But I also like simplicity and low maintenance.

I have not rode a FS bicycle yet but seeing him pull so far ahead of me now has me really thinking about a new Camber.

Question - will there be a huge difference stepping up to a better HT or will it take that FS bike to catch my buddy now? Because now I'm debating on a potential FS bike purchase....or will it take that FS 29er to catch him now?

BTW: I never thought riding a bike could be so much fun. Just as or more then a motorcycle.....we have some great trails around here.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by KiwiJohn View Post
    Flipping A.
    29ers are just a passing fad. Like bar ends & long stems.
    Custom painted frame, or what is it?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ThumperGary View Post
    This thread is killing me..... Currently on a Trek 4300. Bought a pair last year for me and my wife. I have offroad motorcycle(s) and was looking for something me and the wife could do. I never thought she would be tearing up the trails like she does. She goes all the time...even when I'm at work. Hits all the rough stuff and rides very well.

So my buddy bought a GF High Five 29er. I usually can keep a good pace in front of him. Not any more. I was watching him last weekend on a trail we usually ride. It has a lot of half buried rocks sticking out on a bunch of the turns. He just glided over the stuff and pulls ahead while I bounce all over. So now I'm really wanting a FS bike. But I also like simplicity and low maintenance.

I have not rode a FS bicycle yet but seeing him pull so far ahead of me now has me really thinking about a new Camber.

Question - will there be a huge difference stepping up to a better HT or will it take that FS bike to catch my buddy now? Because now I'm debating on a potential FS bike purchase....or will it take that FS 29er to catch him now?

BTW: I never thought riding a bike could be so much fun. Just as or more then a motorcycle.....we have some great trails around here.
    It may be the fact that its a 29er is why hes pulling ahead, or his riding ability has gone up, not just suspension. From my experience where suspension makes you quicker is on the decent.
    -Eric
    Keeping the hardtail dream alive, one ride at a time.

the truth
    i personally would rather ride a hard tail any day! trails or not

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ThumperGary View Post

I've seen the same thing riding with guys on F/S bikes - there's no denying they are faster on the choppy trails - when things are smooth (the trails I like most anyway) and especially smooth and uphill I'm right with them. Proper air pressure goes a long way to a good riding hardtail. The biggest difference between the 2 bikes in your comparison is about $2000. I don't race (anymore) so a second or two here and there does not matter too much. I enjoy picking my lines and avoiding rocks instead of slamming them. And personally I like the most efficient (read as easiest) way to the top of the hill, comming back down has never been the problem. A Steel 29er hardtail may just be the best of both worlds.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by esundell90 View Post
    It may be the fact that its a 29er is why hes pulling ahead, or his riding ability has gone up, not just suspension. From my experience where suspension makes you quicker is on the decent.
    +1

I live in south florida, most of our trails are pretty straight and flat with half-buried rocks and roots sticking out. my brother and I both had 26" HT's and I would go into the trail 10 seconds ahead of him, and come out 45 seconds ahead.

then he bought a 29er.

he picked up a new GF Cobia HT 29er, and he smokes me. he's coming out of trails at least 20-30 seconds ahead of me. granted, he's gotten better, but those big wheels make a massive difference on our kind of terrain.

i don't think a FS 26er would be much help, on the contrary, it may even hurt you if you're riding straight-aways.

on the bright side, if you guys were to go at it on very technical singletrack with lots of climbs, you should be able to kick his butt

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Back in the mid 90's I swore I would never buy a FS, 15 years later I have never even thought about buying one. 15 years from now, I will have never even thought about buying a 29er.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I am pretty fresh into mountain biking having not ridden since I was a teenager and I'm now 32.
    I have a Giant Rincon 26 hardtail and I love it. I have never ridden a 29er but I don't really think I need to.
    I test rode a couple of FS bikes before I settled on a hardtail and I gotta say.....being 250 pounds (down from almost 280 btw) I haven't ridden a FS bike that didn't just feel like a mushy piece of crap to me. Like riding a big fluffy marshmallow down the trail.
    Of course I'm sure if I had wheelbarrows full of cash to spend I could get one set up just right for my fat butt, but I don't have wheelbarrows full of cash so it's a good ole hardtail for me and I love it so far.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    congrats on the weight loss! But no matter how much you lose, the 26" HT will always feel more fun!

mtbr member
    I see no reason to ride anything but a 26 HT. FS or 29 doesn't interest me.
    Mike
    2011 Moto Fly Pro

Break it, Fix it, Ride it
    I sure like mine, but it has 1.25" slicks, a rear rack, a basket, a bell and gets me to work everyday.
    Today's the day I eat bikes.

Bro
    Where I do my thinking
    Quote Originally Posted by thumbprinter View Post
    um, i hate to be the one to break this to you but 700c = 29". hows that kool aid tasting?

having said that, i also rock a hardtail 26er, POS fuji that i got on the cheap. its light and fast and fun.....
    700c x 23mm road slicks sure ain't the same as 29" mtb knobbies.
    I've made some bad decisions like taking the gears off my bike. So here's the warning: Do not as I say, nor as I do.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I have a 26 ht and also a 29er ht and boy are they different. I enjoy more ridng my 29er than my 26 since it rolls easier over obstacles, but definetly ht...
    I may not be the best but i pedal like the rest!

Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by thumbprinter View Post
    You do know 700x28 is much closer in size to a 26 x 2.x than a 29er wheel, right?

EDIT: eric1245 already covered it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I only have a 26r. Steel, hardtail, rigid fork, geared and feared.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Its my race bike...........

P1070196

balance_fit
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by centershot View Post
    Wondering if I'm the last one - I still very much enjoy riding my Trek 6500 hardtail. I find it fairly light and quick on the trails - easy to flick around and catch a little air from time to time. All I see are 29er F/S bikes - makes me wonder if I'm the last of a dieing breed.
    You're not part of a dissapearing breed: my wife rides a 26er hardtail, because she likes the way it climbs, handles in tight singletrack and, costs way less to maintain....it's 1 x 9 too. She's tried FS, 29er, 27 gears...none beat her trusty 26er !
    In my own case, i also ride a HT...with a rigid fork ! Although, i may be a little off thread because it's a 29er...at least, i qualify for the light and simple mentality because it's a singlespeed ... i've also been through the FS, multigeared experience and have settled for less and more at the same time.
    Be well !
    Simple, not easy.

Page 4 of 40 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast