Page 39 of 40 FirstFirst ... 29 35 36 37 38 39 40 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2007
    Got my bike back after the build up... everything I've been dreaming of since 1999, except maybe an air fork.

Eric

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    I had that same WTB seat on my 2001 Indian fire trail . Man I miss that bike!

Sent from my C811 4G using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by skyphix View Post
    Got my bike back after the build up... everything I've been dreaming of since 1999, except maybe an air fork.

I've gotta say, that looks like it's going to be a lot of fun to ride!

mtbr member
    May 2007

Re: Anybody still like their 26" Hardtail?

Quote Originally Posted by peteer01 View Post
    I've gotta say, that looks like it's going to be a lot of fun to ride!
    I'll find out tomorrow, most likely! Should be fun though. Easy to lift the front wheel but feels planted, nice and stable but still plenty flickable. Only concern is how it will climb but I'm not too worried.
    Eric

mtbr member
    She is home! and I lover her lol - I tried a Rockhopper 29er but is just not my thing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anybody still like their 26" Hardtail?-cam00170.jpg  

2013 Cannondale Trail SL 3

"You will never ride alone"

southernal
    yep .. mine 26" hardtail is all I have.. has 150mm bombers, upgrading to a new model of the same- 180 / 160 rotors, kore bars / stem . is a scott aspect ...

id love a soft tail ,, but love my hard too might have to have both I guess.... future

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Anybody still like their 26" Hardtail?-image.jpg
    I bought this bike new in 1994 and the wheels a couple of years later. I have upgraded all of the components over the years and I still love the way this bike handles on the trails. The bike gets allot of looks and it's fun talking to newbies who can't believe this bike is 20 years old. I'll be on a 13 mile ride with it today. Happy riding!

inner peace to make peace
    yep. broke my old 26er steel hardtail frame. now looking for a light steel or carbon frame for XC race that as a good warranty.

a 26er hardtail with UST tubeless rear-wheel (with dual big hydraulic disk brakes) and a 26er DH race bike are what i want.
    The state that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards & its fighting by fools.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Mine is just amazing. Climbs like a goat and cuts like a knife, so nimble and quick. That sounds lame but it's true. 2010 Rockhopper SL Expert. I decked it out and went 1x10. 24 lbs

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Anybody still like their 26" Hardtail?-resized-p1010014.jpgjust got back into mountain biking and built a Tomac hardtail from the frame up...
    Last edited by Hon Mac; 07-23-2014 at 03:04 AM. Reason: added photo...

mtbr member
    Anybody still like their 26" Hardtail?-diamondback-response-28lbs.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by eicca View Post
    Is that a Suntour Epicon I see? How do you like it?
    I have one too. I have nothing to compare it to other than my Rockshox Quadra 5 on my other bike. The Epicon is really plush and does the job well for what I do(Black diamond trails, 2ft drops, XC trails). I can't imagine paying 500+ for a fork. I got my Epicon off Amazon for 199 free shipping from China. I don't have any complaints about it either.

Brackish
    I just picked up a new-to-me 26" hardtail and after the first ride today I'm loving it. Transition Vagrant with a Fox Float 36, Mavic Dee Max wheels and a brand new Shimano Zee 1x10 drivetrain: absolutely killer for want I want right now, this will be my only bike for at least a year and it's perfect.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Anybody still like their 26" Hardtail?

Just checked again...yup, still like it.
    Last edited by CGrr; 08-04-2014 at 08:01 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    back on my '97 Stumpie since my fs bike is busted.

Yes it's still a very nice bike.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    My 29er is in the LBS, so have put in a few rides on my old 26 with totally seized fork ... and was surprised at how much fun it Was (till my tyre burst).

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I feel compelled to share my story.

I bought a 26" wheeled bikelast year and this past winter I was planning on selling it when the weather started improving. It was a great deal (new and on closeout) with a great build. Full XT, dropper post, Kashima fork, it would have made a great expert level bicycle to anyone looking for a 26" wheeled bike. However, the front rim on my 29er cracked and I was slacking off on replacing the wheel and I ended up taking the 26" out one weekend.

So glad I didn't sell it. I actually turned around and sold the 29er as it sat. Bought a cross bike to take up the road and commuting duties and used the cash from selling the 29er to put towards improving the the 26. Now that I have the bike set up how I like it, 1x10 Shimano with XTR and a narrow-wide chainring, wider bar with a higher rise and shorter stem, I never want to sell this bike.

Benefits (for me):
    1. I can run 160mm rotors and have gobs of stopping power; I attribute this to both wheel size and the incredible XT brakes
    2. The smaller diameter wheels are lighter and feel like they spin up quicker and change direction easily
    3. Very nimble

I don't think I can attribute it specifically to this model of bike or the brand. I think 26" wheels are just the right size wheels for me.

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    Just went from a Niner RDO seatpost to a Specialized Blacklite dropper on my Stumpy.

Added about 15kg, but more user friendly.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    After many years on FS bicycles I have decided to build a steel HT (NS Surge Evo) by using mainly spare parts. Honestly I had zero expectations from it so when I first rode it in my favorite trails I was really surprised about how much capable and fun it was.

Of course it is not as good as my Reign SX but I have to say that I really love my new HT.

Anybody still like their 26" Hardtail?-img_20140804_124017.jpg

Anybody still like their 26" Hardtail?-img_20140804_022242.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Def. keeping My 2013 26 Reign xo

I love Pisgah
    Still have 2 of them.

Pic from yesterday. The old now-retired race dedicated 04 XTC hybrid(carbon stays). Still ride it a fair amt. At one time, it was mid 18lb range with disc brakes. As shown with some trail duty wheels(1500gms), 2.4 tires, 160/140mm Hope floating rotors, FRM all alum ISIS spindle and crankarm bolts, Syntace F9 stem, Flite TransAM saddle, Extralite UL The Post, Hope Mini's, XT drivetrain sans the old school std bolt pattern (46-34-24) Turbines..its 22.2lbs. With a quick wheel swap, 4ti Eggs, and saddle, it'd be around 20lbs. Great riding, still fast, do-all hardtail.

Don't see many of those around. Extralite UL post. 178gms. Titanium oem bolts. It'd be on my carbon 29r right now if it was 400mm long instead of 350mm. Dammit.

Old 1980 US made Scwhinn Moab. Was my first "real" mtb. Still going strong.

Still like my carbon 29r HT a lot better tho haha

Unrelated since is a FS, but I'm currently building back up this looooooong since retired 26" 02 NRS frame. Raced this bike for yrs. Had it down to 20.2lbs at one time. As shown(old pic) its around 26lbs tho.
    "I've breathed the mtn air, man" Johnny Cash

It's a long way to the top
    . . . if you wanna rock and roll (ac/dc)

mtbr member
    I love my 26" Dragon Pro. I got a killer deal on it, and I'll never sell it. Simple and nimble----perfect!
    "Geologic time includes now."

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    My 26". Cotic Soul.

Cliquez ici pour voir mon image

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Duckman View Post
    Still have 2 of them.

Pic from yesterday. The old now-retired race dedicated 04 XTC hybrid(carbon stays). Still ride it a fair amt. At one time, it was mid 18lb range with disc brakes. As shown with some trail duty wheels(1500gms), 2.4 tires, 160/140mm Hope floating rotors, FRM all alum ISIS spindle and crankarm bolts, Syntace F9 stem, Flite TransAM saddle, Extralite UL The Post, Hope Mini's, XT drivetrain sans the old school std bolt pattern (46-34-24) Turbines..its 22.2lbs. With a quick wheel swap, 4ti Eggs, and saddle, it'd be around 20lbs. Great riding, still fast, do-all hardtail.
    I have that exact saddle sitting in my garage. It must be a 2002 or so vintage? I think it was the most expensive, and most painful saddle I ever owned. My son hated it as well. It just goes to prove what they say about saddles and personal preference.

I love Pisgah
    Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve View Post
    I have that exact saddle sitting in my garage. It must be a 2002 or so vintage? I think it was the most expensive, and most painful saddle I ever owned. My son hated it as well. It just goes to prove what they say about saddles and personal preference.
    Actually had 2 of them. 1 from 02(good guess) and the other a yr later. A friend now has the 2nd on his old 02 Fuel.

And your right, I actually like that saddle. I've also got 2 Flite TTs(165gm)carbon with a leather cover. Not the most comfy. This one..

Raced this one for a few yrs. ..until it broke off the rails(very sharp) at the start during clip-in..and had to race for 2 hours standing the entire time. That was hard. All carbon only. About 140gms I think. 1mm thick, so it flexed somewhat. Actually was more comfy then the leather/padding covered 165gm Flite TT. This is when this blue NRS was 20lbs.

Old Flite gel on the 29er right now. I guess I like the old Flites.. haha

Std Flite on my Titus Motolite currently. This one(230gms) that was on the HT at the time. Note taper square carbon/alum Next LP cranks. Has an Action Tec titanium spindle. great BB since you can swap bearings. Still have the cranks/BB setup in the Titus now.

Ti spindle, ti bolts, etc.
    "I've breathed the mtn air, man" Johnny Cash

It's a long way to the top
    . . . if you wanna rock and roll (ac/dc)

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I have never had anything but a 26er.....I love the rockhopper, nice light , nimble bike..... my beater bike is a 26 as well, but its a dept store special that I got free,built it with parts from other free bikes.....painted urban camo, step through frame, rack, streetable tires etc etc
    97 specialized rockhopper.....$5 garage sale find....rebuild and low buck single speed conversion

Page 39 of 40 FirstFirst ... 29 35 36 37 38 39 40 LastLast