Page 26 of 37 FirstFirst ... 16 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 36 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Yup.

My Rusty Knee
    why wouldn't I?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anybody still like their 26" Hardtail?-dsc04164fbsmall.jpg  

What exactly is a rigid hard tail?

mtbr member
    I rode my 1997 Blizzard today for 2 hours. 8 speed, v-brakes, bar ends, tubes in tires, rigid steel fork.... awesome. Love it.

toscano
    Quote Originally Posted by limba View Post
    I rode my 1997 Blizzard today for 2 hours. 8 speed, v-brakes, bar ends, tubes in tires, rigid steel fork.... awesome. Love it.
    Lucky guy!!!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    i really like my old 26er hardtail and both my fs bikes. i'm not into the other wheel sizes, nothing personal just not for me. i think that down the road i will get a chromag kamui or sakura. oh and by the way i quite enjoy my road bikes too..

mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Sorry, had to upload a new pic.

Hardtails just look so rad.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anybody still like their 26" Hardtail?-227725_10152433304965593_24473686_n.jpeg  

Anybody still like their 26" Hardtail?-537363_10152433304485593_1208704789_n.jpeg  

Anybody still like their 26" Hardtail?-542004_10152433304780593_350216094_n.jpeg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by wathmas View Post
    i really like my old 26er hardtail and both my fs bikes. i'm not into the other wheel sizes, nothing personal just not for me. i think that down the road i will get a chromag kamui or sakura. oh and by the way i quite enjoy my road bikes too..
    I'd love a Chromag, or a Titanium long travel frame. Those kinda frames last forever.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jcitizen1 View Post
    Hardtails just look so rad.
    that's a sharp looking bike,don't see many on one bikes around here..

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I'd love a Chromag, or a Titanium long travel frame. Those kinda frames last forever.
    the chromag stuff looks bombproof and their components are as good as anything out there.
    i know a guy who dumped is 6inch fs bike for a samurai ,just an awesome bike..

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by wathmas View Post
    that's a sharp looking bike,don't see many on one bikes around here..
    Rides fun too, and didn't cost too much much. Frame finish is impressive, but there are so many good reviews on the 456 (old & new) I'm sure it'll hold up to whatever I throw at it. I build it more as a test run to see if I really wanted to drop serious coin on a hardtail. Can't really afford multiple bikes so want one decent do it all.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Rides fun too, and didn't cost too much much. Frame finish is impressive, but there are so many good reviews on the 456 (old & new) I'm sure it'll hold up to whatever I throw at it. I build it more as a test run to see if I really wanted to drop serious coin on a hardtail. Can't really afford multiple bikes so want one decent do it all.
    Let me correct my typo. The frame finish ISN'T impressive. Needed lots of prep to get stuff installed, plus the dropouts were kinda bent during shipping, which cost like 40 bucks. They gave me a credit, but would rather have just not needed the work done.

mtbr member
    [snip] The frame finish ISN'T impressive. Needed lots of prep to get stuff installed... [/snip]
    Such as? Facing and chasing? How were the bb threads?

I ask because I'm think of ordering an inbred...

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by tiffany's pigeons View Post
    Such as? Facing and chasing? How were the bb threads?

I ask because I'm think of ordering an inbred...
    Yeah, lots of facing etc. The chainguide tabs were crooked too, and the dropouts on the drive side bent. The frame seems kinda slapped together, but once you're riding it it feels good. My friend has the carbon 456 and it has been problem free. This is what you get for a frame that retails for like 350. Anything comparable is like 700 plus, so I'm alright with what I have. It's fun to ride, and decends with a lot of confidence. Would love to have a bike with the same geo but made of better steel or Ti. On-One do a ti version, but I would only buy ti from a more reputable source, just cause it's so pricey.

mtbr member
    Yeah, lots of facing etc. The chainguide tabs were crooked too, and the dropouts on the drive side bent. The frame seems kinda slapped together, but once you're riding it it feels good. My friend has the carbon 456 and it has been problem free. This is what you get for a frame that retails for like 350. Anything comparable is like 700 plus, so I'm alright with what I have. It's fun to ride, and decends with a lot of confidence. Would love to have a bike with the same geo but made of better steel or Ti. On-One do a ti version, but I would only buy ti from a more reputable source, just cause it's so pricey.

Cool. Facing I don't mind since I have the tools. I don't however have the taps to chase bb threads. My main reason for thinking of ordering one was to have a place to hang all my spares on. I figure the frames are cheap enough and it's better than having another box of junk laying around lol.

If you're looking for a similar frame but with better quality, I'll be posting up the bike I just built up. Just waiting on the UPS dude to show up with the last bits...

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I miss having a 26" hardtail, and it will be my next addition to the quiver. It's the one bike that just doesn't age. You can forever chase the latest suspension design that does everything your current bike does and more, but a 26" hardtail will always be relevant. At least, I think it will.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/lostboyscout | www.beerscout.ca
    Knolly Chilcotin | Surly Long Haul Trucker

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I ride a 26" hardtail with V-brakes... I am quite happy with it. I can race it, commute on it, trail ride it and run it up and down nasty tech stuff. It is my "All Mountain" bike and takes me any where I want to ride.
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

Merendon Junkie
    I do!

I headed to Antigua Guatemala this past weekend for a wedding of friend from college. It was a 3 day trip so I loaded my ol' 26 rockhopper to the back of my truck just in case.

I was glad I took it with me. I met a gringo expat on saturday morning who hooked me up for a ride with his tour company. I enjoyed some awesome vistas, nice climbs and some good, fun, flowy singletrack through the mountain slopes. I had tons of fun riding my 26er even though Im pretty sure my el mariachi 29 would have felt smoother on the cobble stone streets of Antigua.

I will always keep enjoying my 26ers
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anybody still like their 26" Hardtail?-img_0326.jpg  

Anybody still like their 26" Hardtail?-img_0302m.jpg  

Anybody still like their 26" Hardtail?-img_0294m.jpg  

Anybody still like their 26" Hardtail?-img_0298m.jpg  

Anybody still like their 26" Hardtail?-img_0300m.jpg  

Anybody still like their 26" Hardtail?-img_0299mod.jpg  

Anybody still like their 26" Hardtail?-img_0303m.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    this is my first post on here, sittin up late at night. (Is there a place on here to post an introduction?)

Thumbing through this thread. Nice to see there are people that still love the 26" wheel on a hardtail. I just finished my 2nd 26 inch hardtail build and Im in love. Trying to post pics but I dont have enough posts, but Ill keep working at that.

mtbr member
    Still love all 3 of mine...the 4th is a 29er
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anybody still like their 26" Hardtail?-40-schwinn-dx-021-copy-sml.jpg  

Anybody still like their 26" Hardtail?-skyline-park-napa-007-sml.jpg  

Anybody still like their 26" Hardtail?-klunk-love-003-copy-sml.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I do! My old specialized has never failed me shes one i can always count on to get me home.

mtbr member
    IMHO...

The bike industry as a whole is a finicky thing - always looking for the next latest and greatest. Not a bad a thing mind you, how else would we have had the opportunity to fall in love in with things like carbon fiber and suspension technology. That said, I don't think that the 26" hardtail will ever go away. There will always be riders like me who appreciate the artistry is takes to build a great frame, and the technique and skill it takes to ride one past your buddies uphill AND downhill on their full suspension bikes.

Though I own and ride multiple styles of bikes, the ones that continually challenge me and consistently bring a smile to my face are the tried and true hardtail with 26" wheels. In fact, I love'em so much that I just built up the new one pictured below, and I have another in the works. The next one though will be fully rigid so stay tuned

Kinesis Virsa Decade... The build quality on the frame is pretty decent, though not as nice as my Indy Fab. For me, the main the attraction to the frame are the dropouts. You can change them out to a slotted version for single speeding. I also love the fact the frame's built with Tange Prestige. I haven't had a Prestige frame since my old and dead Ibis Mojo and I'm looking forward to a back to back comparison with the 853 of the Indy. The 44mm headtube is also a nice touch. Anyways...

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    the "loaded" stuff looks sick on there!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    That Kinesis is a beautiful bike.

mtbr member
    Can anyone recommend me an aggressive DH/FR hardtail? I ride a DH bike so something with that same feel/geometry would be nice. I will be buying used. I don't care about weight or brands but all I ask is that is is capable of uphills and abuse. I'm looking to spend around $500 u.s. dollars. Looking for a size XL or L bike. Thanks!
    Last edited by slimphatty; 01-15-2013 at 09:40 PM.

mtbr member
    All I've ever ridden.

roog

Page 26 of 37 FirstFirst ... 16 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 36 ... LastLast