Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    I'm still on a 26" HT, actually going to be almost entirely upgrading the drivetrain not too far from now. Is a 1x9, soon to be a 2x9; going to an XT medium cage rear, SLX double front, SLX shifters coming from a short cage X9 rear. I dont have the legs for 1x9 just yet :P
    "So do me a favor. Find your bike, whatever kind of bike it is. And RIDE it." -Gary Fisher

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I love mine!
    But to be fair I havent ridden anything but 26er hardtails...

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I've had my 26" hardtail for ages now, it is an old Azonic DS2 frame and has been an all rigid trials bike, a singlespeed jump bike, and is now a geared do-it-all bike. Though it's a tiny tiny frame (14"!) I use it for light cross country work, (smallish) jumps, and trials if needs be.

Are 29ers becoming that dominant?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    hammer fest day = Giant XTC AO 26er light & fast.

training ride = Giant Trance X2

InsaneObiker...dasss mee!
    never had a 29er....dont want one either.... seems kinda assanine to me..... I just dont need the extra 3 inches of wheel and tire....cource I wont own one of theses poorly made new bikes either....mines a complete custom 2000 GT Timberline frame built from the ground up to take a pounding ..rides Alot nicer than anything made today...... and I know I been building custom bikes for nearly 27 years now I gotta wonder why people want these 29ers????... to me just seems silly..... like a tap dancing werewolf in drag!!...... bet that one made ya scratch yer head huh! NARF

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Of course....Lots of people still love their hardtails.What full-suspension world is yours ?
    Here's mine : GT Outpost, rebuilted with almost completely new parts and rides smoothly and sweet !

thecentralscrutinizer
    Stll my favorite.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anybody still like their 26" Hardtail?-gman.jpg  

2015 Kona JTS
    2014 Scott Scale 710
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5

banned
    Love my 2003 Kona Kula Deluxe; in fact, I love it so much, I have two more NOS backup frames in case some dildo steals it or I wreck it.

mtbr member

26ers are here to stay

Out of three bikes, my 1996 trek 7000 hardtail (converted to a singlespeed) still puts the biggest grin on my face when I take it for a spin! I think it has to do with the geometry that manufacturers used back then... longer top tubes/shorter seat stays and wheelbase. It seems as though newer bikes have been "dumbed down" to a point.

Trek 7000
    Giant Trance X2
    Specialized EVO HT 29er

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

of course I do, they're better than 29ers...

I have a GF superfly frame in my basement. built it up, it sat around, tore it back down.
    IMO any one of my current 26er HT's is more fun than all of the 29ers I've tried so far.
    horses for courses (or rather- horses for riders!)

so, is what I ride a problem for you?
    cause I couldn't care less what you ride...
    If steel is real then aluminium is supercallafragiliniun!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Still have 3! Full rigid 2x8, 100mm 1x8 21 pounder (both aluminum) and the trusty 853 2x9/100mm.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mechBgon View Post
    Yeah, when it's all been said and done, my 26" hardtail is still the bike that puts the silly grin on my face.

whats that setup you have going for that contour? does it come out shaky? why not mount on helmet?

I still ride mine. I love the hardtail. I want it to be rigid again though. Unfortunately I don't have any pictures of the sexy beast of a bike. So instead I will bore you with the spec list!

Kona Explosif frame( 09)
    Chris King headset
    Fox Vanilla RLC fork
    Chris King hubs laced to Mavic UST rims and Continental Trail King tubeless tires
    Avid Juicy Seven brakes
    Easton Monkeylite XC carbon bars
    Moots ti seatpost
    XTR cranks

Can't recall the stem. I'm a dummy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    Id scrap the passion forum all together, its a breeding ground for unicorn milkers, rainbow chasers and candy cotton farters.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by nick6sic6 View Post
    Of course....Lots of people still love their hardtails.What full-suspension world is yours ?
    Here's mine : GT Outpost, rebuilted with almost completely new parts and rides smoothly and sweet !

Those red spoke nipples are awesome. I want...

mtbr member
    The pictures will be outdated in a few days but heres mine as of last afternoon. Soon to go on will be an XT rear and SLX front deraileurs, SLX shifters, new wheels (Mavic 717's laced to XT hubs) and rotors (avid cleansweeps).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anybody still like their 26" Hardtail?-206.jpg  

Anybody still like their 26" Hardtail?-214.jpg  

Anybody still like their 26" Hardtail?-224.jpg  

Anybody still like their 26" Hardtail?-220.jpg  

Anybody still like their 26" Hardtail?-217.jpg  

"So do me a favor. Find your bike, whatever kind of bike it is. And RIDE it." -Gary Fisher

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    What if I still like my 26/24 HT? Do I qualify for this thread?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    i used to go off huge jumps on a Schwinn with a banana seat. Hardtails 4ever!

mtbr member
    Still riding my 95 Cannondale F700- Love it !!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Can a 26er be made to corner as good as a 29er? I took mine out for a ride last night and loved the nimbleness of the bike. The only thing I wish I could do on it is rails the corners as fast and I would have my favorite bike! Bigger tires? What do you all think?

mtbr member

What's wrong with HT bikes? FS are the only thing worth riding or what?
    Squaring the circles.

mtbr member
    double post please delete sorry mods
    Squaring the circles.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I love how one of the first comments said "I don't remember the last time I saw a high end 26" hardtail in a shop. 3 or 4 years ago maybe." well it would seem he is wrong since almost everyone else that commented loves there 26" hardtail and posted pictures of some very nice high quality bikes.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by thumbprinter View Post
    um, i hate to be the one to break this to you but 700c = 29". hows that kool aid tasting?

having said that, i also rock a hardtail 26er, POS fuji that i got on the cheap. its light and fast and fun.....
    Really......try again; oh, and put down the bong first.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex774r View Post
    I love how one of the first comments said "I don't remember the last time I saw a high end 26" hardtail in a shop. 3 or 4 years ago maybe." well it would seem he is wrong since almost everyone else that commented loves there 26" hardtail and posted pictures of some very nice high quality bikes.
    That poster is obviously unaware of the numerous custom frame shops who's business is primarily hardtails in all kinds of exotic metallurgy. Good chance he never heard of repack as well.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Its all I have ever known

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Steeljaws View Post
    Really......try again; oh, and put down the bong first.

errrrr.... they are the same thing dude. a 29er is a fat 700.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FroggyBiker View Post
    never had a 29er....dont want one either.... seems kinda assanine to me..... I just dont need the extra 3 inches of wheel and tire....cource I wont own one of theses poorly made new bikes either....mines a complete custom 2000 GT Timberline frame built from the ground up to take a pounding ..rides Alot nicer than anything made today...... and I know I been building custom bikes for nearly 27 years now I gotta wonder why people want these 29ers????... to me just seems silly..... like a tap dancing werewolf in drag!!...... bet that one made ya scratch yer head huh! NARF
    29ers are a lot of fun. They really rip over terrain real well. And the complaints about their handling are a lot more due to the rider than the bike. I've found my 29er HT to be nearly as maneuverable in the dense woods up here as my HT ss 26er. It is a diffrent ride though and you carry a lot more speed so you have to keep that in mind. I find my 26er is more fun on the really technical trails with jumps and the like, and the 29 is my choice for trail riding and long hauls and racing.

I don't regret my derision to buy one, its a lot of fun, but I would have regretted getting rid of my 26in HT because they still have their uses.
    -Eric
    Keeping the hardtail dream alive, one ride at a time.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Is this high end enough?

[ATTACH]a[/ATTACH]My Ibis Tranny at my shop.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anybody still like their 26" Hardtail?-tranny.jpg  

wannabee
    newish but fun
    Last edited by giantbikeboy; 01-10-2012 at 07:59 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Still love my Yeti ARC. Light and rides oh'so right!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anybody still like their 26" Hardtail?-yeti.jpg  

mtbr member
    Still love my Homegrown. And the new bike I still lust for is a Yeti Arc. I suppose if I lived in Colorado I might want an FS for the downhills, but I don't see the point in spending the money here.

As for a 29er, I don't have a lot of seat time so I can't really say. I tried one once (a FS Specialized) and have to say it was heavy and unresponsive compared to my Homegrown.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I love mine but maybe that's cuz I don't do too much technical single track. bike feels solid and responds well
    of course I've yet to climb on a 29er

mtbr member
    Can someone school me why hardtails dont rank good in the MTB world anymore?
    Squaring the circles.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TMLGN View Post
    Can someone school me why hardtails dont rank good in the MTB world anymore?
    I think its because people equate suspension with being better. More flashy technology = better. But sometimes simple is really best. And honestly, if you're like me and pretty much only ride hard tails, then go to FS, you're actually a hell of a lot more capable rider. Sure the ride on an HT isn't the easiest on your back or your body, but it does reward you with a sense of achievement and awesome every time you ride one. To me, it takes a good bit of talent to get an HT down a technical decent. Sure I do it slower than my friends on 6in travel FS bikes, but I can do it and not be hardly able to ride it or do it so slowly that the FR guys are waiting for 10 min. at the bottom of a run. I just feel more accomplished riding down a tough decent on an HT.
    -Eric
    Keeping the hardtail dream alive, one ride at a time.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Yes. Every time I ride the thing I remember why I don't sell it.

I find the religious fervour of the 29er kool aid comments very amusing. We are talking about bicycles, ride the one you want, if it makes you smile, it's all good, right?

mtbr member
    Won't give mine up, future upgrades will stay rigid too...hope that the first trail dip never stops making me grin. Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1311685650.782173.jpg
Views: 2075
Size:  42.3 KB

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazydad View Post
    Still love my Homegrown. And the new bike I still lust for is a Yeti Arc. I suppose if I lived in Colorado I might want an FS for the downhills, but I don't see the point in spending the money here.

As for a 29er, I don't have a lot of seat time so I can't really say. I tried one once (a FS Specialized) and have to say it was heavy and unresponsive compared to my Homegrown.

Yep 29er = heavy and unresponsive.

REALLY?
    Quote Originally Posted by FroggyBiker View Post
    I have a 09 G.T. Peace 9R multi, its awsome. But, the bike below is my baby, I love it, like you said, rides better than anything out there...and I have been building customs 36 years.1992 G.T. Richter 8.0 (18")
    DJ, "Because I'm sure the world need's more dudes stalking the woods stoned out of their mind carrying a deadly weapon."

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I tried out my buddies 29er and it felt sloppy and heavy. I think I'll stick with my nimble 26er

Bro
    Content from my avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by theZapper View Post
    I tried out my buddies 29er and it felt sloppy and heavy. I think I'll stick with my nimble 26er
    Tha's not a hardtail.
    Sometimes, I question the value of my content.

mtbr member
    Some pics of mine with the latest updates (dont mind the pedal covers, its for test rides). All thats left of the stock bike are the deraileurs, shifters, and frame...

...but i think i need to reduce the travel back to 100-110mm.

TC
    mtbr member

10 chameleon

my all arounder

Mile, Montara Mnt-Pacifica, Ca
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    if the thunder don't get you, then the lightning will

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Prefer the 26'ers as well. Just don't see the reason to switch.

banned
    Mar 2011
    I'm not interested in 29er's.

The acceleration thing make me hesitant, because of the taller wheels.

Although I have ridden my Mongoose 29er a plenty in the woods. My little Diamong back 26 will cream the Mongoose though....I'm much more agile on the DB.

FS bikes don't turn me on at all... First I don't like how they look and I really ..I don't need one unless I do lots of major drops and downhill fast.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I love my 26 inch hard tail. But are we dinosaurs? I don't think the major bike companies even make high end hard tail 26s.

Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Ailuropoda View Post
    I love my 26 inch hard tail. But are we dinosaurs? I don't think the major bike companies even make high end hard tail 26s.
    Spec, Orbea, Trek, Merida, Scott, ibis, etc. all make high end 26.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    still have 26 HT- good old banshee scirocco

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Ive got a fully rigid 26 thats a great bike - like many others have said, take it out on a rather blah trail and it becomes fun gain. Nothing builds skill better than riding rigid ! Someone also said hat they haven't seen one in their shop for 3 to 4 years - well, nothing ever breaks or goes out of whack on my rigid - ever ! I'm always replacing busted crap on my FS bike. All that being said, I rarely take out my old rigid anymore, but when I do, it's a blast. Nothing feels better than blasting down a rock garden on a rigid (when you do it right), the body is still, and the bike is just floating and flowing underneath you......
    "If it ain't broke, don't fix it - it'll be broke soon enough !" - ILOJ

mtbr member
    I've ridden a few 29ers, and they just feel sluggish to me. If I want to ride big wheels on a trail, I'll grab my CX bike.

I love my 26" Stumpy FS, but my "go to" always seems my 26" Quiring 1X10 scandium hardtail.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    How does scandium ride?

mtbr member
    Not here. Every time I ride a 26" hardtail, I feel like someone just beat me up compared to riding my 29er. I can't tell much difference in "snappy handling" or acceleration, but I can tell a difference when I roll over a bunch of roots. The 26er hardtails feel like I am hitting the brakes. Could just be my lack of skills though.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by erik1245 View Post
    Tha's not a hardtail.
    SHHHH

Somebody flipped his lockout, and he doesn't know.
    "What kind of bike? I don't know, I'm not a bike scientist."

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I absolutely loved my 2005 Trek 6500 (like the OP). It was my first real mountain bike that didn't come from walmart. Stood up to five years of abuse. I've tried friends' fs bikes and just didn't like the feel - I grew up on bmx, and hardtail mountain bikes are all I've liked since. A few months ago I finally broke the frame on the 6500, and I'm definitely replacing it with another hardtail!

SNMBA
    Mar 2010
    I'm poor so I only have the 1 bike, but I ride EVERYTHING on it. Including downhill trails. I've ridden the fancy FS 29er's but rolling over everything isn't as fun as the challenge of picking just the right line. Must be the Auto-X/Road Racer in me that just won't die.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anybody still like their 26" Hardtail?-highres_20109281.jpg  

mtbr member

Some beautiful bikes here.

I have three, here is a pick of mine that has the most miles. Although, right now I typically ride a 120mm fs since I live next to some pretty rocky and steep trails. I spent three months in Mississippi and Tennessee last summer and put in some good miles on my HT. All three of mine are aluminum, Homegrown, Zaskar, and Attitude. I would like to ride a carbon HT and see how that rides.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anybody still like their 26" Hardtail?-gt-full.jpg  

Live fast, Die young, Leave a good looking corpse!

SpecRH
    May 2009
    still a huge fan of my 26" 1x9.

i ride some choppy little tight trails, and i like to feel the ground beneath me and bang out roots and rocks instead of plushly soaking them up with an FS.

Plan to ride HT FOOORREEEEEVVVVVEEEERRRRR ( sandlot voice)
    MTB : 2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er
    MTB SS : 2010 Specialized RH
    ROAD: 2011 Specialized Tarmac Comp
    TOY: Trek 1000

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I love my 26" Gary Fisher Tass. I've ridden 29er FS but not as fun

Ow!
    There are places and times for riding my FSs, but the most fun is on my hardtail. Smooth or rocky, it is the bike that puts a stupid grin (not silly grin--stupid grin!) on my face. Yes, I usually limit those rides to 2 hours or less on my rocky trails, and there is a higher chance of a sore back, and sore everything. But it is the most fun.

I had started to launch off stuff on my hardtail in the last year. I did not want to break my expensive, custom, steel xc hardtail, so I bought an On-One 456 for when I feel like hitting it hard. That puts a stupid grin on my face too.

Rented a 29er hardtail a few years ago to see what that was about. It rode fine, but not that different from my 26er. No need to invest in a different wheel size.

mtbr member
    I still love my 26 HT too, here's an inspirational video, watch Ninos magic starting around 1:30, but watch the whole thing.....

http://freecaster.tv/mountainbike/10...nt-sainte-anne

bringer of doom
    Just look at this thing and tell me it doesn't put the spring in your pants: http://yetifan.com/mikewultimate111.jpg

Last edited by p.doering; 08-01-2011 at 09:14 PM.
    Ride on, Anthony.

mtbr member
    That course looks crazy. Great looking yet.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Yeah, I ride a whole bunch of 29rs..... Just not as good as my two 26ers though.
    I also have a 700c, or I mean 29r....or wait...no, it's a 700c. Whatever the hell you're supposed to call em'. I think 29rs are pathetically overrated, but the 700c?....now there's a real man's wheel!
    PoisonDogFart

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scrublover View Post
    Yes.
    Though I will admit to having lustful thoughts over something like a Banshee Paradox with large fork. Something like that will probably eventually replace my 26er hardtail, but I'm not exactly in a hurry.

Since, you know, you couldn't possibly ride a kiddie wheel hardtail on anything but smooth and mellow trails.
    I have a Santa Cruz Chameleon and just bought a Fisher X-Caliber. The X-Cal showed me that I could like the big wheels, I'd even go as far as to say I like them better*, but it's not nearly as fun as my Chameleon when the trail gets interesting.

If the paradox is half as good as I think it will be, it'll replace both my X-Cal and Chameleon. I've got some deciding to do over the winter. I'm either going to add a GF Rumblefish or replace the X-cal with a paradox, or do both if finances allow. I don't think the Chameleon will be replaced until I try a paradox though.

* I thought about qualifying liking the big wheels better to say I like them better on the buff to semi-buff trail I ride in Wisconsin, but then I thought about it. I took the X-Cal back to PA this summer and beat the piss out of it and was totally surprised with how well it handles the rough stuff. It was the XC geometry and short fork that held me back, not the big wheels. If anything the big wheels helped on the root invested trails I ride when I go visit my parents. Put those big wheels on something with a longer fork and a little more playful geometry and I think it would totally eliminate my love for my chameleon. I just wonder if the Paradox would be as fun as the Chameleon at a place like Ray's MTB Parks.

mtbr member
    I tore down my TREK 8500 and moved most of the parts to my new Air 9… Been thinking about building up the 8500 again, but doing it real nice. All I need is a drive train, breaks and a saddle!
    Work Hard 2 Play Hard!!!

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Fat Chance Yo Eddie. Steel is real.

mtbr member

In January I had a 26er, 29er and an FS bike.
    This arrived in early May.
    Now I have no 29er and no FS bike.
    If I ever catch someone trying to steal it, I'll drop them down a mine shaft.
    I really, really like this bike in all it's 1.5 and small wheeled madness.
    This bike can do anything, I've yet to ride a 29er I thought could do everything as well as this.

Also, on steeps I found the 29er (medium Inbred) would buzz my crotch, anyone else get that?

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Fix the Spade View Post

In January I had a 26er, 29er and an FS bike.
    This arrived in early May.
    Now I have no 29er and no FS bike.
    If I ever catch someone trying to steal it, I'll drop them down a mine shaft.
    I really, really like this bike in all it's 1.5 and small wheeled madness.
    This bike can do anything, I've yet to ride a 29er I thought could do everything as well as this.

Also, on steeps I found the 29er (medium Inbred) would buzz my crotch, anyone else get that?
    effin' sweet... what is it? post specs!

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I have a 1992 Kestrel that I still love. She and I have been through many miles and good times.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fix the Spade View Post
    No, but if mine did that, I would never sell it!

mikeb
    hey hero, that's a real nice shot of your c dale.

i still love my 26er HT. as a matter of fact, riding my fully rigid 29er HT makes me ride better on the 26er.

i rode one of the new salsa FS 29er's a week ago though and let me tell you, my next new bike will be a niner dualie when the prices get reasonable or i start making more money...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

skaterqwertyuiop

I ride my hardtail everywhere but lift accessed trails and one particular local DH trail.
    I'll upload a better pic from the trails soon.
    It's not about what bike you ride, but how hard you tear it up

mtbr member
    1992 Kestral???!!! Well you sir have clearly not been doing your part to support the bicycle industry.

mtbr member
    Only ride hardtails, for some reason. Have both 29 and 26, with the 26 single speed being ridden all the time at the moment. A lot of fun!

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I can't ever imagine being without a 26" hardtail mtn bike. Here are pics of my 1997 Specialized Stumpjumper M2 and 1998 Specialized Stumpjumper M2 Pro hardtails. Including these, I've owned 3 Stumpy M2's over the years.

I've also included a pic of my 1997 DBR V-Link Pro Carbon Fiber dualie, which I largely ride as a hardtail (with rear shock locked out most of the time). I'm looking to replace that bottom feeder Manitou on the DBR with a vintage Marzocchi Z2 or Z1 Bomber, similar to the one on my 1998 Stumpy.

I've become spoiled with the plushness of my FSR Stumpjumper Comp dualie, which I ride exclusively on longer rides because the hardtails beat me up too much on any ride longer than 10 miles.

I, too, owned a 29er, but it felt too sluggish to me - it weighed around 31 lbs. However, I'd bet I would like a lighter weight model because I did appreciate how a 29er seemed to iron out the trails like a 26er could never do.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anybody still like their 26" Hardtail?-1997-stumpjumper-m2.jpg  

Anybody still like their 26" Hardtail?-1998-specialized-stumpjumper-pro-m2.jpg  

Anybody still like their 26" Hardtail?-dbr-v-link-pro-carbon-fiber-2.jpg  

An original MTBR "old phart"

Dirt Huffer
    29er is too sluggish for me and not as easy to flick. So I'll stick with 26.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by AC/BC View Post
    29er is too sluggish for me and not as easy to flick. So I'll stick with 26.
    Ding! Same feeling here.

mtbr member
    tl;dr but... no

mtbr member

Smile

I have a trek 8500 and the thing is a blast! It's so responsive and you know exactly what the bike it doing. I recently bought a SantaCruz blur xc and I still need to get it set up right, but riding back to back, the Trek holds it's own.

I can't say on a 29er ......

This is what I always wanted but never found one >

and here is another I wish I had >

..and finally, this is what I have .... I think it's a year older than the above examples, like a Y2K model>

Last edited by Dr. Tweedbucket; 08-04-2011 at 04:38 AM.
    Mountain bike riding is the new dirt bike riding. It's cheaper and you don't get shot at as often.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I've only ridden 2 mtb hardtails. First was a Speesh P1.AM, now I ride an Evil Sovereign. I love my steel hardtail & with high volume tires, it's very comfortable going over roots n rocks. A FS bike would be fun but the trails I ride the most simply do not require it. Like some have said, the hardtail makes it more fun as I have smooth flowy trails with tech, rough sections.

mtbr member
    Still ride my "vintage" Stumpjumper once in a while!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FSR.Dude View Post
    Here are pics of my 1997 Specialized Stumpjumper M2 .
    Great bike! I have the same M2 in the stand right now being reborn as a 1x9 rigid with mustache bars.

I love my 26 hardtails and have yet to find a 29er that feels a nimble and responsive as they do. I've ridden everything from C-dale to Specialized GF and Trek but nothing I have found compares to the smile I get from my Klein or Stumpy 26er.

Ride,Smile, Pedal Damn it

26 or 29er??

I'm still loving my 26 SS. My Niner feels big and slow. I like the Niner, but I'm not sure if i miss the SS or the 26. Anybody else? Thanks

Big John
    Quote Originally Posted by centershot View Post
    Wondering if I'm the last one - I still very much enjoy riding my Trek 6500 hardtail. I find it fairly light and quick on the trails - easy to flick around and catch a little air from time to time. All I see are 29er F/S bikes - makes me wonder if I'm the last of a dieing breed.
    I have the very same bike, with many upgraded parts, mind you. And it's a few years old. And it still passes 29ers, 26ers, dual suspensions, rigids, etc. just fine. You are not the last one, by any means. I love my hardtail, especially when I'm booking it up climbs, then bombing down the other side (I love tubeless tires, too). I think if you're happy with whatever bike you own, a high level of zen will exist, and you will just kinda become one with the bike and flow on it. I'm not knocking any tire size or suspension preference, but I'm pretty happy with what I've got. I started out on a 26 HT, and will continue to dance with the one who brought me.
    Road, mountain, commute, CX... who cares? Shut up and ride!

Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by henrymiller1 View Post
    I'm still loving my 26 SS. My Niner feels big and slow. I like the Niner, but I'm not sure if i miss the SS or the 26. Anybody else? Thanks
    This is a question with no definite answer. Which is why I say get both.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    first mountain bike, started off as a 2003 avalanche small
    this

into this

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Yes, I still like my 26" hardtail. I've heard some folks declare that the 26er hardtail is obsolete and dead...my bike doesn't feel dead, it feels very much alive and well, thank you very much. Absolute statements like that are silly.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Tweedbucket View Post
    I have a trek 8500 and the thing is a blast! It's so responsive and you know exactly what the bike it doing. I recently bought a SantaCruz blur xc and I still need to get it set up right, but riding back to back, the Trek holds it's own.

I can't say on a 29er ......

This is what I always wanted but never found one >

and here is another I wish I had >

..and finally, this is what I have .... I think it's a year older than the above examples, like a Y2K model>

i'm about to sell my 2001 Trek 8500 (the red one you have posted at the very top).

it's got a criminally low number of miles on it, but the paint is pretty beat up thanks to some recent spills and my girlfriend attempting to mount our bikes without me (her pedals literally tore off a ton of paint, it's depressing). i'm thinking of parting it out, let me know if you're interested. it's a 17.5", everything works absolutely perfect. i just bought a Santa Cruz Chameleon that's more my size which is the only reason I'm selling. Unfortunately, I can't afford to keep both. I would love to keep my 8500 for future builds and stuff, it's incredibly light.

mtbr member
    Hi, my name is Chris. I am old and brittle, I have a long stem and bar ends, and I ride a hardtail. I have been riding a hardtail ever since I started riding over 35 years ago. I started on smaller hardtails, but then, they got bigger and more expensive. Now, when I am not riding a hardtail, I find myself thinking about riding a hardtail. I have even had dreams about it. I have even found myself waking up early, and yes, riding my hardtail. I often ride my hardtail alone, but sometimes with others. Last weekend, I rode my hardtail and then drove home, only to find myself riding my hardtail again.

http://forums.mtbr.com/attachment.ph...1&d=1312494147
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anybody still like their 26" Hardtail?-img_0403.jpg  

mtbr member
    He said hardtail 9 times in a single post.

He's clearly obsessed.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Tweedbucket View Post
    looks like you like trek lol there's a local guy selling a 06 8900 zr frame for $140, if your interested i can talk to him

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ricky916 View Post
    looks like you like trek lol there's a local guy selling a 06 8900 zr frame for $140, if your interested i can talk to him
    what size? that's a sweet frame.

Toro
    I made the mistake of choosing a 26er hardtail instead of a 29er when I bought my first mountain bike. I'm glad I did. The 29er rolls so easily over stuff. It keeps its momentum so much better. Why would I prefer it? I liked Ford power growing up. Sure, I could have gone Chevy or Chrysler big block but I enjoyed getting everything I could out of my 302/347 small block. I feel the same way about the 26er. I like that it's a bit more rough riding than the 29er. I just enjoy the challenge. Will I go to a 29er in the future? Highly likely. But there's no way anyone is ever taking my 26er HT away from me. Nope. Not happening.

Lets ride!
    Aug 2011
    I have a 26" hardtail and 29er f/s.
    I often find myself riding my hardtail more often. Hardtail will always be deep in my blood.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bridgestone14 View Post
    I have three, here is a pick of mine that has the most miles. Although, right now I typically ride a 120mm fs since I live next to some pretty rocky and steep trails. I spent three months in Mississippi and Tennessee last summer and put in some good miles on my HT. All three of mine are aluminum, Homegrown, Zaskar, and Attitude. I would like to ride a carbon HT and see how that rides.
    super jelly
    love that bike

Mountain Man Dan
    I loooooooooooooooooove mine.

mtbr member
    Just bought a brand new Stumpy FSR but am still in love with my rigid single speed

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by newnan3 View Post
    How does scandium ride?
    It's a Quiring, so it is light and stiff but not harsh

mtbr member
    Yep, I actually just gave my old Jamis HT to my nephew and went to a 29r. Miss the hell out of my old friend and I'm thinking about being an Indian Giver and asking for it back!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I haven't ridden my 29'er rigid in awhile. Having too much fun on these, which many think are "on their way out"

LOVE

LOVE

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I like mine enough to resist spending money on any thing nicer and newer. Ride the heck out of this 12 year old Trek ZX7000. Smiling the whole time!
    It's fairly light, tough, and climbs like crazy. Sometimes I get FS envy when following a FS rig down a rooty hill, but enjoy the challenge of picking my lines to avoid the big stuff.
    Here it is after a little muddier ride than we expected.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast