Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112
Results 1,101 to 1,147 of 1147
    Professional Nerd
    Quote Originally Posted by bachman1961 View Post
    Probably going to try steel this time...
    Nice Kona.

I went from a 26" to a 29" steel hardtail recently. It has been perfect for my riding style, and I've been having a lot of fun with it.

Dan

mtbr member
    not period correct, but who cares? White Industries ENO hub and cog in the back, and feels like a rocket:

Anybody still like their 26" Hardtail?-rocky.jpg

mtbr member
    also love my '88 Rockhopper comp, coasterbrake in the back

Anybody still like their 26" Hardtail?-rockhopperklunked.jpg

Co Springs
    Quote Originally Posted by Danimal View Post
    Nice Kona.

I went from a 26" to a 29" steel hardtail recently. It has been perfect for my riding style, and I've been having a lot of fun with it.

Dan
    Thanks. It has served me well and aside from knocking the paint off it, it is still amazingly stable. Orig wheels and maybe one or two shop tune-ups in 13 years. I learned a few basics to keep the wheels straight and minor tune / adj , brakes etc...
    I was so surprised how easy wheel tuning is but to be fair, I haven't hammered the bike for all it deserves asper capable so I think most other get a lot more experience in fix up's and wrenching.

I'm just now a 55 y/o so I'm taking it easier these days and never was a mad down hill flyer (except once) and a powerful shoulder versus terra.damn.firma.

Tell me if I'm nuts or falling for placebo or hype thinking my al frame K might feel a bit bitter or harsh on my old bones versus steel - What were your impressions of the feel of the ride and bike response if any... ?

I've been thinking of something pretty basic, simple , straightforward like Jamis Dragon Sport 27.5. It nets me steel, disc brakes and a chance to nail a prof fitment by a nice store to make sure I'm doing it right.
    In the Middle Ages, the biggest mistake was not putting on your armor because you were 'just going down to the corner.'

No known cure
    Yep. Ordered these with 26" wheels and rim brakes, LOL.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anybody still like their 26" Hardtail?-20160131_132141-2-.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

Professional Nerd
    Quote Originally Posted by bachman1961 View Post
    Thanks. It has served me well and aside from knocking the paint off it, it is still amazingly stable. Orig wheels and maybe one or two shop tune-ups in 13 years. I learned a few basics to keep the wheels straight and minor tune / adj , brakes etc...
    I was so surprised how easy wheel tuning is but to be fair, I haven't hammered the bike for all it deserves asper capable so I think most other get a lot more experience in fix up's and wrenching.

I'm just now a 55 y/o so I'm taking it easier these days and never was a mad down hill flyer (except once) and a powerful shoulder versus terra.damn.firma.

Tell me if I'm nuts or falling for placebo or hype thinking my al frame K might feel a bit bitter or harsh on my old bones versus steel - What were your impressions of the feel of the ride and bike response if any... ?

I've been thinking of something pretty basic, simple , straightforward like Jamis Dragon Sport 27.5. It nets me steel, disc brakes and a chance to nail a prof fitment by a nice store to make sure I'm doing it right.
    My move to a steel 29er came at the same time as my move to tubeless and thus lower tire pressures. Additionally, my 29er has a much nicer suspension fork than my 26er did. Therefore, it's really impossible for me to attribute any change in ride characteristics to frame material alone.

Dan

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    I'm about 6'1 and have a medium frame 26 that I rode for a year. Then last winter I bought a large frame 29 with hydraulic brakes, dropper post, ect. I am 100% faster on the appropriately sized 9er.

After realizing the 26 was sized wrong I just couldn't like it. The one nice thing about it is I can ride it in my basement because it's small, but other than that it couldn't do anything my 29 couldn't do better.

I ended up making the little old 26 a single speed and just ordered some new bars, bottom bracket, and new crankset. Pulled off the front brake and all the other crap that isn't absolutely necessary and now I like it again. It will be my new "fun" bike that is comparatively indestructible. It's something I can take to the skate park when my brother brings his BMX.

mtbr member
    I just got a 27.5+ tire bike to replace my Salsa Moto-Rapido, but I'm having a hard time letting go.. I'm going to miss the light weight, and how easy it is to change directions compared to a larger tire bike...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Rhubarb View Post
    not period correct, but who cares? White Industries ENO hub and cog in the back, and feels like a rocket:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rocky.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	195.9 KB 
ID:	1115861
    RMB+WI, muddy, SS. Check, check, and check! Fun was had!
    I don't know why,... it's just MUSS easier to pedal than the other ones.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    My "New Bike Fund" balance of $0 says I freaking love my 26er

Binned
    Nov 2008
    I may actually ride mine this weekend!

mtbr member
    I replaced my nearly 9 year old 26" hardtail with a 27.5+ DB Mason Comp hardtail last month. As luck would have it, this winter has been rainy and warm and terrible for riding, but I can't really think of much I preferred about my old bike, other than the set-up was pretty dialed. The geometry of my new bike is way more suited for how I like to ride. My old bike has been relegated to the trainer.

Co Springs
    Quote Originally Posted by Danimal View Post
    My move to a steel 29er came at the same time as my move to tubeless and thus lower tire pressures. Additionally, my 29er has a much nicer suspension fork than my 26er did. Therefore, it's really impossible for me to attribute any change in ride characteristics to frame material alone.

Dan
    Thanks Dan-

Yeah, that makes sense. Too many variables to account for. I've read other's who have posted their thoughts and was more an apples to apples bike like those that make the same bike and geo just offering variations in frame material.

I suppose at the end of the day (a day I'm riding a different bike) it's ideal to have that feeling the new bike does it all, does it better and meets or exceeds expectations. Crediting the frame material, disc brakes or a different component set up hardly matters to me since I'm not nit-picking parts to build the thing myself. It's the sum of it's parts as it comes out of the box... in my case anyways. :-)
    In the Middle Ages, the biggest mistake was not putting on your armor because you were 'just going down to the corner.'

Co Springs
    Quote Originally Posted by j_wynn View Post
    I'm about 6'1 and have a medium frame 26 that I rode for a year. Then last winter I bought a large frame 29 with hydraulic brakes, dropper post, ect. I am 100% faster on the appropriately sized 9er.

After realizing the 26 was sized wrong I just couldn't like it. The one nice thing about it is I can ride it in my basement because it's small, but other than that it couldn't do anything my 29 couldn't do better.
    How would you rate the comfort of the ride on the new one? (as per your better fit).

I'm wondering if I'm a bit cramped on my old 18" Kona and just never really got the best fit either. I added a longer stem a few years back bit I'm thinking the neck and shoulders area and good lung expansion and breathing has to be a few perks with a better fit if I should be stretched my out more.

The longer rides I've done didn't seem to be uncomfortable but those were 15 to 19 miles(long rides for me) and did one big ride of 54 miles on a birthday of the same.

MarkyMark
    I'm still liking my old 2001 Litespeed Pisgah 26" hardtail, especially when it gets wet and messy. I swapped the stem (70mm Chromag Ranger), seatpost (RF Next), and also put a bigger (180mm) rotor up front after nearly running out of braking power on a long, steep downhill.

Chromag Ranger stem and RF NextSL post by markmass, on Flickr

mtbr member
    Carbon rims too. That bike looks sweet, I hope it is a great ride!!
    Live fast, Die young, Leave a good looking corpse!

Sneaker man
    oohhh, very nice.
    All the gear and no idea.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I just picked up this on one 456 evo ii after having only ridden 29ers for the last year. Rides great, just different. Now I can burn through my stock of 26er rubber I have been staring atAnybody still like their 26" Hardtail?-img_8857.jpg

I'll be putting my Hadley / mavic wheelset on it once I get around to setting them up tubeless.

mtbr member
    I miss my Schwinn Factory Homegrown that I had to sell a few years back. I loved how quick the steering was and how it made me a better rider. That said, I absolutely love my SB5 and if I can only have 1 bike, it would be it. But I will be watching Craigslist and eBay in the near future to see if I can snag a good 26" HT again.
    James

"Never pass up an opportunity to ride." - Anthony Sloan

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    @crazydad, there's at least one on ebay right now. You know you want it.

mtbr member
    @peter Oh crap. There is a Yeti built Homegrown frame my size. Wife might get mad at me...
    James

"Never pass up an opportunity to ride." - Anthony Sloan

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by AMac4108 View Post
    My "New Bike Fund" balance of $0 says I freaking love my 26er
    This is so true for many. My old Marin got set up as a commuter out of 'necessity', ages ago.
    It fits MY frame so well I haven't been able to part with it. I gave it a restoration this winter. It's gonna remain my go to and most likely will stay my one and only. Perfect for what I do.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    I've got a HT 29er but also ride two 26er HT's. Both rigid. Love 'em and ride 'em often. Even though this thread is ancient, so are my bikes. I see no reason to abandon my 26er's. Steel is real and the bikes are so much fun.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anybody still like their 26" Hardtail?-marin-4.jpg  

Anybody still like their 26" Hardtail?-trek-ss.jpg  

mtbr member
    yes, I still love my Barracuda that I bought in 94

Anybody still like their 26" Hardtail?-dscf0290.jpg

mtbr member
    Anybody still like their 26" Hardtail?-img_4210.jpg

Nice. I turned my Barracuda A2E into a single speed as well, but only used the bits from the parts bin.

mtbr member
    Thanks, yours is nice too, I really regret not having the original paintjob anymore. Mine is an A2M

Gamers local 2112
    Jul 2009
    All I ride, one tube fits them all. It's not like a new wheel size in the market suddenly makes my round 26" wheels square..

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by rev106 View Post
    All I ride, one tube fits them all. It's not like a new wheel size in the market suddenly makes my round 26" wheels square..
    But, but, butt.......they ain't some new fangled better mousetrap.
    DAMN THE MUD, FULL SPEED AHEAD!!

mtbr member
    The 26er (2005) that replaced the Barracuda.

Anybody still like their 26" Hardtail?-img_1912.jpg

Sneaker man
    new wheels day last week

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Not purely relevant, but I am certainly keeping my Redline D660 29er hardtail along side my new EX8 27.5+.....Did a 31 mile rail-trail ride on it the other day. So efficient, so fast! Also, figure it will keep foo foo miles off the Trek, decreasing operating costs a bit.

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mik_git View Post
    new wheels day last week
    Same
    Laced up some Flow EX's on Novatec hubs.

mtbr member
    Anybody still like their 26" Hardtail?-rigid-hardtail.jpg

There, I said it.

Cycologist
    Quote Originally Posted by BumpityBump View Post

Name:	RIGID-HARDTAIL.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	18.3 KB 
ID:	1130687

There, I said it.
    However:

Full Rigid = Rigid

So no need for the "full". Unless you're trying to annoy *Onespeed*
    "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." -Douglas Adams.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chazpat View Post
    However:

Full Rigid = Rigid

Good point! I was trying to emphasize the "full" part, but obviously "rigid" implies "full". Doooh....

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    However:

Full Rigid = Rigid

How about a rigid with a ThudBuster?

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by BumpityBump View Post

Name:	RIGID-HARDTAIL.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	18.3 KB 
ID:	1130687

There, I said it.
    But...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
    But...
    Rigid is not a subclass of hardtail, IMO. Rigid is rigid, hardtail implies no rear suspension but does have front suspension, I think thudbuster would be it's own class, or maybe a subclass of rigid. I don't know HTF to draw that......

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Rigid = Full Rigid = OW! = Is the frame gonna break?

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

Cycologist
    And where do the softtails go on that diagram?

Also, you're implying that there are full suspension that aren't front suspension and hardtails that aren't front suspension nor rigid. I think you need a different type of diagram.
    "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." -Douglas Adams.

Sneaker man
    what about stuff like allsops and flex stems, old scott endorphin or slingshots and yeah soft tails. And then suspension seatposts
    TO me,
    full rigid means non suspension component at all
    rigid is a frame that deosn't incoporate your regular suspension fork or whatever, eg fexstem, allsop, slingshot so it deosn't have actual suspension that we would think of, but it is not FS or HT or ST

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    And where do the softtails go on that diagram?

Also, you're implying that there are full suspension that aren't front suspension and hardtails that aren't front suspension nor rigid. I think you need a different type of diagram.
    Decision tree might be better, I think. Here we have combinations we can't imagine how they look like :-P

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    But...
    Fail diagram, sorry but confusing (wonder if you had one too many beers )

Front suspension and hardtail are the exact same thing

That at the least should be 2 circles, one side full suspension, other side rigid and middle is hardtail.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk
    Life on a bike doesn't begin till the sun goes down.

US partner for ITUO and Ravemen:
    www.rakcindustries.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukon-RSX View Post
    Have a Rockhopper Pro and have had full suspension in the past, but my Pro isn't dead at all, far from it infact.
    I was unable to justify lugging around a FS when the trails I ride can be done easily on a hardtail, and I also like to feel what's going on under my rear wheel.
    Totes!

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by RAKC Ind View Post
    Fail diagram, sorry but confusing (wonder if you had one too many beers )

Front suspension and hardtail are the exact same thing

That at the least should be 2 circles, one side full suspension, other side rigid and middle is hardtail.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk
    It was perfect...

Stop making sense

Cycologist
    It was perfect...

Stop making sense
    Anybody still like their 26" Hardtail?-diagram2.jpg
    Last edited by chazpat; 04-11-2017 at 02:59 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Yes! Just as a dirt jump bike though.
    I would love to get something like a Chromag HT as a trail bike.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112