Page 11 of 40 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 21 ... LastLast
    clo
    mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I have 3 26in MTB's. a '93 Litespeed Obed, an '03 Turner burner FS, and a Jamis xlt 3.0 FS which I'll probably give to my son.

The Turner is bloody fast and I can't see getting rid of it. bought it off a friend of mine 2 years ago. love it so much I'm going to get it a new paint job.

The Litespeed is my gravel road bike. still working on cockpit set up and saddle. I've not found a combo that I really like yet.

rho
    Captain Pinchflat
    Ohh yeah. I've put many many miles on my '08 santa cruz chameleon. It is by far the most amusing bike I've ridden. Does great at techy climbs, fun to get downhill quickly. Does this whole cornering thing very very well.
    And it still pedals decently well on the road.

What's not to like?

Sent via carrier pigeon

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Just built up a Giant xtc with used parts last night. It was a super fun headlamp ride before work today.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011

Hello

I like it also.......
    Last edited by kylerojo; 09-08-2011 at 08:29 AM. Reason: to post

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    My Gary Fisher Hoo-Koo-E-Koo waits for me at the vacation home in BC.. I miss having it in the garage and having the opportunity to choose it over my FS for a ride. And I'm building up a snow bike in Calgary out of an Aluminum Devinci Cameleon frame... both hardtails. I didn't realize that 29ers were getting so popular, but if they bring more people to the sport than that's great.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Confession: I've never ridden a full-suspension bike or a 29er. My first bike was a rigid. My second bike was a hardtail. I don't anticipate getting another bike until I finish grad school.

Dinner for wolves
    Rediscovering the 26" goodness. The 29ers are a better choice on some trails, while the 26 HT is the go to bike for others. Quivers are for slaying all kinds of beasts.
    Responds to gravity

mtbr member
    I still like mine!

Sent from my Droid
    Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I just got rid of my SS rigid 29''r and am currently building up a 26'' HT. I would go rigid, but my wrists can't handle it. I'll probably end up going SS but for now i'm going to see how the 1x9 works.

I don't like the 29r at all. I prefer to lean hard into tight turns and I could never get comfy with the bigger wheel. The geo felt all wrong to me. I'm only 5'9'' so that may have something to do with it. I won't be on a 29r anytime soon.

Also, what are all the "pros" riding these days? 29 or 26?

Girl Power
    29' looks weird. Don't like it and love my 26'!

Jamin, Applesause, No?
    I have a 29er and a 26er. I ride my 26er for fun and racing and I use my 29er for rides with my 2 year old. The 29er does not handle nearly as well as my 26er. I found that the 29er took so much more work to have fun on. It does not jump nearly as well, it can not handle some of the switchbacks on my local trails. It is not nearly as flickable, and it slows down way to much at the begining of a hill. I know I could ride it more and get use to it, but I can not imagine that it woudl end up being as fun.

My good riding buddy has made big strides in his riding though when he switched from a 26er to a 29er but he is not as fun loving as I am and rides a lot safer.

FWIW - I ride single track tight and twisty, rocky and rooty trails. No fire roads for me.

local trails rider
    Quote Originally Posted by _oky_ View Post
    is it a 26r hardtrail bike with a ss 29r rigid fork???? IT looks very nice!
    Just noticed this question about my bike...

It is a Chromag Stylus 26er HT frame, built up singlespeed and with a 465 mm A to C Dirt Jumper fork from Identiti. The fork has less offset than 29er forks which should increase stability. Works for me

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

balance_fit
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak View Post
    Rediscovering the 26" goodness. The 29ers are a better choice on some trails, while the 26 HT is the go to bike for others. Quivers are for slaying all kinds of beasts.
    True indeed !! My wife slays me on her 26er hardtail 1 x 9...
    Simple, not easy.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Love my 6er hard tail

I have a 2000 (yes it is 11 - well the frame that is) Specialized Hard Rock Comp (before the HR turned into poo). All that is left of the original bike is the frame. EVERYTHING has been upgraded and replaced. I have managed to strip 5.5 - 6 pounds through the upgrades.
    There are 3 things that keep me loving the bike 1) it climbs like a mountain goat 2) tubeless tubeless tubeless 3) it is as light as some $4K bikes!

It is not the bike as so much as it is the rider!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Wink New wheels

Just bought some carbon havens. Viva la 26er hard tail!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Not a hardtail technically

I will be selling my 29er HT soon, because I had to choose between that and my 2009 Moots YBB 26er. I just didn't jive with the 29er and couldn't imagine not having my trusty 26er anymore. Now the YBBs going to be a 650ber in the front so I guess I will really be a misfit and wont fit in any of these forums. Oh yea, but I still have my 96' GT Outpost, Old Giant Iguana, and Specialized Stumpjumper HT's

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Do we need to start a 26er hard tail forum? I am wondering how many other riders will follow the same path?

JS8
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Love my first bike, a 2002 Trek 4500. Still ride it weekly.

Psalm 29:11
    Feb 2004
    My only bike is an '03 Jamis Dakota XC, 26" steel hardtail. I bought it new and have loved every minute on it. Upgraded to disc brakes and added a Chris King headset in '04, other than that it's all original and still rides great.

mtbr member
    I was cleaning up my shop space when I realized I had almost everything I needed to assemble another 26" hardtail.

A half hour later and a sixer of Highland Brewing Oatmeal Porter later, I ended up with this...

Steel is real I really like these Pauls Chain Keepers for my 1X projects.

Say what you will, the old 8-speed stuff was pretty much bulletproof. I can't even count how many bikes this XTR rear derailleur has been installed on since it was new.

Only when I got to the drivetrain did I realize that I only had square taper bottom brackets and no square taper cranks. So I am just waiting for a bottom bracket... and maybe a rigid fork
    Last edited by jerry68; 09-12-2011 at 02:28 PM.
    Pisgah Area SORBA

Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    ... your idea of technical may be much different than other peoples idea of technical.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Not that I know any different.....

But so far loving my 05 specialized hardrock SS.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    05 specialized hardrock SS.

born to chill
    Seeing as how my most recent purchase was a 26" hardtail, I say yup. Actually, the purchase before that was an Unreal Senior hardtail frame for a DJ build I'm doing, and my next bike will most likely be another 26" HT.
    FATRAC - Folsom-Auburn Trail Riders Coalition - Member
    My personal site - Living single, seeing double, jumping triples

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by spadmike View Post
    Do we need to start a 26er hard tail forum? I am wondering how many other riders will follow the same path?
    YES! and call it "26ers still holding on"

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I still adore my 26" hardtail. I put in about 140 miles per week on that thing.
    Last edited by smallzi; 09-12-2011 at 02:57 PM. Reason: picture is not displaying properly

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by chickenowa View Post
    29' looks weird. Don't like it and love my 26'!
    +1

Page 11 of 40 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 21 ... LastLast