Wizard of the Trail

anybody ever service an I-Drive

I need my nephew's Gt I-Drive eccentric serviced. Is it an easy task or should I just take it to the LBS??

Wizard of the Trail
    sorry, I posted this in the wrong section. Can moderator put it in general??

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

It's pretty easy!

Quote Originally Posted by Geist262
    I need my nephew's Gt I-Drive eccentric serviced. Is it an easy task or should I just take it to the LBS??
    First, have your nephew get you the I-drive manual. The manual has good pictures and instructions for servicing the eccentric. The manual also lists the proper torque specs for each fastener on the bike. I recommend that you follow them it does make a difference.
    **When taking something new apart, take notes, pictures, whatever it takes, to remember the order that the parts go back together**

1) remove the cranks and bb (can leave the BB in if you want)
    2) On the non-drive side of the eccentric you will see three small bolts remove them.
    3) The eccentric is mounted just like the old style BB with and adjustable cup on one side.
    4) The three bolts you just took out were retaining a ring from turning. Use a spanner in the provided holes to loosen the ring . (it has RH threads).
    5) remove the "dog bone" or small link connecting the frame to the eccentric.
    6) finish removing the large ring. the eccentric should fall out of the drive side. Be careful it has lose ball bearings like a headset they may fall out. Its best to place a rag under the assembly to catch any pieces falling out.
    7) clean the assembly ..... lube and reassemble. You probably wont find any dirt in the eccentric as GT put pretty good seals on them.
    8) Be careful when handling the large machined eccentric. The first one that I serviced had very sharp edges and cut the %^&^% out of me while I was cleaning it.
    You'll find servicing the eccentric is just like servicing a wheel bearing or head set pretty simple. While you have the eccentric out would be a good time to check the main pivot for wear.
    "I've never been better .... nor cared less!"

Wizard of the Trail
    THANKS for replying! I didn't think anybody would. Anyway, how often should an I-Drive be serviced? A year or two. I think he has the bike 2 years now. I know its an 2001, but he got in 2002 I think. It was a little while after GT was bought out. Also, do you need a special spanner wrench or no? Thanks for the help.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    THANKS for replying! I didn't think anybody would. Anyway, how often should an I-Drive be serviced? A year or two. I think he has the bike 2 years now. I know its an 2001, but he got in 2002 I think. It was a little while after GT was bought out. Also, do you need a special spanner wrench or no? Thanks for the help.
    Probably a yearly service. I made a spanner to fit mine I'm not sure what is comercially available. Mine is a piece a bar stock with two small bolts through it to engage the holes in the ring. I usually repack all bearings yearly.

Wizard of the Trail
    I hate to keep picking your brain but, is there free ball bearings in there or do they have a retainer or are they the new style one piece bearing. I am mechanically inclined, but I don't want to get over my head with this. I have an I-Drive myself, but never serviced one. I just want to make sure there isn't going to be a ton of parts falling out of this thing. I guess if I can't get it back together, I can take it to the LBS.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I hate to keep picking your brain but, is there free ball bearings in there or do they have a retainer or are they the new style one piece bearing. I am mechanically inclined, but I don't want to get over my head with this. I have an I-Drive myself, but never serviced one. I just want to make sure there isn't going to be a ton of parts falling out of this thing. I guess if I can't get it back together, I can take it to the LBS.
    The balls are in a retainer that keeps them in their proper spacing but the balls do come out if it. The retainer looks like the ones used in non-sealed headsets. You wont have a problem. I let all of the bearings fall out of the retainers and clean them .....everthing. pack the retaoner ring with grease first and the grease will hold the balls in place until you put them back the the bearng races.

mtbr member

Frequency of I-Drive Service

I have a I-2.0 and have had the eccentric serviced once in the three years I've owned it. (About midway through the second year after a very, very wet weekend of muddy riding) Had the work done at the dealer for what that is worth and it cost somewhere in the area of $50 for the labor. No parts were needed but the mechanic said that mud had made its way past the seals.

The bike is currently in the shop getting a new bottom bracket but the eccentric is not in need of any service.

If it helps, here is a list of parts that have needed replacement in three years.

1- Rear WTB hub went when the bike was only a few months old. I replaced it with an XT hub and the cost was covered by warranty.
    2 -Bottom bracket died after three seasons. I'm also replacing that with with an XT.
    3. I found the original WTB tires wore out pretty quickly but I was not a real fan of them anyway.

So, that's it aside from the one service on the eccentric I already mentioned. I've found that the bike, like most GT's, is pretty bullet proof.

KgB
    SNGLSPD

I've never serviced mine

It has been under water in many a creek crossing.The only service I have done to any of the pivots is spray a little"one lube"(slick 50 spray)at it.The only thing wrong with mine is a little play in the shock bushings.In four years the frame has held up awseome.
    I've been inside too long.

just along for the ride
    I never serviced my '01 idrive concentric, it broke at 800 miles at the seat post mast, was warentee replaced with a '03 frame and this time holding up to just XC riding. I do run a fugly fender to protect the mechanism from dust/mud... well worth the 150 grams it weights
    Attached Images Attached Images

Wizard of the Trail
    Yesterday I took the Dog bone out and those retainer (lock)screws. I can't figure out how to get the rest of it out. I have the bike in a stand and looking at the non drive side with the holes in it. I tried spinning it around, which it does, but it does just that, it spins, nothing loosing. Which way do I turn it and what am I forgetting? Thanks for the help!!!

tcp
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

an idea..

Yesterday I took the Dog bone out and those retainer (lock)screws. I can't figure out how to get the rest of it out. I have the bike in a stand and looking at the non drive side with the holes in it. I tried spinning it around, which it does, but it does just that, it spins, nothing loosing. Which way do I turn it and what am I forgetting? Thanks for the help!!!
    might be to keep the dogbone in place until the outer ring is loose from the main idrive unit. mine was quite tight and required clamping in a vice to keep the whole thing from just spinning on its bearings. you're doing things right, just hold the main part steady while removing the ring (where you removed the three bolts from).

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I must have forgotten to tell you to leave the dogbone in until after you have the big ring losened. I learned this the hard way as well. Dogbone will keep the eccentric from spinning in its housing. Mine was quite tight the first time as well. Remeber not to get to tight when assembling. Only tighten enough to take the play out of the bearings.

Wizard of the Trail
    Ok, I got it apart after I made a cheapo spanner wrench. The dog bone bushings are kaputt, but I will look at the LBS for some or internet. I want to buy a spanner wrench to work on this easier. I emailed park and they said the SPA-1, SPA-2 and SPA-6 will work on the 2-7/8" span for I-Drive. The thing I am concerned with is, what is the size hole on that lockring? Anyone know??
    Thanks for all the help guys!!