Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Your Customer Sales Rep

Any other Winter commuters out there?

"My days are darker than your nights ..."

You be you. I'll be riding.

Carpe Noctem
    Dec 2005
    I commute in any weather too but It's been prety nice here lately, I don't envy your cold windy rainy future.
    Off season? What off season?

mtbr member
    I have been trying to . But the errands I have to do , with the time allowed to do them, along with my schedule right now doesn't allow it.
    I wish I could , since it's been mild here in South Dakota , as far as winter goes.
    rideyourbicycle.blogspot.com

Carpe Noctem
    Dec 2005
    do you guys stick to bike gear when it's cold and wet or do you use ski/snowboard stuff?
    Off season? What off season?

i worship Mr T

me! me! me!

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan!
    "My days are darker than your nights ..."

but i live in the sissy south where it was 65* yesterday.

Today
    Jan 05 Partly Cloudy 56°/33° 0 %
    Fri
    Jan 06 Mostly Cloudy 44°/26° 10 %
    Sat
    Jan 07 Sunny 46°/29° 0 %
    Sun
    Jan 08 Mostly Sunny 56°/42° 0 %
    Mon
    Jan 09 Partly Cloudy 58°/46° 20 %
    Tue
    Jan 10 Partly Cloudy 62°/45° 20 %
    Wed
    Jan 11 Cloudy 60°/38° 20 %
    Thu
    Jan 12 Scattered Showers 57°/40° 60 %
    Fri
    Jan 13 Scattered Showers 57°/38° 30 %
    Sat
    Jan 14 AM Clouds / PM Sun 55°/38° 20 %

ahhhhh....winter.

rt
    [SIZE="2"]"where are you not going so fast?" (question asked to cyclist on a trainer)[/SIZE]

[SIZE="2"]*rt*'s fabulous blog[/SIZE]
    [SIZE="2"][SIZE="2"]mm blogging[/SIZE][/SIZE]

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    Yup - I commute too, 30 mile round trip....but in Northern Cali it can hardly be called winter (minus all the dang rainfall over the past week). Hell... I get cold when it's 35F out.

Today on the ride home it will be 70F and balmy - just gotta watch out for all the idiot drivers out here in Silicon Valley.

Side Note: Anyone know if it's OK to ride with an HID on your head in traffic? I had a cop kinda eyeballing me on the way home a couple of days ago. I gotta say an HID WILL get a drivers attention if they are on autopilot.
    Visit these 2 places to help advance trail access:
    http://www.sharingthepct.org/
    http://www.facebook.com/SharingThePct

I just wanna ride my bike

Will start again when daylight stays until....

....5:30pm at least and the spooky parts of my bike route aren't dark or booby trapped with evil cars or mindless pedestrians that are a danger during the day, much less at night.

CraigH and I moved to North Delta last July so I started commuting at least once to twice per week from work (Vancouver) to home (about a 35 km or 21 mile route). It's a nice way to get exercise and relax from a day's work, other than going over the infamous Patullo Bridge.

Ina

mtbr member
    Today was my first commute since the roads got snowy/icy at Thanksgiving. I bought myself some studded tires and a flourescent yellow windbreaker for x-mas and had a couple trial runs before this morning's ride.

5 miles each way
    This morning was 29F (-1.5C) and dark

I'm not looking forward to the ride home when it's supposed to get above freezing, the roads will probably be a mess.

I usually just wear my work clothes (business casual) for the ride but with the colder weather and potentially slushy roads I'm experimenting with other stuff. This morning I wore a thin poly-pro shirt, a lightweight fleece, and the windbreaker. I also put gators on over my jeans to fend off any splashes but they made my calves pretty sweaty and the roads weren't wet this morning.

i worship Mr T
    Quote Originally Posted by CHUM
    Side Note: Anyone know if it's OK to ride with an HID on your head in traffic? I had a cop kinda eyeballing me on the way home a couple of days ago. I gotta say an HID WILL get a drivers attention if they are on autopilot.
    i ride with a helmet mounted HID when i commute. no cops have given me the evil eye...yet. i try to aim it down a bit so that it will not blind drivers by flashing in the rearview but i don't know how successful i am. on the other hand, i have had drivers who p!ssed me off so that i actually aimed the light at their rearview.

i like my HID for the reason you mention - it will get driver's attention. especially as i approach small cross streets where there are few street lights.

rt
    [SIZE="2"]"where are you not going so fast?" (question asked to cyclist on a trainer)[/SIZE]

Your Customer Sales Rep
    Quote Originally Posted by OnTheMoment
    do you guys stick to bike gear when it's cold and wet or do you use ski/snowboard stuff?
    Rarely gets below freezing, but being wet when just above freezing is a drag. I ride with raingear, including gortex socks and neoprene overshoes. D.

Your Customer Sales Rep
    Quote Originally Posted by TheotherH
    It's a nice way to get exercise and relax from a day's work, other than going over the infamous Patullo Bridge.

Ina
    AKA "The Loaded Gun", according to yesterday's Globe and Mail. D.

Your Customer Sales Rep
    I assume it will vary according to your local traffic bylaws. I heard of the cops pulling someone over for having the wrong colour facing the wrong way (white lights in the forward direction, red in the reverse - always, apparently). I use a 10W helmet mounted halogen light on the front, and a red flahing LED on the back. D.

That's my name
    Errr... Duncan, you are commuting in plus degrees!! Nothing significant about that. Get back to us when it's like -20 or something.
    But i totally agree with your comment about just above zero and wet, those times have to be the absolute pits to commute in. Here in Finland we had a particular wet and dismal early winter, riding to work was the absolute worst, especially if the snow had melted and turned to slush. I absolutely hated some of my commutes then, give me -10 and windy any day over that shite.

banned
    Mar 2005

Your Customer Sales Rep
    Quote Originally Posted by mr plow
    Errr... Duncan, you are commuting in plus degrees!! Nothing significant about that. Get back to us when it's like -20 or something.
    But i totally agree with your comment about just above zero and wet, those times have to be the absolute pits to commute in. Here in Finland we had a particular wet and dismal early winter, riding to work was the absolute worst, especially if the snow had melted and turned to slush. I absolutely hated some of my commutes then, give me -10 and windy any day over that shite.
    I will gladly trade -20 and sunny anyday for weeks of unending rain, mud, 70 km/h wind and 3 degree riding temperatures too :-)

We had this in December ... subzero is much better

Last edited by Duncan!; 01-05-2006 at 11:38 AM.

jra
    Quote Originally Posted by JM01
    Darn dude, nice...work. I'll never complain about my sissy little 20 mile commute again, even with the 18 mph headwinds, heavy NorCal rains in the dark...oh and "losing" my headlights mid-way!! Battery = fubar.

jrm
    mtbr member

I use a L &M HID..

[But i find that drivers cant make out what i am because theyve never seen a single light that bright before. This had made for some kinda iffy situations where drivers/peds miscalculate my speed or direction.

Now im using this cat eye LED pen light thats real bright, 4 a LED and has the pulsating mode so it seems drivers can make out that im a bicycle. BUT this light doesnt throw a beam for shlt so i have to rely on tires more in the case i run over something i didnt see.

smw
    pedal pusher
    Quote Originally Posted by *rt*
    but i live in the sissy south where it was 65* yesterday.

Today
    Jan 05 Partly Cloudy 56°/33° 0 %
    Fri
    Jan 06 Mostly Cloudy 44°/26° 10 %
    Sat
    Jan 07 Sunny 46°/29° 0 %
    Sun
    Jan 08 Mostly Sunny 56°/42° 0 %
    Mon
    Jan 09 Partly Cloudy 58°/46° 20 %
    Tue
    Jan 10 Partly Cloudy 62°/45° 20 %
    Wed
    Jan 11 Cloudy 60°/38° 20 %
    Thu
    Jan 12 Scattered Showers 57°/40° 60 %
    Fri
    Jan 13 Scattered Showers 57°/38° 30 %
    Sat
    Jan 14 AM Clouds / PM Sun 55°/38° 20 %

ahhhhh....winter.

rt
    Your killin me with that rt. Its been extremely wet and windy here in California. This week its finally drying out a bit, and some trails may be rideable by the weekend. That is if the roads are open to get to them. Blah, I thought this was supposed to be california.

Sean

i worship Mr T
    Quote Originally Posted by jrm
    [But i find that drivers cant make out what i am because theyve never seen a single light that bright before. This had made for some kinda iffy situations where drivers/peds miscalculate my speed or direction.

Now im using this cat eye LED pen light thats real bright, 4 a LED and has the pulsating mode so it seems drivers can make out that im a bicycle. BUT this light doesnt throw a beam for shlt so i have to rely on tires more in the case i run over something i didnt see.
    mine is also a L&M HID.....but so far i haven't had any problem with people miscalculating my speed/direction.

i've also got one of the cat eye LEDs, but agree with you that it doesn't provide enough light. i keep it as a backup in case my HID battery dies.

rt

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by *rt*
    mine is also a L&M HID.....but so far i haven't had any problem with people miscalculating my speed/direction.

i've also got one of the cat eye LEDs, but agree with you that it doesn't provide enough light. i keep it as a backup in case my HID battery dies.

rt
    That's what I run too - L&M HID w/ a cateye triple shot on the bar. I once had to shine a gal who was gonna merge right into me - lit up the entire inside of the car and I actually got an "O" face...she stopped by the way and didn't run me over - kinda polite
    Visit these 2 places to help advance trail access:
    http://www.sharingthepct.org/
    http://www.facebook.com/SharingThePct

i worship Mr T
    Quote Originally Posted by smw
    Your killin me with that rt. Its been extremely wet and windy here in California. This week its finally drying out a bit, and some trails may be rideable by the weekend. That is if the roads are open to get to them. Blah, I thought this was supposed to be california.

Sean
    yeah, i've been seeing that you guys are getting pounded. usually this is our "rainy" season (though to be honest it is rainy season 12 months out of the year around here) but we've had unseasonably warm and nice weather. makes me wonder if Feb will be one ice storm after the next to make up for all this beautiful weather we're having now.

rt

i worship Mr T
    Quote Originally Posted by CHUM
    That's what I run too - L&M HID w/ a cateye triple shot on the bar. I once had to shine a gal who was gonna merge right into me - lit up the entire inside of the car and I actually got an "O" face...she stopped by the way and didn't run me over - kinda polite
    LOL! she probably thought aliens were trying to land in her car!

rt

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Mountain Biking in Antarctica

This guy make us all look like whimps.

http://www.sethwhite.org/mountain%20biking.htm

"When I got here, I anticipated not being able to ride during the winter. As it turns out though, on many days it's not really THAT cold (maybe 10-20 below zero). And if there's not too much wind, it's perfect for riding....provided you wear enough clothing. Here's me with the full compliment....face mask, hat, goggles, helmet. I also wore my regular shoes with heavy socks and sock liners, heavy long underwear and blue jeans, light long underwear and a T-shirt, the RED PARKA, gloves, and a backpack with various items - including a radio. This worked out just fine...I ended up being a bit overdressed, actually."

Full of holes

'nother one here

It was -3C (and dark) this morning, around zero for the ride home. 46 kms with detours. I made the mistake of cutting through the woods on the way home. The tracks were still frozen with lots of ice patches. I had the bike sideways a couple times... still don't understand how I didn't come off.

commutin' Canuck
    Apr 2005
    it's been a piece of cake so far this year in Calgary. No snow on the ground at all right now (or ice). I may switch to my slicks again, although I know if I do that it'll snow overnight or something. Temperatures range between 10C and -25 usually (with some days in the -30s) but it has been unusually mild this year.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast