mtbr member

Another reason I love cycling: TBF Race report

A few more reasons why I love Cycling

It’s spring break for my kids this week and my sister flew out from New York with her kids to hang with us and go skiing up at Tahoe. I had warned her that the day after they flew in I had a bike race and they could come and watch if they want or go hit the slopes. When I started racing 2 years ago my family went with me, but the novelty of watching daddy be a nervous wreck has warn off, so I’ve been going solo to the races. As fate would have it I came down with a cold a few days before the race. As Sunday approached I was looking for a way out of doing the race. My wife & Sister’s response was to give me a hard time….”we flew 3,000 miles to watch this race your better win”…. I feel like crap, this is my second race at Expert class, I can’t even imagine doing the 3 laps.
    Sunday 6am the Alarm goes off and I’m actually asleep. My throat is killing me, all I want to do is go back to sleep. My wife usually gets real pissed off at me for riding when I don’t feel well but NOOOOO, not today. “ You’ll feel fine once you get going, it will be fun”.
    So I get to the race site and try to put my new race bike (Soulcraft) on the trainer. Surprise…the rear detailer cable housing is blocking where I would attach the trainer. Great, I hate warming up, so I spin around the parking lot.
    Start time, and the entire family have all arrived. They start all Experts together…3… 2 … 1.. GO! The beginning is flat and I’m going to draft anyone I can. We go past the crowd “go Daddy. Go uncle Rick” great more pressure
    I do my first lap and realize that regardless of how crappie I feel I can still ride at a reasonable pace and that if I can avoid blowing up I’ll do OK. Somewhere after the first lap I catch up to my friend Roger_, who I met through the passion board. He is on his SS and can only spin so fast on this flat course. I get into his draft, catch my breath and say “ god you’re sexy when you’re muddy!” One of the best parts of the race for me, kidding around with a friend during a race! Roger_ lets me pass him and then had a chance to watch me pick all the bad lines and over break through the single-track.
    Onto lap 3, I know I’m ahead of a few people in the fossil class (40-49), and there cant be more then 5-8 people in my class, so I’m pretty sure I have a shot at getting on the podium. I know this would make the day for the family. My legs start to cramp big time half way through the last lap…spin spin…almost done. The finish line is in site I go through the timer and see my time 2:05. 2 minutes slower then the last time I did the race. Amazing! You feel horrible and it only adds up 2 minutes slower. I couldn’t believe it. Roger_finshed right after me (he would have been WAY ahead if he had gears). My family runs over to congratulate me and then I head to the car for my Endurox and mass dosage of vitamin C.
    The Awards started right away, and I still have no idea how I placed. They finally get to my class, they call out third place, don’t recognize him, 2nd place, I KNOW I passed him! I WON! They call my name, my family goes crazy. MY sister just finished going through a real nasty divorce, starts crying! Unbelievable! I honestly could not believe it. Thanks you to all the really fast people in my class for not showing up, you made me look like a stud for the day! Here are some pic’s
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Nice job, homie

and thanks for the out, but you kicked my arse fair and square.

JFR
    mtbr member
    So THAT's where you were on Sunday. We were hoping to see you (and meimeme?) at Bullards Bar.

Congrats on your win, and thanks for the recap, it was a good read.

mtbr member

Thanks Dog!

Quote Originally Posted by Roger___
    and thanks for the out, but you kicked my arse fair and square.
    I'm sure if you had some gears you would have kicked my arse!
    Here is a pic before Roger_ gave me my congratulations kiss!
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JFR
    So THAT's where you were on Sunday. We were hoping to see you (and meimeme?) at Bullards Bar.

Congrats on your win, and thanks for the recap, it was a good read.
    How was bullards? LOts of Poison Oak?

mtbr member

Upset woops

browser problem, igonre
    Last edited by merlin; 04-06-2004 at 12:28 PM. Reason: double post

i worship Mr T

congrats!!

now sit back, recover, and pass the matzoh.

awesome job.

rt
    [SIZE="2"]"where are you not going so fast?" (question asked to cyclist on a trainer)[/SIZE]

[SIZE="2"]*rt*'s fabulous blog[/SIZE]
    [SIZE="2"][SIZE="2"]mm blogging[/SIZE][/SIZE]

mtbr member

Lol!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by *rt*
    now sit back, recover, and pass the matzoh.

awesome job.

rt
    Good one. No Jewish hollidays for me, I practice the religion by complaing how sick I feel

i worship Mr T

hahahahaha!

Quote Originally Posted by merlin
    Good one. No Jewish hollidays for me, I practice the religion by complaing how sick I feel
    yes, but if you're going to do it properly you have to whisper the word "sick".

rt - eating matzoh and writing my race report
    [SIZE="2"]"where are you not going so fast?" (question asked to cyclist on a trainer)[/SIZE]

[SIZE="2"]*rt*'s fabulous blog[/SIZE]
    [SIZE="2"][SIZE="2"]mm blogging[/SIZE][/SIZE]

Ebo
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Congrat's Rick....Great ride on your new HT.

JFR
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by merlin
    How was bullards? LOts of Poison Oak?
    It was a blast. None of us had ridden there in ages and it was fun to ride something different. I had especially forgotten how tight a lot of the trail is (especially with 27in wide bars), there were countless turns that required PERFECT bike/body position to negotiate at speed. A good time was had for sure.

The oak was ever present and encroaching on the trail in places, it's looking pretty ripe too. Thank goodness for science (Technu and Zanfel).

J_B
    3056-BigGameHunter
    Merlin,

Congrats!!! I raced sport class on my 32lb SC Heckler. I didn't place but I shaved about 6 mins from my last race time(1:46 down to 1:39)). I do remember seeing you pass me and a bunch of others on the course. I was beat when done but I went home and loaded up the DH bike for some shuttle runs into the OHV park in Auburn. Your buddy on the single speed...was he on a Bianchi S.I.S.S? If so, he rips!!!

mtbr member

Sinlgespeed

Quote Originally Posted by J_B
    Merlin,

Congrats!!! I raced sport class on my 32lb SC Heckler. I didn't place but I shaved about 6 mins from my last race time(1:46 down to 1:39)). I do remember seeing you pass me and a bunch of others on the course. I was beat when done but I went home and loaded up the DH bike for some shuttle runs into the OHV park in Auburn. Your buddy on the single speed...was he on a Bianchi S.I.S.S? If so, he rips!!!
    i had 2 friends racing on SS bikes, both Phil Woods...they both rip!

beer thief
    Great write up Rick - damn, you almost had me crying at the end.

Still riding on the last ice & snow remnants; that warm CA sun sounds quite inviting.

Jed Peters
    Dude, that's so rad.

Congrats!

E~Pluribus Unum
    Great Job.

Roady bike training paying off?

Mythical Creature

Nice!

Great work, especilly considering the family 'situation' and the sub-par sense of wellness; and nice write-up. Sounds like I need to get out that way this year for some riding... got a friend down in Bear Valley, CA and miss riding with him. One day....
    follow me on Twitter!
    "It's better to regret something you HAVE done, than something you haven't..." -

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Bb

Quote Originally Posted by JFR
    Funny, I was at Bullard's Bar Sunday, but on a road ride between Grass Valley and BB :-) I thought of you guys as I spun on the pavement on Marysville Road. We should all get together for a ride in this area soon.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Thanks for that Merlin. At 39 yrs of age I'm already fealing a bit fossilised and seeing you guys at it fills me with hope. I want to be riding hard in my 80's. Hope I get to!