Goat of Legend

Another frame victim

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Greetins all,

This weekend I drove to Ducktown, Tennessee to Ride Chillowhee and Tanasi and do some camping with some friends from Atlanta. Well, I got up and drove the 2 and half hours from Asheville and set up camp with my buddies. Then we drove about 10 miles down the road to ride Chillowhee. 5 minutes into the ride I heard a poping sound and my bike sagged forward. At first, I thought my Cane Creek Post had popped and caused the commotion. I got off my bike and witnessed a site no mountain biker ever wants to see. My frame broke, a clean break right behind the head tube gussut on the down tube.
    I told them to go ahead and hiked out of the woods,after we took some trail side pics of the carnage. My only theory is that many hard miles of Pisgah had weakened the frame and that it must of already been cracked when I started out today because of the flatness off the trail we were on. We hadn't gotten to that seven mile downhill on the side of the cliff yet. Then on my way home I got rear ended which only put a little paint on my rear bumper but still, what a way to end it! Anyway, I'm home now getting ready to prep my bike to be warrantied and the new hardtail frame sold so I can get my new Jamis Dakar XLT. The year of the duelie is upon me.
    Attached Images Attached Images

bi-winning

Dude!

That must suck. If that happened to my bike, i think i would cry. well ok maybee not, but that is a sad sight to see. I dunno how a frame just breaks like that though! Ah well, $#!* happens. Just a good excuse to get a new bike i suppose

Goat of Legend

5 inch travel on the way

Yea, my wife did let me buy the bike of my dreams though. I got a Jamis Dakar XLT 2.0. This bike comes with the Manitou MInute 2 fork, Manitou Swinger 4 way rear shock, XT hubs, derailluers, and shifters,Avid Juicy 7 hydo disc brakes, Mavic X 231 rims, Truvativ Holzfeller cranks, and Time ATAC pedals for a little over 2 Grand. MY LBS should have it in by the end of the week.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member

Ah, full-spendy at last!

You are going to bomb downhills at Pisgah with all that travel!! It takes me 4 inches of travel just to keep close to you on your "old" bike!

You'll have more travel and it will be more efficient than me w/ the SPV shocks front and rear.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Sorry to see that. I keep wondering if that's going to happen to me. I've been riding the same aluminum frame since... Dec of '97. Sometimes I wonder how long the thing can last, and post ride frame inspections have become a standard routine. At the same time, the bike just keeps going and going...

How old was your frame?

Goat of Legend

year of the hardtail

Quote Originally Posted by grundy
    Sorry to see that. I keep wondering if that's going to happen to me. I've been riding the same aluminum frame since... Dec of '97. Sometimes I wonder how long the thing can last, and post ride frame inspections have become a standard routine. At the same time, the bike just keeps going and going...

How old was your frame?

This frame was 9 months old. This is the 4th Raliegh that I have bent or broken, all warrantied which I have to give props to Raliegh for. I believe in hardtails and I urge the beginner cross country rider to start on one but, I'm riding the hardcore trails of Pisgah National Forest doing epic rides of 30-40 miles every weekend and can't afford to be off the bike a month at a time. A 5" travel duelie is the perfect rig for around here. I'm actually borrowing a Haro Duelie until my rig comes in and learning the world of full suspension.

Inbred Homebrewer
    Quote Originally Posted by mountaingoatepics
    This frame was 9 months old. This is the 4th Raliegh that I have bent or broken. . .I'm riding the hardcore trails of Pisgah National Forest doing epic rides of 30-40 miles every weekend and can't afford to be off the bike a month at a time. A 5" travel duelie is the perfect rig for around here.

I'm sure you'll like your new bike but, if you're a fan of hardtails, why surrender to the squishy side?

I wonder why, after cracking so many frames, would you continue to ride ALUMINUM? A well-built steel (or Ti) frame would endure years of abuse and never crack like that. Not to mention that it would be a lot more comfortable on those long rides.

-Stick (hardtail devotee)
    [SIZE="2"][/SIZE]"mmmm....Beeeeeeer." - Homer J. Simpson

Goat of Legend

Narley trails

Quote Originally Posted by Stick
    I'm sure you'll like your new bike but, if you're a fan of hardtails, why surrender to the squishy side?

I wonder why, after cracking so many frames, would you continue to ride ALUMINUM? A well-built steel (or Ti) frame would endure years of abuse and never crack like that. Not to mention that it would be a lot more comfortable on those long rides.

-Stick (hardtail devotee)

Stick,

I love a hardtail and when I can afford it I will get another! I always encourage new riders to start on a hardtail just because of the skill it will help you develop.

On the other hand, I ride long big rides on the rugged trails of the trail goddess herself: Pisgah National Forest. Lots of big rock gardens, slick roots, a few big drops, steep climbs and killer technical descents. The Jamis has been my dream bike for about 3 yrs now and with all the new SPV techno on it will be almost as efficent as a hardtail but take big drops without blinkin twice.

I've seen what a duelie could do for you even on climbs. I had a buddy that went from a hardtail to a duelie and immediately started gaining on the descents and even the climbs. I saw that every where I was using body english and technical finess to get up technical singletrack, his bike was doing all the work. I'm intriged to see what it might/ might not do for me and my abilities.

Goat of Legend

No Longer Trusted!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I talked with my rep for the area. He said he could only get me a M80 frame to replace the Team Issue even though I had paid for a upgrade to the M800 2 yrs ago. He said his hands were tied that the big wigs at Raleigh did not want to give me another frame at because they were suspisious. Yea, its the 4th Raleigh I've broken. They say they have sold thousands and not had a problem. I'll say, your probably right because most people who ride 35-45 mile epic rides every weekend, do endurance mountain bike races, and ride trails as rough as Pisgah at some type of speed don't ride a damned Raleigh!!! I've carriered their name as far as I'm going to and will not longer defend them when I hear someone else trash their bikes.

Lazy People Suck
    " See how it goes, then start bashing away. I've been doing it with Tomac for three months and I've beemn having a blast. The CPSC is investigating my frame failure. It cracked at nearly every weld:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...tomac+pictures

Steve, Have actually provided Tomac with proof of ownership yet? I have followed this over the last few months, but had not heard how things have turned out. I think you have had reason to be PO'd but had not read anywhere that you provided Tomac with the reasonable proof of ownership that they had asked for.
    "Son, The world needs ditchdiggers, too"-Ted Knight, Caddyshack

I like pie
    Feb 2004
    Ouch, that really sucks man...

Speaking of the Dakar, one of the guys on campus has mentioned that he might sell me his Comp next year. And I agree about learning on a hardtail, after riding a hardtail for some time now (2002 Trek 4300) I believe I have gained more skill than I would have if I'd been riding a FS the whole time.