Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member
    I live in Los Angeles, and ride locally in the Santa Monica Mountains. Ive seen a large coyote with a young deer in his mouth, several deer, several rattle snakes, a red tail hawk roosting in the tree above me. Up north at Sycamore Canyon there is a flock of blue wild parrots. In Griffith Park I encountered a bob cat, just sitting and watching me. There was a family of 3 coyotes I ran into many times. I even saw a mountain lion in the park, afterwords I rarely saw the coyote family, just one underfed squagly one from time to time. One amazing time along the LA River bike path I saw a couple of condors; o

The wildest thing I ever saw was a whale. I was riding the bike path at the Manhattan Beachj pier, a huge whale cruised by about 15 feet out, every fisherman began hooking up with the whale as it swam by. Pow, pow, pow, all their lines were being snagged! I hope it didn't hurt the whale; )

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by zerodish View Post
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/789348.../in/photolist- Here you go. The dogs attacked the panniers which is the same place wolfs take down a dear. I usually chase two dogs back onto the property but 5 needed to be handled more carefully. I threatened the 911 operator and the department of transportation and the local newspaper but none of them replied.
    you should have kicked the dogs

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Here is what we encounter in the desert:

Tortiousus (spelling ?)
    wild burros
    horses
    rattle snakes
    cattle
    scorpions

mtbr member
    I wish I was more attentive to my surroundings. I ride the mountains all the time, and many times my buddies will point out the bear, elk, deer, etc. By the time I look up they are gone.

Same thing while scuba diving. My daughter will tug my fin, and point out the octopus, eel, rock-fish, etc., right after I pass over them oblivious that they are there!
    Santa Fe, NM

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    so last Summer we are up camping in the mountains. Wife goes for a hike with the kids. Before the hike, she tells the kids to stay close and tell her if they see any animals (she is helicopter mom and paranoid).

So they are on a winding path, with the 6yo 50' in the lead.

"HEY MOMMY! AN ANIMAL!" from around the corner.

Mom comes around the corner and 6yo is 10' from a 8' moose standing on the path. Just pointing at him like "look at him".

Fortunately he turned around and trotted off (the moose, that is) and nobody got hurt.

A few weeks later I'm mtb on my favorite trail, and come around a corner, and a single rider is stopped on the single track 100' ahead with a young moose in a face off. Me and my partner turned around and hiked off the trail after pitching our bikes in the bushes, and 3-4 min later he came walked thru like he owned the place (which he did). We caught up to the biker and he was really shook up, almost shat hisself.

Moose on trail - YouTube

Close calls

Moderator Moderator

Porcupine Passion

On yesterday's ride I was thankful that porcupines climb trees and Keeper doesn't.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails animal encounters-p1050239-960x1280-.jpg  

animal encounters-p1050245-1280x960-.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark View Post
    The usual deer, turkey, critters....
    Mountain lion in southern Indiana ran across the trail in front of me.
    Few weeks back there was a moose right beside the trail, it was not concerned with me at all.

Also accidentally ran over a copperhead last year, also interesting and a bit scary.
    Mountain Lion and Moose in Indiana?????? What's in your gatorade?

mtbr member
    No mountain lions or bears here. Saw a Skink (small lizard) crawl out from under a rock I was just about to roll over on the weekend. Another ride a couple of weekends ago, I was out on a trail and came to an open grassy area. It was all dug up (the grass) and a dozen or more rocks were exposed. I thought to myself ' someone's making a rock garden!' Then I remembered back to 15+ years ago when I worked as a bushman! It was pig sign (rooting) it was either several pigs, or one frickin large one. The sign was pretty fresh too, made in the last hour or so. Having had a scary run in with a boar all those years ago, I was on tender hooks until I got back on the forestry road.
    Last edited by targnik; 11-09-2014 at 03:32 PM.
    to err is human... to face plant is frickin hilarious!!

beater

animal encounters

It's been a few years since I've seen a bear on a trail, but I see scat pretty regularly. There was some on a trail 30 feet behind my house last week. Cats are around, but I've never seen one.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    This one time over the summer I was out doing a solo ride and I came across what looked like a herd of cows! They appeared to be grazing but I didn't want to find out, so I got the hell out of there.
    Last edited by acfsportsfan; 11-11-2014 at 07:46 AM.

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by kowboy17 View Post
    Mountain Lion and Moose in Indiana?????? What's in your gatorade?
    Exactly...hello!
    Probably a bobcat and a cow / cattle.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^Rock Garden
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqpcBpSsj1A

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by InJ3cted View Post
    Hit an owl when it jesus'd on me in the middle of the night while eating road kill

That sucks!
    This is how the majority of raptors get killed. On the road eating road kill without enough lifting speed to get out of the way of an oncoming vehicle.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^Rock Garden
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqpcBpSsj1A

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Rattle snakes
    lots o' deer
    elk
    moose
    wild turkeys
    bison (Antelope Island in the Great Salt Lake, lots of them out there)
    grouse
    I ride trails where mountain lions are seen a few times each summer but I've never seen one.
    I hear Coyotes on night rides but never see them.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by baker View Post
    The dog (Tess) was ok, after the coyote was chased off. Basically like a regular short dog fight.

On the other hand, she has been bitten by rattlesnakes twice, once resulting in her death and resuscitation by my wife (who is a vet and happened to be right there when it happened). Tess has been an expensive dog (ever priced rattlesnake antivenin?)...

The joys of "country living". The rattlesnake bites were at our house, not on the trail.
    rattlesnakes at your house? if you don't mind me asking.. where are you located? we are currently dealing with rats at our place, and having a hard time sleeping, can't imagine poisonous snakes being near by... stay safe...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Forcemajeure View Post
    rattlesnakes at your house? if you don't mind me asking.. where are you located? we are currently dealing with rats at our place, and having a hard time sleeping, can't imagine poisonous snakes being near by... stay safe...
    I think you just found the answer to your rat problem. Bring in snakes

Candlestick Maker
    Quote Originally Posted by Forcemajeure View Post
    Outside of Monument Colorado, USA. The area I live in was once nicknamed "Rattlesnake Mesa" and they had annual rattlesnake roundups.

We don't have rat problems. We did have mouse problems 'til we got a couple indoor kitties. Snack time...
    baker

mtbr member
    Mama Black Bear and her two yearling cubs at less than 50 feet. I stopped, she stood on her hind legs, snorted and huffed a couple of times as she was pretty stressed that I showed up in her house without warning.. Her young'ns headed a few feet up the nearest tree. She weighed her options, I was slightly uphill of them. She chose to turn and run in the downhill direction, calling her kids to follow. They all sprinted away surprisingly fast. Cutest dang cubs you'll ever see. Ironically on a local trail named Yogi/Boo Boo

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Years ago while riding the Shingle Mill Trail near Vanderbilt MI I was bombing down a big hill (like couldn't pedal any faster in top gear). Unknown to me at the bottom was a group of elk bedded down. When I came through they exploded in every direction before I could react. They ran in front of me, behind me, they were everywhere.
    I still think how lucky I was not to get bulldozed by 900# of venison.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    On an early morning fall ride a few years ago almost t boned a whitetail buck on the mt bike. Me, going fast on a smooth ,wooded downhill, him at full run on my left, bounding up high. I saw something off to my left and heard one foot strike in the leaves. Jammed on the binders quickly and slowed to about 15 mph. He leaped across the trail at least 4 ft above it 10 ft in front of me. Really close at speed. I love my disc brakes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I had one ride in which I saw a snake, beaver, deer, and then just before finishing the ride had a squirrel run underneath my front tire, bouncing up into the spokes for a second or two, and then sprinting away. It was startling even with such a small and common creature.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian412 View Post
    Almost ran into this snake. Just was getting started on the trail. Came around a turn and the snake was right in the middle of the trail. I stopped about 3 feet from the snake. It coiled up instantly and stayed there for about 10 minutes.

I've encountered a Florida Panther, hogs, snakes, deer, armadillos (never know which way they'll run), alligators, etc. Always an adventure.
    Which trail did you see that on. I ride in the FL also and have yet to spot one at santos, mt dora or my local trails. Seen plenty of wild hogs an man eating gators though!

Magically Delicious
    I had a bizarre encounter with a possum several weeks ago. Most of you know what a possum looks like. But to me, they remind me of an overgrown Halloweenish, diseased and scary albino rat.

As I'm riding along I look to my left and I see a possum scurrying pretty fast on a diagonal line towards me in my direction of flow along an open, grassy area (Think about driving along a frontage road with a freeway on your left and the possum is exiting the freeway and approaching the frontage road that you're driving along.)

So this possum comes along to my immediate left and is now slightly ahead of me and running at my speed just to the left and parallel to the trail. As I'm watching him I stop pedaling as if to evaluate if he will past in front and across my path when he turns hard right across my path and he almost makes it across in front of me, but I run over its tail. This is all happening about 10 mph or so.

As I'm riding over its tail, it immediately (speed of light)) curls up and attacks the wheel and tire. (Now you have to picture this in your mind and grasp just how fast this takes place while I'm rolling along) The rotation of the front wheel immediately flings the pissed possum up off the front wheel and lands onto my right leg just below the knee. (again, think at the speed of light [joking] how quickly this takes place) Now my adrenaline instantly spikes into the stratosphere as this hissing, flinging, pissed off animal is clamoring for a purchase of my leg or anything it can get with teeth or claws into.

Without hesitation or any conscious thought, my leg and foot are out of the clips and as if punting a football I am ejecting this creature into space. There it goes about twenty feet to my forward right and it happened so fast that I pull to a stop and look around as if thinking "did that really just happen?"

It must have happened and I'm in cardio/adrenaline over-drive as I'm looking in the direction of where the recently ejected possum landed. I don't know how freaked out that possum was, but I can assure you that I was freaked out. I've never had an encounter like that before. And, seriously hope to not have another.
    A bad day of cycling is better than a good day at work

Work Truck - Dassault Falcon 7X

mtbr member

Re: animal encounters

Quote Originally Posted by Cleared2land View Post
    I had a bizarre encounter with a possum several weeks ago. Most of you know what a possum looks like. But to me, they remind me of an overgrown Halloweenish, diseased and scary albino rat.

As I'm riding along I look to my left and I see a possum scurrying pretty fast on a diagonal line towards me in my direction of flow along an open, grassy area (Think about driving along a frontage road with a freeway on your left and the possum is exiting the freeway and approaching the frontage road that you're driving along.)

So this possum comes along to my immediate left and is now slightly ahead of me and running at my speed just to the left and parallel to the trail. As I'm watching him I stop pedaling as if to evaluate if he will past in front and across my path when he turns hard right across my path and he almost makes it across in front of me, but I run over its tail. This is all happening about 10 mph or so.

As I'm riding over its tail, it immediately (speed of light)) curls up and attacks the wheel and tire. (Now you have to picture this in your mind and grasp just how fast this takes place while I'm rolling along) The rotation of the front wheel immediately flings the pissed possum up off the front wheel and lands onto my right leg just below the knee. (again, think at the speed of light [joking] how quickly this takes place) Now my adrenaline instantly spikes into the stratosphere as this hissing, flinging, pissed off animal is clamoring for a purchase of my leg or anything it can get with teeth or claws into.

Without hesitation or any conscious thought, my leg and foot are out of the clips and as if punting a football I am ejecting this creature into space. There it goes about twenty feet to my forward right and it happened so fast that I pull to a stop and look around as if thinking "did that really just happen?"

It must have happened and I'm in cardio/adrenaline over-drive as I'm looking in the direction of where the recently ejected possum landed. I don't know how freaked out that possum was, but I can assure you that I was freaked out. I've never had an encounter like that before. And, seriously hope to not have another.
    Lol-ing all over the place when I read this ^^

Think you did very well not ending up having a yard sale!
    to err is human... to face plant is frickin hilarious!!

mtbr member
    The other night I was heading home at dusk on my local singletrack. I came around the corner and there was a huge porcupine in the trail. I jammed on my breaks and he ran away or my way. He was trying to keep his back to me and just kept chugging along down the trail. I was going about 2 mph waiting for a good spot to pass but the little fella just kept going because he had me facing his back. I finally had a little spot to slide by, when I did he did a cute little pirouette to keep his back facing me. Wicked funny and a cute little bugger.

mtbr member
    I had a cool encounter with a bobcat once. I live right outside a state park and where I enter there is a small grassy river area and a beat up pallet bridge. I was riding my ss so I was very quiet as I came down to the bridge. As soon as my front tire hit it, I saw a head pop up right next to it with those tell tale ears. I stopped and he or she just stared at me. Thing was pretty big, it waited and darted off up the hill. I was going the same way so I just carried on. It would stop about fifteen yards ahead of me and turn back around to see if I was still there. We did this abut 3 times until it finally darted off into the woods. Kinda cool, I have seen more wild life up close on my single than any other bike. It's so quiet allot of times you get right up on something and it looks at you like, "hey where did you come from".

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast