Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member
    I love seeing a bit of wildlife while riding, but this thread makes me glad to be in NZ where you can crash through the forest without worrying about being bit or eaten. You can keep the snakes, bears etc etc thanks!

Candlestick Maker
    Snakes. Rattlesnakes, bull snakes, garter snakes. I once came around a corner at full speed, saw a rattlesnake in the trail, hammered the brakes, went OTB straight towards the snake. Luckily it had freaked out as much as me and I didn't land on it.

Black bears, always running away from me.

Coyotes. Mostly non-aggressive, although one attacked my off-leash (gasp) dog.

Wild turkeys.

Geese (one was protecting something and flapped the heck outta me, when I got too close).

A big herd of bighorn sheep (who were basically disinterested in us).

Lots and lots of deer over the years. Some scaring the cr@p outta me and vice versa.

An owl swooping right over my head.

Elk, running away.

Scary lizards, squirrels and rabbits...haha.

Hawks.
    baker

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    I saw BIGFOOT once, does that count? Lololo.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by baker View Post
    Snakes. Rattlesnakes, bull snakes, garter snakes. I once came around a corner at full speed, saw a rattlesnake in the trail, hammered the brakes, went OTB straight towards the snake. Luckily it had freaked out as much as me and I didn't land on it.

Black bears, always running away from me.

Coyotes. Mostly non-aggressive, although one attacked my off-leash (gasp) dog.

Wild turkeys.

Geese (one was protecting something and flapped the heck outta me, when I got too close).

A big herd of bighorn sheep (who were basically disinterested in us).

Lots and lots of deer over the years. Some scaring the cr@p outta me and vice versa.

An owl swooping right over my head.

Elk, running away.

Scary lizards, squirrels and rabbits...haha.

Hawks.
    Is your dog ok? What happened

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    no u didnt

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivan M View Post
    I saw BIGFOOT once, does that count? Lololo.
    no u didnt

Candlestick Maker
    Quote Originally Posted by Superleo View Post
    Is your dog ok? What happened
    The dog (Tess) was ok, after the coyote was chased off. Basically like a regular short dog fight.

On the other hand, she has been bitten by rattlesnakes twice, once resulting in her death and resuscitation by my wife (who is a vet and happened to be right there when it happened). Tess has been an expensive dog (ever priced rattlesnake antivenin?)...

The joys of "country living". The rattlesnake bites were at our house, not on the trail.
    baker

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by baker View Post
    The dog (Tess) was ok, after the coyote was chased off. Basically like a regular short dog fight.

On the other hand, she has been bitten by rattlesnakes twice, once resulting in her death and resuscitation by my wife (who is a vet and happened to be right there when it happened). Tess has been an expensive dog (ever priced rattlesnake antivenin?)...

The joys of "country living". The rattlesnake bites were at our house, not on the trail.
    I imagine those were really shitty experiences. I'm glad Tess is ok. What did your wife do? Sorry to ask so many questions but I'm a sucker for these stories. In Miami all I have are iguanas. I saw a few snakes when I used to ride ATVs but they slithered off right away and were tiny.

Candlestick Maker
    I believe it was a shot of adrenalin to the heart and CPR. That is one tough dog. I found the (dead) rattlesnake a couple days later. It was caught in some landscaping netting, which is probably why the dog/snake encounter happened.

The local animal that I haven't seen is a mountain lion. For a couple years, I used to get all creeped out while riding solo at night, thinking about them. One of my riding buddies did see one, had his light die on him right then, and had to dig through his pack for a spare while sitting there worrying about the cat. Got the light back on and got the heck outta there.
    baker

Rod
    Endorphin Junkie
    I've seen almost all of the scenery Baker has over the years excluding bear and big horn sheep. Bear digging in garbage don't count does it? I have to add fox, bobcat, and copperhead to the list though. I've only seen two bobcats throughout my life. Those cats stay hidden. I've always heard mountain lion legends and I know we have black bears in this area, but I haven't seen those on my bike. I saw my first bobcat on an ATV. The second one ran across the road in front of me when I was in a remote area in my car. I have seen elk in Eastern Kentucky, they're everywhere, but they're slowly migrating toward my current area, which is central Kentucky.
    There is not much choice between rotten apples.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Rabbit eyes glow red @ night, like little devils. Been chased by a big tom turkey, 9 mph and kept on running. Almost t boned a buck on a downhill ride early am once. I was at speed, he was at full run, about 20' away, all I saw was deer in front of me on the trail, in the air. 2 fistfull of brakes helped avoid collision.

Candlestick Maker
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    I've only seen two bobcats throughout my life. Those cats stay hidden.
    Lucky! There are supposed siting of bobcats around here, but I've never seen one.
    baker

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    ran into black bears 3 weeks in a row last late spring. Bought a bear tag this year.

mtbr member
    Small herd of Elk on the Argos climb at Apex trails in Golden Co this early evening. Nothing rare but still nice to see.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Hit an owl when it jesus'd on me in the middle of the night while eating road kill

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I was almost run down by a stampede of wild burros being chased by off leash dogs.

mtbr member
    I see a lot of "standard" New England wildlife like deer, turkeys, squirrels, snakes, etc, but this winter while fatbiking the Cape Cod National Seashore we saw a Snowy Owl. It was huge and white, no mistaking it. Apparently its a bad lemming year and they all flew south to find food. They like dunes because it similar to the tundra in appearance.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by icecreamjay View Post
    I see a lot of "standard" New England wildlife like deer, turkeys, squirrels, snakes, etc, but this winter while fatbiking the Cape Cod National Seashore we saw a Snowy Owl. It was huge and white, no mistaking it. Apparently its a bad lemming year and they all flew south to find food. They like dunes because it similar to the tundra in appearance.
    Yeah they came way south this year, we had them along the NJ coast also. Friends that live there got some great shots of them in the dunes in Island Beach State Park.

Some great reads.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by David R View Post
    I love seeing a bit of wildlife while riding, but this thread makes me glad to be in NZ where you can crash through the forest without worrying about being bit or eaten. You can keep the snakes, bears etc etc thanks!
    Yeah I love living here, the worst you have to worry about is a couple of sheep, some cows and a heap of rocks. Maybe the nasty magpies and the odd sandfly or wasp.

I Ride for Donuts
    Daily ritual:

animal encounters-g0016570.jpg
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

addicted to chunk
    The usual deer, turkey, critters....
    Mountain lion in southern Indiana ran across the trail in front of me.
    Few weeks back there was a moose right beside the trail, it was not concerned with me at all.

Also accidentally ran over a copperhead last year, also interesting and a bit scary.
    Riding.....

mtbr member
    I've also seen two bobcats while mountain biking. One at the end of a trail from about 50 feet away, I stopped, he just calmly walked away.

The other i was bombing down a logging road, through a clearcut, and it came out of the clear cut, and just kind of merged in front of me. At fist I was awe struck, then realized I was gaining on him fast. I had a vision of him jumping in the air, twisting around, and latching on my face! So, I slowed down and let him go.

Awesome to see one in the wild though!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    All on pavement, during in-town rides in a city of almost 900,000 people:

Yesterday I saw a dead snake (about 3 ft long) stretched out perpendicular to the curb. My husband rode right by about two inches from the head and never saw it. I didn't go back to look.

Last summer in a different part of town I saw a similar sized dead snake (non native) that looked to me like some type of constrictor that likely either got loose or was turned loose.

In my neighborhood along a little green belt with a creek, someone pointed out a snake ~ 2 feet long -- hanging out on a branch -- it most definitely was not a native species; again appeared to be some type of constrictor.
    Weird to see more snakes on the pavement than out on the trail and species that are not indigenous to central Texas.

Saw a large and very creepy raccoon a few weeks ago on a trail; it didn't appear inclined to run off so I just turned around and went back the way I came.
    There is a maze of trails in this area, so many ways to get around him or her.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ser jameson View Post
    I've also seen two bobcats while mountain biking. One at the end of a trail from about 50 feet away, I stopped, he just calmly walked away.

The other i was bombing down a logging road, through a clearcut, and it came out of the clear cut, and just kind of merged in front of me. At fist I was awe struck, then realized I was gaining on him fast. I had a vision of him jumping in the air, twisting around, and latching on my face! So, I slowed down and let him go.

Awesome to see one in the wild though!!
    It is! but this one will probably cause me to OTB - talk about breaking! I run into coyotes all the time but those guys scare away as they see you coming down the hill.

I guess this is one of many reasons why we love MTB ... Nature!
    2013 Cannondale Trail SL 3

"You will never ride alone"

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/789348.../in/photolist- Here you go. The dogs attacked the panniers which is the same place wolfs take down a dear. I usually chase two dogs back onto the property but 5 needed to be handled more carefully. I threatened the 911 operator and the department of transportation and the local newspaper but none of them replied.
    "Dish is illogical." Spoke of Vulcan.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast