Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Angry Hiker!

mtbr member

Angry Hiker!

Check this out...this guy has a little angst and unfortunately some well worded arguements against Mounain Bikers.

Well worded...but I think he's off base factually!

This just proves the point that we ALL need to err on the supreme diplomacy when it comes to trail advocacy and ettiquette!

Angry Hiker?
    Phillipians 2:3-8 "...but (Christ) made himself nothing, taking the form of a servant..."

Perpetually single track
    It's by Mike Vandeman....I think quite a few here already know how skewed this guy's perspective is.
    The more out of shape you are, the steeper the hill looks.

Probably drunk right now

Mikey V. Trolling Again...

Quote Originally Posted by bikeCOLORADO
    Check this out...this guy has a little angst and unfortunately some well worded arguements against Mounain Bikers.

This just proves the point that we ALL need to err on the supreme diplomacy when it comes to trail advocacy and ettiquette!

Angry Hiker?
    Do a google search on Mike V. He's a peach. The "information" presented in the post you listed is simply rehashing stances Mike has taken over the past 10 years. Nothing new, nothing interesting. Same old stuff.

Organization with whom he was associated have kept him at arms length simply because he isn't exactly stable.

Ken

mtbr member
    ..and I thought I was a savvy Advocate...I've never heard of him before.
    Phillipians 2:3-8 "...but (Christ) made himself nothing, taking the form of a servant..."

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Don't even mention that name!!

Angry Hiker?

I cringe every time I see anything from that Eco-Terrorist. If it has his name on it.....skip it. You'll be much happier.
    Last edited by WarrGuru; 03-26-2004 at 01:40 PM. Reason: typo

mtbr member

Wtf!!!!!

Hey CC, thanks for posting this she-itt, but I think you got it wrong when you say this guy has some good stuff against mountain bikers. Nearly all his arguements could be used against hikers as well! Maybe we should never move at all, for fear of stepping on some small insect. This crap is from one messed up individual, but all it takes is one freak in a position of power to really screw it up for us! We transport invasive species and fungi? Can't shoes do the same thing, hooves too for that matter? Trail maintenance is uneccessary without bikes, what? Without any travel, trails will revert back to an undisturbed state. How about clearing fallen logs? Is that considered trail maintenace. When is the last time you knocked down a tree with your mountain bike, rendering the trail impassable? Why do mountain bikers get picked on so much? There are so many other horrible, dire issues to spend energy on fighting than people enjoying nature on a bike! I could go on and on, but I have better things to do, like kill countless animals and transport some fungi. -t

Probably drunk right now

Another bike love site....

..and I thought I was a savvy Advocate...I've never heard of him before.
    This is a great site too:

http://www.wheeled-locusts.org/

More reading for you. Check out this interesting and humorous bit of "science":

http://www.safetrails.net/bkr_psych.asp

Enjoy.

Ken

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by toad
    Hey CC, thanks for posting this she-itt, but I think you got it wrong when you say this guy has some good stuff against mountain bikers. -t
    No, no...I said it's WELL WORDED, but off base in fact! I'm sure plenty of other Redsock hikers listen to his tripe like it's the gospel.

Probably drunk right now

He's not really worth that much energy...

Quote Originally Posted by toad
    Hey CC, thanks for posting this she-itt, but I think you got it wrong when you say this guy has some good stuff against mountain bikers. Nearly all his arguements could be used against hikers as well! Maybe we should never move at all, for fear of stepping on some small insect. This crap is from one messed up individual, but all it takes is one freak in a position of power to really screw it up for us! We transport invasive species and fungi? Can't shoes do the same thing, hooves too for that matter? Trail maintenance is uneccessary without bikes, what? Without any travel, trails will revert back to an undisturbed state. How about clearing fallen logs? Is that considered trail maintenace. When is the last time you knocked down a tree with your mountain bike, rendering the trail impassable? Why do mountain bikers get picked on so much? There are so many other horrible, dire issues to spend energy on fighting than people enjoying nature on a bike! I could go on and on, but I have better things to do, like kill countless animals and transport some fungi. -t
    Why argue with the irrational? You will never change their minds. Mikey's really not really worth getting worked up over.

Ken

Ont-Trail-Rider

lol

That read was a good wast of web resources...

Glad the club I ride is basically only MTB. Never seen a hiker, horse, etc. Not that I would mind, but we don't have those types of problems.
    Cheers!

Probably drunk right now

Sigh....

No, no...I said it's WELL WORDED, but off base in fact! I'm sure plenty of other Redsock hikers listen to his tripe like it's the gospel.
    I don't agree with labeling hikers or any other trail user group. All this does is cause hurt feelings and creates conflicts that make it difficult for mountain bike advocates.

All trail users have a right to the trails. It doesn't matter if they're equestrians, hiking or biking. Making fun of another user group won't help foster good feelings toward mountain bikers.

Ken

Ont-Trail-Rider

respect

I agree, we all do have the right to trail access. I think people who post such remarks against groups just enjoy creating conflict with others. Unless you or your group can get land that if private for one purpose, everyone is just going to have to get along and "respect" other trail users.

respect for all is the key to a win, win for everyone!
    Cheers!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    While this guy is an extremist, and off base from reality, many of these guys have footholds in the organizations that decide on BLM and state owned land use. Let's not forget to join in the cause of getting MTB included in the land management lpan in your area.

www.imba.com
    www.bikesbelong.com

or your local group or club. Don't let Mike (or other mis-informed folks) be the only voice heard when land management issues come up.

{Stepping off my soapbox}

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    dup post

Lay off the Levers
    Quote Originally Posted by ibmkidIII
    It's by Mike Vandeman....I think quite a few here already know how skewed this guy's perspective is.
    Mike Vandeman????

Oh for Cryin' out loud he's been an Anti-MTB Zealot since, well forever!I remember waaaay back, ('95 and probably even earlier) before mtb forums, when the online mtb community used to post to a mail-list type bulletin board, he'd send in the most absurd self indulgent LENGTHY tripe and then argue endlessly with anyone foolish enough to rise to the bait. I would have thought someone might had bumped him off by now...He certainly received his share of threats. He's pretty much dedicated his life to keeping the general public, and especially MTB'ers out of the woods. For him and his ilk, most of mankind is an affront to nature, incapabile of appreciating it and should never get any closer to the wild than the pictures they bring home to print in their natural society magazines. Basically if you're not one of them...stay the feck out!

Being intellegint and well spoken does not automatically mean you're right. Just ask an attorney.

What a incredible PITA!
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

The Riddler

Maybe I am already pissed...

but that guy is ignorant, dumb, and just plain f-ed up its disturbing. My sense of humor at the moment won't extend to anyone who has inherent opinions which are inherently false. What a mofo. Mountain bikers are lazy??? Tell that to the downhillers who don't even pedal uphill for the most part. How many hours do they spend perfecting lines, how many days do freeriders spend constructing implements to huck off, and of course, how many god damn mother loving hours to racers haul themselves around, probably sore and tired. Lazy???? My HR sitting right here is probably 180, oh man am I pissed. He probably agrees with the arson activity against Vail a few years back. What a messed up dude.

Perpetually single track
    Deep breath bro. Deep Breath. This guy ain't worth having a heart attack over.

No relation

Where can I get me some Monoamine Oxidase?

Quote Originally Posted by Ken in KC
    More reading for you. Check out this interesting and humorous bit of "science":

http://www.safetrails.net/bkr_psych.asp

Enjoy.

Ken
    I'm sure it's cheaper than what I spend on bikes.
    Don't you ever, don't you ever, stop being dandy showing me you're handsome.

The Gnarchitect Sketch.
    Wow... what a moron.

"(But if mountain biking is the high point of your week, as it seems
    to be for many mountain bikers, you must be leading a pretty dull life, off of
    the bike!)"

I imagine his life is a non-stop party.

Though I know this guy doesn't adhere to logic, I can't resist deflating some of this argument.

A) I mountain bike for thrills and for cardio (amongst many other reasons). I backpack when I want to do long distance traveling. My loaded expedition pack weighs more than twice what my bike does and that doesn't count the added weight of my heavy boots, ice axe or trekking poles. I think people who refuse to get their heart rates up are lazy : )

B) Trails are already impacted areas. Not to say we shouldn't do everything in our power to keep them in top shape, but we certainly don't need plants growing on them or animals on them. That habituates the animals to human exposure and as for plants... The whole point of having trails is to minimize impact in other areas. Tough luck for plants that try to grow on the trail - trails save the lives of thousands of other plants.

C) I can think of many other things that rip up a trail worse than a mountain bike. Why isn't this guy *****ing about horsepackers whose horses dump in the middle of the trail, or ATVers who tear the living **** out of everything?

Rolling
    LOL! thanks for posting that. I love reading his stuff!!! It's like standing in the grocery line and reading the tabs while you wait. Sick but fun.

ciao,

The Riddler

Ok deep breath...Im...all..right...

Yeah I am okay, just a little pedal issue, and after reading that, things got messy. Mountain bikes really challenge the belief "never take crap from inanimate objects." I read it again after venting a little on my punching bag, and actually laughed really hard. I think if my hill intervals I just did could laugh, they would too. Lazy? HahahahahahahahahahhahahahahhahahahaHahahahahahaha hahahhahahahahhahahahaHahahahahahahahahahhahahahah hahahahaHahahahahahahahahahhahahahahhahahahaHahaha hahahahahahahhahahahahhahahahaHahahahahahahahahahh ahahahahhahahahaHahahahahahahahahahhahahahahhahaha ha!!!!!!!

suck it trebeK
    I've never head of this guy either... if he's such an enviromental freak, why the hell would he pick on mountain bikers? I can't think of anything worse for him to waste time and spew BS about. Why not put some of that energy toward cars, pollution, corporations, blah blah blah...

What's the biggest harm a mountain bike does? Trample a few plants? I think this guy has a personal vendetta against bikers, perhaps because of some experience he had before in his life and now he's bitter.

Ride what you want!!
    MV pretty much killed one of the mtb newsgroups... can't remeber if it was rec.bicycles.off-road or alt.mountainbike, but the newsgroup decided to go moderated because of him. I left shortly after since the traffic pretty much dried up after that.

MV was post new rants almost every day and people would fall for it resulting in length flamwars.

george
    Trogs: Too Tough for Carbon Fiber

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

How dumb!

Some people sure have an odd perspective on things. It seems they are trying to say that bikes should only belong on roads...hmmm, Now roads arent hurting the environment are they? Oh well, They say if you argue with an idiot its hard to tell who is who. I guess I need to go out and "exercise the demons of my puberty".

I am lost, I'm no guide
    Quote Originally Posted by rokklym
    Some people sure have an odd perspective on things. It seems they are trying to say that bikes should only belong on roads...hmmm, Now roads arent hurting the environment are they? Oh well, They say if you argue with an idiot its hard to tell who is who. I guess I need to go out and "exercise the demons of my puberty".
    The more i read the article, the more it got my blood boiling...Frankly, for a PhD he doesn't make very many valid arguments if at all? If anything, he made me want to go out, poach a trail, and run over a damn banana slug tomarrow.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast