Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Altimeter Computer?

537 views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  derby 
#1 ·
I need a good Altimeter computer on my Enduro Pro? I'm thinking of the Vetta alt. computer for $150.

Any suggestions?

#2 ·
I have one...

Marcus75 said:
I need a good Altimeter computer on my Enduro Pro? I'm thinking of the Vetta alt. computer for $150.

Any suggestions?
I have a vetta altimeter computer. It works well, though it works off relative barometric pressure. That means you have to set it before every ride (and you have to know your elevation when you set it). It seems relatively accurate. I tend to not use it any more, though it is kind of neat to know how much elevation you gain during a ride. 5 foot increments.

John

#3 ·
I've got

The Ciclosport 436m computer. It works off of barometric pressure as well. The 436M can download your ride info onto your computer, and you can create databases, and it graphs out your rides. There is the 434 as well, but it doesn't have the downloadable stuff with it. I've been very happy with mine so far, and I've been using it for a year.

#4 ·
Marcus75 said:

Any suggestions?
My '04 Specialized Turbo Pro works great. ($99.)

I also looked at a Cateye (about $125, I think). The Cateye had a cumulative altitude gain (one that gains from ride to ride, like an odometer), which the Specialized does not, but the Specialized was wireless (up front) and had a cadence feature (which required a wire!).

#5 ·
Take a look at the VDO MC 1.0 -- really won me over in comparison to the Vetta and the Cyclosport. The price was a bit difficult to choke down, though. Here's a short couple of write-ups I did on mine:

https://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=47573

It's even nicer now that they've revised the display to increase the size of the temp and % grade readouts.

#6 ·
Barkdog said:
My '04 Specialized Turbo Pro works great. ($99.)

I also looked at a Cateye (about $125, I think). The Cateye had a cumulative altitude gain (one that gains from ride to ride, like an odometer), which the Specialized does not, but the Specialized was wireless (up front) and had a cadence feature (which required a wire!).
I have a Turbo Pro as well. My first one didn't work at all, but Specialized hooked me up with a warranty replacement and the replacement is surprisingly accurate (as long as you set the correct altitude before riding). A nice computer, although I prefer the feel of the Cateye I replaced.

#7 ·
Avocet watch w/ altimeter

Marcus75 said:

Any suggestions?
I've been very happy with my Avocet altimeter watch for many years. Good service through dealer recommended service company. Very accurate. I like the watch also to use when skiing for accumulated vertical, and driving too to see what altitude I'm at any time. When flying you can see how low the cabin pressure is too.

- ray

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.