Muskoka

Allegrippis Passion [o]

Allegrippis Trails is one of the top ranked XC trail systems in North America, with over 30 miles of single track designed by IMBA specifically for mtbiking and built by the US Army Corp of Engineers. These rolling and swooping trails are in the Allegheny Mountains around Raystown Lake Recreational Area, and there are great camp grounds right close by the trail heads. A 5:15am start from Muskoka in central Ontario got me to Raystown Lake PA and set up in Seven Points at Ridge Camp by 2:30pm. I lost a half hour as border security searched my vehicle & camper, confiscating my contraband of 3 oranges, 1 green pepper, and 1 tomato!
    I set up camp and headed over to the Dark Hollow trail head, which was just up and around the corner from me...

Rode Dark Hollow> Shade> Dirt Surfer> Barrel Bay, and back up Dark Hollow. I passed on Allegheny Trail because I didn't have much left in the tank after being on the road for over 9 hrs, then riding these hills on the grand total of a bowl of oatmeal, 1 hb egg, 2 bananas, 1 apple, and half a peanut butter/cheese/honey sandwich all day. Headed back to camp to chill & crash...

The morning was fogged in, and so was I! Finally got it together and hit the trails around 11am, just as the fog was lifting to reveal blue skies and puffy clouds. Daytime temps were ~85F entire time I was here. Rode Buck> Doe> Osprey> Hydro Loop CW> Eagle> back to the trail head via Doe & Buck. Buckwallow meets Buck...

Met and chatted with this lucky dude who lives 5 minutes from the trails. He also showed me how it should be done...

I called it a ride, since my friend Evan was on his way out from Philly. Evan is less than half my age, so I really needed to save some legs for the morrow. Explored the Raystown Lake area for the rest of the afternoon...

Meanwhile Evan had arrived, pitched his tent, and pulled out a great dinner of grilled pork loin/veggie shish kabobs plus couscous from his cooler...awesome! We were on the trails by 9 am next morning, riding Buck> Allie> Grippis> Ridge> Ray's Revenge> Sidewinder> Osprey> Hydro Loop CCW> Osprey> Doe> Buck...

Here's a crazy pic Evan made with his Samsung Note 3...

By late afternoon Evan left to return to Philly, leaving me to relax for the evening and dream about coming back!
    Next morning I was on the road by 5:30, back home in Muskoka just past 2pm. Awesome trip!!!

mtbr member
    Sounds like a great trip. Raystown is really fun place to ride. Ear to ear smiles all day long.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    I live in Florida loving looking at all the different trails out there. I have been to Georgia several times in the past six months. Georgia is just a different type of riding and the views are amazing. I am going back up for Thanksgiving and I get butterflies in my stomach every time I think about it. Love the passion.
    Lefty For LIFE!!!!!

mtbr member
    Great write up. I, too, love riding Raystown. Its about 4 hours from my north Jersey home. I went to college about 1 hour west and like to mix in some Allegrippis ridding when I go to alumni weekend in July.

mtbr member
    Very cool post and pics. I live about 30 minutes west of Baltimore and it's 2 hours and 45 minutes from my driveway to the trailhead parking lot. Since I discovered these trails two seasons ago I've been up there about 10 times. Planning one more day trip the last weekend of Sept. My wife says I'm crazy to drive almost six hrs round trip for 5 hours of riding but she's not a mt biker so she just doesn't understand!
    Life is like riding a bicycle - in order to keep your balance, you must keep moving. ~Albert Einstein

Muskoka
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Bye View Post
    Very cool post and pics. I live about 30 minutes west of Baltimore and it's 2 hours and 45 minutes from my driveway to the trailhead parking lot. Since I discovered these trails two seasons ago I've been up there about 10 times. Planning one more day trip the last weekend of Sept. My wife says I'm crazy to drive almost six hrs round trip for 5 hours of riding but she's not a mt biker so she just doesn't understand!
    Wish I was that close! We have great riding here at home too, but even at 8+ hrs away I think Allegrippis is worth at least a couple of visits a year for me.
    And I also want to mention the wonderful family camped across the lane from me while I was there. They live about 1.5 hrs from Raystown Lake and camp here often to mostly boat, fish, swim,and hike. Mom and dad early 40's, 3 boys from pre-teen to early teens, and 2 older teenage daughters. Mom looked like she was just out of college herself, you would never think she has had 5 kids! All were very engaged and engaging...so nice to see at a time when youth are mostly walking about like zombies looking at their smart phones. In the evening they brought over firewood for Evan and I, and even lit the fire for us!! Then they made for each of us something called a "Mountain Pizza Pie", which is essentially 2 pieces of bread with pizza sauce and whatever toppings grilled over the fire in something similar to a clam shell waffle iron. The evening before I left, the dad brought me a loaf of home made zucchini bread, which was just DELISH!!... and I consumed big chunks of it on my drive home.
    A big thank you to them, American hospitality and generosity at it's finest!!

mtbr member
    I was out there about a year ago. Fast, flowy, and generally fun trail. Really enjoyed your pics.

Shot this video of my ride:

Check out my You Tube Channel

Muskoka
    Quote Originally Posted by B-Mac View Post
    I was out there about a year ago. Fast, flowy, and generally fun trail. Really enjoyed your pics.

Shot this video of my ride:
    Osprey was probably my favourite downhill run. I also loved Hydro Loop but think I prefer it CCW. It was videos like yours on YouTube that finally convinced me to do this trip to Allegrippis. Now I am already looking forward to coming back!

CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007
    Smooth and flowy, quite a contrast to the home trails we normally see on your posts. Good to mix it up.

That camper looks cool.

Muskoka
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigCreekRider View Post
    Smooth and flowy, quite a contrast to the home trails we normally see on your posts. Good to mix it up.

That camper looks cool.
    Yep...we have great trails here but very different, probably more like Ellicottville NY or Kingdom trails VT but without the elevation. And yep... the camper is awesome! 8-)