Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

All these family posts... Let me introduce you

18K views 61 replies 39 participants last post by  jan_nikolajsen 
#1 ·
To my kids. Jordan first, since he's the oldest:

This is how we would travel around town:

It was fast and efficient. He actually rode singletrack on that alleycat before he rode it on his own. He even did a multi-day White Rim trip on it when he was 4.

His first time on singletrack (Primecut in Fruita):

Jordan's first trip to Moab. He's about 5 in this shot:

Then at about 9 or 10 years old (JEM trail area near Hurricane,UT):

Yep, he likes the techy stuff (12 years old):

Second ride on a rigid singlespeed:

Lovin' that singlespeed.

Coaching little sister down a tricky spot:

I told you he liked the road bike, too:

Riding up the Susten Pass in Switzerland.

And struggling up the Gotthard Pass the next day:

Our last ride together in '07 (it was either Dec. 30 or 31);

Our first ride together in '08 (Slickrock on New Year's Day):

The morning of our big race:

He and I rode our singlespeeds in the 24 Hours of the Old Pueblo, me on my Edge and him on my old Surly. Both rigid and both hating it and loving it at the same time. He now wants to do some more races this summer, in the same duo 24 Hour theme. I've created a monster!

See less See more
#3 ·
And not to be outdone...

Danielle, my little superstar:

Wishing and waiting and wearing brother's stuff:

I think she was about 4 in this shot. It was an early Trail-A-bike ride for her. We got better as she became more comfortable:

This was one of the last rides with the Trail-A-Bike before she started on her own:

Her other passion:

6 years old, both of these were taken on the same ride:

Prime Cut on her 7th birthday:

Riding with Dad:

Chasing down her brother (she's seven in this shot, and needs a new bike!):

Last ride on the old bike:

One of the first rides on the new bike (8, almost 9 years old):

Riding buds:

Chasing down the adults shortly after turning 9:

Riding WinterPark:

Yep, she's still a girl and still has the other passion:

Just this past October:

Gould Rim in Hurricane Utah:

Little Creek, outside of Hurricane, Utah:

Westwater Mesa on the Colorado/Utah Border:

Danielle is now 10 (who remembers the baby pool trying to guess when she would be born?). 10 miles on singletrack is not a far push for her and she loves riding the road as well.

#7 ·
bigkeith said:
although it has been your post in the past that inspired me to get all my children out, way back when i first joined this forum.
I'm glad someone was looking at my kid posts! I feel pretty damn lucky that they both love bicycles!

Trailside snacks:

#10 ·
Awesome!

My 12 year old daughter isn't into riding unless it's to hang with me which is cool. She's a dancer, though.

My 3 year old son is another story, however. He wants to ride all the time. He'll be 4 in May and we'll be riding a trail a bike together by then. Can't wait!

#13 ·
lidarman said:
That is awesome Sarah. They have really grown. You should be really proud....and super excited they decided that MTB is cool and not rebel cuz mom and dad does it.
I see mountainbiking as a bit like skiing. You don't hear of many kids that complain because their parents made them go skiing on family vacations. However, I do understand that not many of those same kids ever get passionate enough to want to suffer in the snow and cold just to ride for 12 hours in a 24 hour race.

lidarman said:
We will be heading your way mid April. See ya soon.
Drop me a line, maybe J and I can sneak a ride in with you guys.

#23 ·
Great post. Brought a tear to my eye. I have a 4yr old boy who has been riding since about 3 1/2. Just got him on the local trails recently. I can't wait to watch him teach his new little brother how to ride. What better way to develop a strong relationship between siblings.

#25 ·
wooglin said:
I'm just not taking pictures of him. Guess I need to do something about that.
Yes, you do! Looking through all the photos (and there are so many!) is a fun way to chart growth and progress.

I think of this (Danielle's first bike related pic):

And then this (one of her most recent):

And it amazes me. But then you throw in this:

And you remember that it's a long road, or should I say trail, between the two, albeit a fun and twisty turny adventurous trail!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.