Results 1 to 46 of 46
  1. #1
    fc
    fc is online now
    mtbr founder Administrator
    Reputation: fc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    23,280

    All bad things must come to an end

    On June 17, I fell off a log and broke my hand and my face. On August 17, I went for my first group mtb ride. It was a good day.

    I normally ride several times a week so I could not imagine not riding for an extended period of time. But when I got hurt, it goes back to basics. Riding was the last thing on my mind for several weeks as I longed for staying awake, eating and walking around normally. I relied a lot on the help and goodwill of others as I focused on healing.

    I got great motivation with each day getting better than the previous day. Well it's all good now. Bring on the rides. Bring on the beer. Bring on the big wheels.

    francois

    before
    <img src="http://mtbr.com/author/photos/accident/pics%20003.jpg">

    more pics here:http://scottmosher.exposuremanager.com/g/sg817

    after:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    IPA will save America

  2. #2
    Recovering couch patato
    Reputation: Cloxxki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    14,019
    Glad to have you back hunting the trails Francis!

  3. #3
    R I D E S T E E L
    Reputation: one1spede's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    646
    congrats on your recovery. glad you're back in action.

  4. #4
    Just another FOCer
    Reputation: Winston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,376
    Congratulations and welcome back.
    "I hope your gravity droppers all seize up....BASTIDS." - Aquaholic

    NLZ
    The Path Bike Shop
    Winston presents - Socal Videos

  5. #5
    Reviewer/Tester
    Reputation: Rainman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    6,191

    Good job!

    I knew you could do it ...


    Enjoy those rides, mate.


    R.

  6. #6
    And He was Not
    Reputation: Enoch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    1,622
    Ya Whoooo, Ride on Dude
    The Truth is out there. Here it isThe TRUTH

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: hammerheadbikes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,781
    awesome news man..
    glad to hear!

  8. #8
    ol'guy who says hi &waves
    Reputation: fred-da-trog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    2,448
    Welcome back. Let's ride soon while I keep up with you.
    .

    I may not have the best of everything, but I have the best everything that matters.

  9. #9
    fc
    fc is online now
    mtbr founder Administrator
    Reputation: fc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    23,280
    Quote Originally Posted by fred-da-trog
    Welcome back. Let's ride soon while I keep up with you.
    Right on man. Thanks for getting the rescue personnel. Everyone keeps talking about how you rode like the wind to get me an ambulance. Mucho thanks!

    francois
    IPA will save America

  10. #10
    Mashers Only!!
    Reputation: HUGH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    578
    Hey man glad to see you doing so well!
    I'll be out in your hood in a month or so!! Oh and I'm gonna BRING IT!!! My bike that is... The GF is going to meet some friends for the weekend. I'm just required to attend the dinners. So Its ride by day and dinner at night for three days. I'll give you Nor Callers a two week heads up.

    HUGH

  11. #11
    Cassoulet forever !
    Reputation: 20.100 FR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,238
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloxxki
    Glad to have you back hunting the trails Francis!
    It's not Francis, it's Francois, like in French "François".

    1 1, score even

    Good luck François ! Things like this make me think of wearing a full face helmet.
    Frenchspeaking 29"ers community site http://VingtNeuf.org

  12. #12
    ol'guy who says hi &waves
    Reputation: fred-da-trog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    2,448
    Quote Originally Posted by francois
    Right on man. Thanks for getting the rescue personnel. Everyone keeps talking about how you rode like the wind to get me an ambulance. Mucho thanks!

    francois
    I'm just glad you're back. Everyone knows 29er's add 10% to your mph, right?
    .

    I may not have the best of everything, but I have the best everything that matters.

  13. #13
    jrm
    jrm is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jrm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,595

    Great to hear that man..

    and with all that rest you should be faster...oh shlt

  14. #14
    fc
    fc is online now
    mtbr founder Administrator
    Reputation: fc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    23,280
    Quote Originally Posted by HUGH
    Hey man glad to see you doing so well!
    I'll be out in your hood in a month or so!! Oh and I'm gonna BRING IT!!! My bike that is... The GF is going to meet some friends for the weekend. I'm just required to attend the dinners. So Its ride by day and dinner at night for three days. I'll give you Nor Callers a two week heads up.

    HUGH
    Bring it bebe. I'll give you the grand tour. I'll put on my socal gearing 32-24 to get ready!!

    francois
    IPA will save America

  15. #15
    34N 118W
    Reputation: Hollywood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2,265
    Quote Originally Posted by francois
    I'll put on my socal gearing 32-24 to get ready!!
    now I know you're OK!

    careful with the smack - Hugh will have you wishing for a hospital bed and some jello.

    good to see you back,
    HW

  16. #16
    Cut Casing Whisperer
    Reputation: Mr.P's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    5,329
    Congrats on the recovery and maiden ride.

    I'm looking forward to the same (broken arm, little toe, and possible rib) weeeee.

    But watch out for those 29er, rigid, SS, rides. They are bound to get you addicted again.

    "Tastes just like it smells.... Delicious!!!!"
    - Tyrone Biggums

    P

  17. #17
    fc
    fc is online now
    mtbr founder Administrator
    Reputation: fc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    23,280
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.P
    Congrats on the recovery and maiden ride.

    I'm looking forward to the same (broken arm, little toe, and possible rib) weeeee.

    But watch out for those 29er, rigid, SS, rides. They are bound to get you addicted again.

    "Tastes just like it smells.... Delicious!!!!"
    - Tyrone Biggums

    P
    Oh man, What the heck happened? Details! Sounds like an full-contact incident.

    Before my mtb ride, I rode on the roadie for a week. I like it so much that I kept saying, 'man, I'm going to be a roadie for a while'. Then halfway through the first SS/Niner mtb ride, I was hooked again.

    francois
    IPA will save America

  18. #18
    fc
    fc is online now
    mtbr founder Administrator
    Reputation: fc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    23,280
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood
    now I know you're OK!

    careful with the smack - Hugh will have you wishing for a hospital bed and some jello.

    good to see you back,
    HW
    Talk to da hand.

    Hey you going to inter bike. I need someone to videotape the booth girls.

    francois
    IPA will save America

  19. #19
    rr
    rr is offline
    I don't do PC
    Reputation: rr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    7,401
    Hey francois, congrats on the return to riding, I didn't post anything on the original thread cause so many folks were posting but it's good to see you healed and back riding.

    I had a nasty little run in with an underaged driver last summer and was very fortunate to come away with only a broken ankle and a few wounds, was off the bike for nearly 3 months. We had a very moderate winter here on the front range last year and I've had the best year of riding since that I can remember, so here's to a great late summer/fall season of riding for you. -Rick

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Jewell of D(enial)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    468
    Congrats on your recovery. I know how it feels to get back on the bike after a nasty accident. You look like you're still in great shape. Must feel wonderful! I'm glad you're OK. JOD
    Bicycles have no walls.
    -Paul Cornish

  21. #21
    Use this space for what?
    Reputation: Cozza's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    219
    Congrats on the recovery!

  22. #22
    Fat Is Where It's At Moderator
    Reputation: DiRt DeViL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    5,236
    Good to ssee that you're back on the saddle and sspecially on the ss.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    2,283
    Were you having fun before, was it an epic crash, cuz it almost looks like you have a little smile in the strecher.

  24. #24
    Silence! I kill you!
    Reputation: Jorgemonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    3,023
    Hey Francois-

    This has now been officially named "Francois's Log" I think you'll recognize it.

    Except for a possible fractured elbow (more likely just a really bad sprain) we all had a great ride!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    My photography website:
    Scott Mosher Photography

  25. #25
    Occupation: Human
    Reputation: mtbnewguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    252

    Glad to hear you are back man!

    Before each ride I often try to remind myself that there are a lot of things that can go wrong on a ride. But most of the time I forget so thanks for sobering a lot of us up.

    semper ad excelsum

  26. #26
    Currently in Exile
    Reputation: Frozenspokes's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    2,304
    Glad to see you back on the bike. I have a few more weeks before I am cleared to ride after breaking my collarbone July 1st. The waiting is killing me
    "There are those who would say there's something pathological about the need to ride, and they're probably on to something. I'd wager though that most of the society-approved compulsions leave deeper scars in the psyche than a need to go and ride a bicycle on a mountain." Cam McRea

  27. #27
    wg
    wg is offline
    Fermented Grain Sampler
    Reputation: wg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    4,060
    Welcome back. Good to see you back on two wheels and on the dirt.
    Have a beer or several in celebration!
    Don't harsh my mello

  28. #28
    Gone riding
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,369
    Great to hear you're back on the dirt Francois!

    It must be great to finally be back on the bike. Maybe it's a bit of closure for you too? Keep the rubber on that brown stuff next time hey!

    Happy trails, Dave.

  29. #29
    Staggering sober
    Reputation: TwoWheelinTim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    201

    back to basics

    I know what you mean. The first week off, all I could think about was how painful the walk to the bathroom was going to be. I actually lost weight even though I was pretty much glued to the couch. I'm back on after three weeks off. I'm still only commuting and taking it easy. I have some repairs to effect on both the road bike (the culprit in the crash) and one of the mountain bikes before I resume any serious riding.

    http://forums.mtbr.com/attachment.ph...7&d=1154840592
    "There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword, the other is by debt."
    -John Adams 1753-1826

  30. #30
    Humongous Member
    Reputation: ~TJ~'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    16
    Congrats Francois, great to be back on the bike!
    "If it ain't fun,,,Yer doin it wrong"!

  31. #31
    less is more
    Reputation: venus1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    823
    Wicked NO FEAR factor. Wear protection.
    Finesse is everything.

  32. #32
    Probably drunk right now
    Reputation: Ken in KC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,645

    Poser...

    Quote Originally Posted by francois
    On June 17, I fell off a log and broke my hand and my face. On August 17, I went for my first group mtb ride. It was a good day.

    I normally ride several times a week so I could not imagine not riding for an extended period of time. But when I got hurt, it goes back to basics. Riding was the last thing on my mind for several weeks as I longed for staying awake, eating and walking around normally. I relied a lot on the help and goodwill of others as I focused on healing.

    I got great motivation with each day getting better than the previous day. Well it's all good now. Bring on the rides. Bring on the beer. Bring on the big wheels.

    francois

    Welcome back. I'm glad to hear (see? know?) you're back in the saddle. You heading to Fruita this year? There's no logs on the trails there.....

    Ken

  33. #33
    I just got goth served!
    Reputation: silversurfer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    166

    From a Fellow Face Breaker...

    Glad you are healed up and back out there riding!

    brian
    insert witty comment here

  34. #34
    Mythical Creature
    Reputation: glenzx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    4,843
    Welcome back brother! Looks like you're hardly worse for the wear.... that smile is HUGE!

    follow me on Twitter!
    "It's better to regret something you HAVE done, than something you haven't..." -

  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation: merlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,223
    Glad to see your back on the bike! I would love to hook up with you again for a South Bay roadie ride, but the good news is we have no plans to visit the in laws any time soon After seeing your pic I realize i need to get back on my SS...
    Ride to eat, Eat to ride.

  36. #36
    fc
    fc is online now
    mtbr founder Administrator
    Reputation: fc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    23,280
    Quote Originally Posted by rroeder
    Hey francois, congrats on the return to riding, I didn't post anything on the original thread cause so many folks were posting but it's good to see you healed and back riding.

    I had a nasty little run in with an underaged driver last summer and was very fortunate to come away with only a broken ankle and a few wounds, was off the bike for nearly 3 months. We had a very moderate winter here on the front range last year and I've had the best year of riding since that I can remember, so here's to a great late summer/fall season of riding for you. -Rick
    Right on. Every day and every ride is a bonus now!

    regards,
    fc
    IPA will save America

  37. #37
    fc
    fc is online now
    mtbr founder Administrator
    Reputation: fc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    23,280
    Quote Originally Posted by jorgemonkey
    Hey Francois-

    This has now been officially named "Francois's Log" I think you'll recognize it.

    Except for a possible fractured elbow (more likely just a really bad sprain) we all had a great ride!
    I should etch my name on that. Nice photo. That's the knot that got me! My front tire danced with it then fell off the side.

    fc
    IPA will save America

  38. #38
    fc
    fc is online now
    mtbr founder Administrator
    Reputation: fc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    23,280
    Quote Originally Posted by Rover Nick
    Were you having fun before, was it an epic crash, cuz it almost looks like you have a little smile in the strecher.
    Of course I'm smiling. What would this world be without a smile!

    fc
    Attached Images Attached Images
    IPA will save America

  39. #39
    fc
    fc is online now
    mtbr founder Administrator
    Reputation: fc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    23,280
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken in KC
    Welcome back. I'm glad to hear (see? know?) you're back in the saddle. You heading to Fruita this year? There's no logs on the trails there.....

    Ken
    Fruita... I'm there if you're there!

    fc
    IPA will save America

  40. #40
    fc
    fc is online now
    mtbr founder Administrator
    Reputation: fc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    23,280
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoWheelinTim
    I know what you mean. The first week off, all I could think about was how painful the walk to the bathroom was going to be. I actually lost weight even though I was pretty much glued to the couch. I'm back on after three weeks off. I'm still only commuting and taking it easy. I have some repairs to effect on both the road bike (the culprit in the crash) and one of the mountain bikes before I resume any serious riding.

    http://forums.mtbr.com/attachment.ph...7&d=1154840592

    Nice knee. We need to start a new forum called 'Rider Down'.

    fc
    IPA will save America

  41. #41
    fc
    fc is online now
    mtbr founder Administrator
    Reputation: fc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    23,280
    Quote Originally Posted by silversurfer
    Glad you are healed up and back out there riding!

    brian

    Ha, ha, lurker. I remember your crash actually. I need that full-face helmet now.

    fc
    IPA will save America

  42. #42
    The former Blue 'Goose
    Reputation: aliensporebomb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    299
    Congrats on getting back to riding, Francois. I've been following the story since the
    day it happened and the many photos, videos of the helicopter ride among other
    things have transpired. It didn't take long - and that's cool. But I'm sure there have
    been untold hours of pain and suffering too so get out there and ride as much as
    you can. Maybe we should* have a rider down forum. Seems like this kind of
    thing happens more often in the mtb world.

  43. #43
    Keep The Rubber Side Down
    Reputation: Mellow Yellow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    1,686

    Good job! Awesome news!

    good to see you back on two wheels!
    Some of my happiest memories in life took place on my bicycles. - Me

  44. #44
    I Just Ride....
    Reputation: mtbbrian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    913

    Good job!

    Francios,
    You are incredibly inspiring!
    Glad to know you are back at it!
    If you have any inspiration to ride you can spare, send it my way!
    I haven't been on my bike at all this year!

    Brian
    Artistic Mountain Bike Photography
    My MTBR Gallery
    "I Ride my bike, to Ride my bike...."
    From a Zen proverb

  45. #45
    Fat Is Where It's At Moderator
    Reputation: DiRt DeViL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    5,236
    Quote Originally Posted by francois
    Fruita... I'm there if you're there!

    fc
    Send me details, I wanna go too.

    Ken, PM sent.

  46. #46
    pewpewpew Moderator
    Reputation: Impy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,132
    Yay francois!!
    Love, Impy

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •