mtbr member

Afternoon escape

It has been a long time since I posted ride story on this site. I wish it was because I have been busy biking, but the real reason is that I had an affair last summer and my long lasting relationship with biking was neglected. My friends lured me in to trying golf, and most of my spare time last summer I spent on the golf course. When winter finally came I had got so lazy that I could not even use my bike as a commuter.
    This spring I found my self lazy and getting fat, so in stead of visiting the golf course I tuned my bike and started riding again.
    After few weeks of training I find my heart rate going down a bit, and my strength is coming back. Unfortunately my diameter seems just the same.

Today there was one of those beautiful clear days with slight northern winds cooling you down. As a matter of fact the temperatures were quite low, 50F. In my office on the other hand the temperature hit 104F at three o’clock. I just had to get out. I biked home to change my clothes and gave the newest member of the family some earthworms and blueberries as afternoon snack. Yesterday my six year old son brought home a bird that had fallen out of his nest and broken a leg. We laid it in a box and have been feeding it since.

Our new faimily member

I hit the trails, climbing on narrow gravel roads until I came to the “singletracks” that led me down to a river I planned to cross.

Here in Iceland we have thousands and thousands of self employed trail builders that have been working on trail building for decades. The Icelandic sheep lives free in the mountains over summertime in my area, and they make endless tracks in the mountains. These are great for biking if you keep following facts in mind;
    The sheep does not think like a biker (although some bikers seem to think like sheep) so they don’t necessarily keep the trails continuous. From time to time they end in the middle of nowhere just to continue few feet to the right or left. So don’t ride to fast on tracks you don’t know well.
    The tracks can get very deep and narrow so you have to keep momentum to be able to coast trough short parts of the trails. If you try to pedal trough these narrow parts you end up catapulting you and your bike out of the trail, sometimes with devastating results.

The most vicious creatures in Icelandic nature

With this in mind I rode down the singletrack to the river. At the riverbank I found out that it was to deep for me to ride across it. Off the bike and in to the water. Surprisingly the water was not freezing cold as I am used to in the rivers around here. Out off the river and on to the single tracks again, climbing on to the highlands. The only sign of life were birds, panicking when approached and occasionally a sheep trying not to be in your way.

Crossing the river

I had been riding for an hour when I came to the turning point of my trip as I had planned it. When I left I told my wife that I would be away for an hour, so I was getting late. The tour home was on a singletrack high up on a ledge. These conditions did not allow any mistakes so I rode it slowly and carefully down to a nearby road and pedaled home only to find out that the little bird had died while I was away and my sons had already buried it nearby. I was glad that I had prepared them for this by telling them that it was uncertain that the bird would live.
    This two hour escape from a sizzling hot office was like a recharge to my batteries. I came home, tired but full of energy, and I believe that this is necessary for me to keep sane at work. I just cant wait for a new day with new trails, rivers and mountains to conquer.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Keiko; 06-10-2004 at 03:49 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

wow

Looks very nice. Makes me wish I had the money to make a trip out there

paintbucket
    Very nice. No danger of running into trees there, huh?
    When the going gets weird its bedtime.

Cyclist

Great post but I have a question

Assuming you rode alone:

Did you set up your camera for auto timer on the river crossing? That would mean you set it up, shot the photo while standing in ice cold water, returned to get your camera and then recrossed the river. ?

Brave soul for a photo.

Great post and I wish I could have been the one taking the photos for you.
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

My cycling photos. Enjoy!

mtbr member
    The camera has interval timer setting so I can make it take as many pictures as I want with preset interval. To get the picture of me in the river I had to take about 5 pictures and choose the best one.

mtbr member
    Well, if you get lost in Icelandic woods, all you have to do is get sober and stand up again

Samsonite Tester
    What is the chances that an American contruction worker can find work in Iceland without know the local language ?
    Yeah I gotta question. You got any excuses tonight Roy ? -Antonio Tarver

There is room for it all, just ride what you like to on what you like to...that's freeriding. -rbn14

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Evel Knievel
    What is the chances that an American contruction worker can find work in Iceland without know the local language ?
    At this time it should not be a problem if you are not worried about sallary . There are few quite big buildingprojects ongoing and it seems like we need a lot of workers on these. Impegrillio, Italian based company is building a huge powerplant in the eastern part of Iceland. other projects are mostly done by Icelandic construction firms but at the time beeing everybody is suffering from lack of workers. I could get you in touch with those if you like. The only thing I am not sure about is the paperwork is for Americans that want to work here but the constructors would know all about it.

Samsonite Tester
    Quote Originally Posted by Keiko
    At this time it should not be a problem if you are not worried about sallary . There are few quite big buildingprojects ongoing and it seems like we need a lot of workers on these. Impegrillio, Italian based company is building a huge powerplant in the eastern part of Iceland. other projects are mostly done by Icelandic construction firms but at the time beeing everybody is suffering from lack of workers. I could get you in touch with those if you like. The only thing I am not sure about is the paperwork is for Americans that want to work here but the constructors would know all about it.
    Thank you for the good report. I really want to immigrate from here.
    Yeah I gotta question. You got any excuses tonight Roy ? -Antonio Tarver

There is room for it all, just ride what you like to on what you like to...that's freeriding. -rbn14