mtbr member

Adventure with a Hall of Famer

Well Mugg, you made us all “Green” last week, so I felt compelled to make an attempt to return the favor. I also just so happen to have a few hours to kill as I sit here in the Boston Airport, so you all get to suffer through a little prose or you have to scroll a little more to get to the pictures.

Last Thursday, I caught wind of an epic ride about to take place. It was in a portion of New Mexico that I’ve been meaning to visit on my bike. After the ride I knew that I’d be kicking myself for quite a while for not having made it there sooner.

The ride was to take place near Jemez Springs and follow the rim of the Virgin Mesa. We had our own personal guide to lead us on an adventure. Tom Meyer has spent countless years mapping and “developing” trials in the National Recreational Area in the Jemez Mountains. I must use the term developing rather loosely because he’s managed to map out the cow and game trails that litter the forest and mesas. One look at his map and I new a guide was a must to explore the area. The density and diversity of trails was almost unbelievable.

Our plan for the day was a 25 mile loop that traversed the rim of the virgin mesa. The trails were extremely primitive. At times only a carefully placed stick marked the path. For the most part we just followed Tom’s tire tracks. Slight depressions in the decomposing pine needles indicated that in fact bikes have used this route in the past but the feel of simply riding on a whim through the woods permeated the ride.

We rode through a large variety of terrain, from boulder fields to conifer forest to high alpine meadows lined by aspen. Along the rim, the “trail” was always within a few feet of the cliff edge. In some places a small ledge would try to spit you out in the void. If you had the nerve, and enough skill, to make the 90 degree turn, you could test your fate.

What ride would be complete with out a little hike a bike. Well, we had two. I probably would not have even hiked through one of them, but we were on a bike ride and for some reason it felt natural to traverse a cliff face, passing our bikes in a fire brigade line as we scrabbled up the rock wall.

Keeping the sections of fire road interesting, we saw fresh Bear and Mountain Lion tracks; momma even had a little kitten with her as she had walked along the road earlier that morning.

On the return leg of the journey we passed through a portion of the Turkey Fire of 2002. What a devistating lunar landscape.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    b

mtbr member

the guide

IF the name Tom Meyer does not ring a bell and you can’t read his shirt, pull out your copy of DirtRag #1 and read the very first product review, it’s for an invention of Tom’s called the “Mountain Tamer Quad.” Don’t write any angry letters to DirtRag, they did not review a 4-wheeler. The mountain tamer is a 4 ring crankset. Tom rides one to this day. To see him climb the steeps, I can see why he made one.

Tom is also famous for having started the Iron Horse. But to me his greatest contribution to the sport is his guide “service”. Abundant Adventures

Check out his site, he leads group rides every other weekend. Free of charge. He tailors rides to the skill level of the people in the group. But conceder yourself warned if he offers to take you on an exploratory ride. You’ll be in for quite the trip.

During our ride some time after the hike a bike, I was riding next to Tom and he turned to me and said…”Now THIS is mountain biking.”

I couldn’t agree more.
    b

mtbr member

Did I mention we rode to lost Indian ruins???

This forgotten Peublo used to stand three stories tall.

Can you find Waldo in the pano shot???

I leave you with the crapy view.
    b

beer thief
    Really great shots Brian. The rock in that first one looks incredibly cool - a boulderer's delight maybe.

Nice way to finish my evening, thanks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Good job! Glad to hear it was Boston, not Austin

Awesome post and of course an awesome ride Brian. The pumice and pine needles sure did tighten up the thighs huh? We also rode Faulty & Oso the following day and I definately felt it on Monday.

Big miles at Cochiti on Sunday so hope you can make it....same with the Saturday ride - which is sort of a favor to the "new" group. Farewell to the mesa.

Also, I hope the Boston deal worked out to your liking. Don't know Mass riding, but Peter Pisgah sure helped me out last year for some epic (yes he did just use that word) RI riding. Hope you look him & his crew up if ya get there.

mtbr member

Great post Brian

Amazing pictures and write-up.

I like Squishy Bikes

Sweet

Cool pics.
    Very Nice...almost makes me want to pack up & move out WEST .
    A dirty book is rarely dusty

wg
    Fermented Grain Sampler
    Wonderful shots and cool write up.
    What kind of camera do you use?

Werner
    Don't harsh my mello

Reviewer/Tester
    Wonderful looking country for bikes.. great pics.. thank you.

R.

avg. joe

To say that you

had a great trip would probably be an understatement. Thanks for the pics and the write up.
    The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas.

Tool
    Yeah, that view must have really been crappy in person. I sure am glad I'm sitting here with a scenic view of the inside of a warehouse. Maybe they'll let me put together some obstacles using pallets? Ah, crap, you've made me start counting the hours till the weekend. Thanks for the pics.

My post is that way --->
    Jan 2004
    Wow. That looks and sounds stunning.
    Wibble

mtbr member

Great write up and Pictures.

Nm...............

mtbr member

Thanks Everyone.

Radair: those rocks are Private Land. And called Tent Rocks because of their odd shape. I'm sure there are some great legal places to climb in the area. The whole place is an old volcano. Hot springs and sulfur vents still in opperation.

Werner: I used a Canon S45, and shot in RAW mode.
    b

mtbr member

Awesome...

... simply awesome!
    Randy

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

That's what I'm talking about!

I am green with envy. Looks like a fabulous time was had by all.

Mucho thanks for the passion hit.

Portable curmudgeon

Too nice!

No wonder its called the Land of Enchantment. I've spent months in NM on and off for work but seldom had a bike - to think what I missed. Thanks for the excellent passion hit.

=Jason=
    Call me ~Gila~

lurker spaz

Sweet Pics and Sweet Ride

Great Shots as always!

Kinda bummed I didn't hear about that one. But I rode the SFe. Century on Sunday and probably wouldn't have been up for it.

If you would, send some info about those rides on over this way.

Hasta,
    Dr.F.

the cool nerd

Incredible

Excellent prose and pix (as usual) Brian

Following your posts, I joined the Adventures mailing list, and I can't wait to ride in the Jemez..

Good luck in Boston, better luck in NM!

scott