Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

(________) stopped me from riding today

41K views 549 replies 375 participants last post by  blockphi 
#1 ·
Simple thread idea. Start it with what stopped you, then an explanation.
I'll go first.

2 broken sprinklers

I usually have about 3 hours to get out and ride on Saturdays while the boy is down for his nap. Put him down and before I left I turned on the sprinklers for the first time this year. Big mistake. Did I really think nothing would have broken or frozen all winter? I knew if I didn't fix it then it would be too dark later and I wouldn't be able to fix them til next Saturday. So no ride for me yesterday. :(

#370 ·
45 years of cycling didn't protect me from every health problem. I had one, it required surgery, and I lost my entire summer of riding. Fortunately, what I had won't come back and kill me in a couple of years.

That was more time off the bike than when I broke my leg skating in a pool 33 years ago, when I was half my present age. Got back on the bike the other day and immediately tackled one of the longest steep hills around, just to see if I could still ride up it. I did, but a long way off my personal record.

#55 ·
I would have been, but my bike is littered all over the floor. I should have received a new frame this Saturday, but because some unlucky dude got hit by a train, the man who should have delivered my frame couldn't get on the train because it was canceled.

Never the less: It's driving me insane not to be able to ride! Actually not so much not riding, but not being able to..

#96 ·
Last Wednesday, a week ago today, it was haggling with the dealership for a new VW passat SE TDI, Thursday, it was driving down to buy the damn thing and sitting in the dealership signing my life away on financing a portion of it.

Friday was driving it 350 miles north to my nieces wedding.
Saturday was being at the wedding.
Sunday was driving 350 miles home.
Monday was a nooner.
Tuesday was getting crap in line for the Finance department for VW, faxing paperwork and documents, etc,

Today, I rode, and it felt glorious! :band::band:

#279 ·
Well, it didn't stop me from riding today, but it will stop me from riding tomorrow. I'm pretty sure I strained (hopefully that is all) my achilles tendon. I did this once before and ended up in a boot for 6 weeks. I am really hoping a day or two of taking it easy will be all I need. Worst part is, I was done with the 10 mile ride and came off the back of the bike doing a wheelie at somewhat high speed in the parking lot. :madman:

#327 ·
I woke up with a nasty pain in my gut yesterday morning that got worse as the day went. 90 degrees outside and I am shaking because I am so cold, certainly sounds like an infection. Head off to urgent care and get a diagnosis of infected prostate gland. That will stop me from riding for the next several days.

#365 ·
A cracked rib that I got for being considerate will keep me from riding for a while. Yesterday I moved to the side of the trail on a fast decent to let a faster rider pass because I didn't want to slow him down before a sudden climb. My front tire washed out and down I went, right into some trees.
I take the full blame for my mistake because I could have made him wait to pass in a better spot, but the thing that bothered me the most is, he saw the whole thing happen and the ****** bag went past and rode away without a word. Most riders around here will ask if you're ok if you're even just stopped along the trail. Some people...
The ridiculous part is, I was holding back a bit on that ride because I didn't want to mess myself up before my son gets married in a few days. It almost worked.

Reactions: car_nut
#372 ·
I've been playing a lot of soccer... a lot. My legs usually hurt and I'm too tired to do anything else in between games/practice. But today that's not my excuse. Today I took my son to his soccer practice. Don't underestimate how gratifying it can be watching your offspring do something they're good at and enjoy. I'll get back on the bike soon enough :)

#393 ·
Didn't get to ride for the past week and I don't mind a bit because my son got married to a wonderful woman this weekend, the weather was perfect, the reception really rocked, everyone had a great time and I'm *still* smilin'! :thumbsup:

#448 ·
Just went through the entire bike, all lubed and greased, no more noises, no more creeks. Had a few hours of free time, perfect day, leaves changing colors, mid-day no other riders. Gonna be one of the last shorts and t-shirts riding days until next summer, which in WI is 7-8 months from now :( , kind of a bummer.

Out enjoying this perfect day when I a call from wife, who says she made an appt. for our sick pug in 30 min., f my life. Drop everything to get him there, then drop a $100 for some pills for him, because I care.

Anyone want a pug?

A poem by jonshonda

#452 ·
That's the scariest "shocker" I've ever seen. Not too sure the lady's will like that one. (BTDT, doesn't look like ya chipped the bone though so be grateful for that. I got a cool "X" mark and bumped out knuckle where they reattached my tendon.)

Back on-topic...

Kid. She's refusing to ride in the baby trailer anymore since "Daddy go too fast, Mommy only" and of course, Mommy's @ work and no babysitter. :/

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.