Hip
    mtbr member

80+ miles in 2 days on a Electra Swing tandem cruiser...pics

This is a blog entry...sorry its long. Wanted to share. We rode from Forest Grove, NJ to Ocean City. NJ. 70 miles round trip with other short exploits.

I always wanted to ride to OC it just never happened. I went to the bike shop with Rick and Dennis to drop off Rick's bike(needed a quote on replacement...he got hit by a truck last week!)...to buy Dennis a Bike....and for me to get a rim trued. I got back around 1:30 and we were going to ride to Amy's parents to go swimming...20 mile round trip. Its always nice to get there and jump in the pool! I had bought a rack for my cruiser but it didnt fit over the fender. Amy says.."we could ride there". That shocked me that she said it. I said hmmmm its 95 out....ok. I grabbed two water bottles and sunblock and off we went.

The first leg of the journy would be to the Wawa at 40 and Wheat which leads to Rt557. We hit Wawa for a snack and I grabbed two cookie ice cream sandwiches. I ALWAYS look at calories and fat but didnt this time. We stood up front and both opened them and started laughing at how bid they were...until I cheacked the nutritional info. 490 calories...24 grams of fat!!!!!! Woa!!!! We ate them...LOL.

We got through the second leg and made it to the third...RT50. This was LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG. You cant appreciate how long RT50 is until you walk it or ride it. WOW!

We made it to tuckahoe bike shop and brought back the rack and got a quick shifting adjustmen. It was like 4:30 at this point. We left there and hit the general store for ice and ice tea and refilled our bottles. This was our second drink stop. Shortly after we made it to the last leg....the turn at the Triton tavern for OC.

That road was a lot longer than we expected. We made it to ALL Seasons Marina with horrible wind conditions around 6PM. We sat with my buddy Eric a bit then made our way to OC via the 34th street bridge. We cruised the streets watching everyone party for Nights in Venice. It was MOBBED!!!!!!! We were looking for somewhere to eat. We found a great little place between 7th and 8th on Asbury....Jay's Crab Shack...EXCELLENT crab quesadias!!!!!! When we got out of there about 8 it was chilly so we road to the boardwalk and got Amy a $10 tourist sweatshirt. We made our way back to All Seasons...hung out with Eric then went to his trailer in Marmora at midnight and spent the night there. Im glad he was around because we were goona sleep on the beach otherwise!

We woke up at 6:30AM and headed out the door. We made our way down Rt9 and hit Dino's diner for breakfast. By the way...we could ride to Florida if it wasnt for our asses being so sore!!!! That was the ISSUE on day 2. Our asses HURT something FIERCE!!!!!!!! We left the diner around 8 I believe. We had to stop and take a few breaks including one in Tuckahoe then one on the Corbin City town hall steps.

Our goal was to reach this on store on 50 for a cold drink. It was getting hot!! We FINALLY made it and took a 15 minute drink break. 50 yards down the road I tied Amy's sweatshirt around her seat for extra cushion. It didnt help much. I tell you it was HARD to stand up on the pedals our asses hurt so bad when we stood up but that was the only relief and we had a long way to go!

Our next goal was the Ice Cream place at Five Points in Milmay. It took a few more ass breaks but we finally made it at 10:40. They opened at 12. I wanted to cry. Then this nice kid...God Bless his soul!!!!!!!! Said...hey guys..I am here to make a cake but if you guys want something...Ill get it...SWEET!!!!!!!!! I got a large fat free custard with jimmies and Amy got a medium. They were melting fats and we were eating them faster. Problem with that is I have a lap band and cant eat fast. Jimmies got stuck...OUCH. A little spittin up...my HUGE ice cream melting down my arm...and I couldnt even enjoy it. I had a few licks and trashed it. We chilled there a WHILE. We left there asses hurting to the point where I was half tempted to walk. We rounded Forest Grove road and were on the home stretch. We followed and irrigation sprinkler from a field and got SOAKED to the bone. It felt SO GOOD....2 miles later we pulled into our driveway. So glad we did the OC trip but man...I cant do 80+ miles in 2 days on a tandem beach cruiser again...our asses will not allow it!!!!!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Cheezy Rider
    That's a mighty pretty cruiser, but I wouldn't want to do 80 miles on it. I did about 40 miles on one at Cape Cod last summer, that was a looooong day, especially since my wife was too tired to pedal for the last 10!

Alien Surf Team
    Awesome!!! Why is the woman always on the back. My wife sucks at driving but I'd put her on the front any time. It would be exciting. hahaha

Olde Phartette
    Cool beans!
    "Life is like a 10 speed bike, we all have gears we never use."
    Charles Schultz

"Love them hills!" ---MikeT

Hip
    mtbr member
    That lady in the pic is just some lady that asked for a ride in OC...LOL

Rolling
    That you rode in New Jersey and survived is an accomplishment in itself.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Keith, sweet!

Check out bikerubbish.com and see what Derek has done with his Electra. Man, I am so jonesing for an xtracycle converter Electra Swing 3 Tandem!

Hip
    mtbr member
    Cool stuff...looks bulky though.

just along for the ride
    Nice try do it 3 times a week and get healthy or else you and the miss are heart toast, just ride and fck the BS get it?

Hip
    mtbr member

What???

Quote Originally Posted by Brown_Teeth
    Nice try do it 3 times a week and get healthy or else you and the miss are heart toast, just ride and fck the BS get it?

What are you saying? What BS? Why the F would I ride a tandem cruiser 80 miles 3 days a week?? We have other bikes we ride as well.

On MTBR hiatus :(
    Dude, I don't envy your 70 miles on that chopper in flip-flops, even if split up over two days! Nice bike. Sounds like a fun ride.
    speedub.nate
    MTBR Hiatus UFN

organically fed
    That's hella cool, yo!