Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

5" Aggressive XC Build

2K views 21 replies 12 participants last post by  IFELL 
#1 ·
Many thanks to Jared Johnson at Downshift Cycles (www.downshiftcycles.com) for turning me on to the Leader 626S. It's a 5" full suspension frame that's going to be the baseline of my new build. I called Jared as a result of an ad he placed on mtbr.com selling '04 Marzocchi forks. My intention was to purchse a Marathon S 120mm, but I ended up getting the frame too! He's very easy to deal with, and worked real hard to get the frame into my hands today. It's here, and the pics show what I've done so far. The build will be what I call a "Clyde friendly" aggressive XC build. It will consist of the following:

Avid 185 mm mechanical discs and SD 7 levers
XT F/D
SRAM X.7 triggers and R/D
SRAM PC 970 Cassette, PC 99 Chain
Hand built 36 hole RhynoLites 3X laced to XT hubs
Panaracer Cinder 2.25 tires
Holzfeller Cranks (22,32,42) and gigapipe BB
Hussefelt Handlebars & stem
Titec Hell-Bent Seatpost
Marzocchi (Selle Italia) Karve saddle
PUSH'd Vanilla R rear shock
FSA PIG DH Pro headset

Tomorrow I take the drive train components off my old Warp frame. They're only about a month old, so they'll clean up nice, and do this frame proud. The pics don't do the frame or it's color justice. It is a gorgeous blue that changes hue as you see it from different angles. I'm dying to get this thing out, but the Vanilla won't be in my hands until this time next week. I'll update the pics again when it's done, and then review the first ride. I'm pretty sure it'll be everythin I expected.

Thanks again, Jared. I'm glad I made the call and that we got the chance to work together.

Clyde

Attachments

See less See more
#8 ·
Headtube...

Hey, I was wondering if anyone else rode a leader. I just finished my build up about a month and a half ago with the hardtail xc frame, with an aggresive xc approach. Still not sure how I can manual a 19 in frame that was bigger in all respects than my 18in Tomac. My question is about the headtube size. I was amazed when I took in to a LBS and they said the headset in the Tomac was too small, I wasn't expecting a xc bike to have a 1.5 headtube, other than a Cannondale. What size is your headtube?

#10 ·
McGRP01 said:
Looks nice! Just out of curiousity, why did you choose the Marathon for an "aggressive" build? Post more pics as she get built!!
I considered both AM and Z1, but while I do some aggressive riding at times, I felt the Marathon would be best suited to my day in, day out needs. In some ways, cost was also a factor. If I progress more in the FR or DH riding, aother fork to swap out will be the answer.

Clyde

#11 ·
IFELL said:
What size is your headtube?
I couldn't tell you, other than to say it took a standard headset designed for a 1 1/8 inch steerer tube. If this doesn't answer your question, let me know, and I'll get some measurements.

Clyde

#13 ·
Burpee said:
Sha-weet!

Your homework is to write us a full ride report with dirt pix.
That's one assignment I plan on getting extra credit for. I'm blowing off a day of work next week when the shock comes in and putting it through it's paces!!

Clyde

#14 ·
IFELL said:
Hey, I was wondering if anyone else rode a leader. I just finished my build up about a month and a half ago with the hardtail xc frame, with an aggresive xc approach. Still not sure how I can manual a 19 in frame that was bigger in all respects than my 18in Tomac. My question is about the headtube size. I was amazed when I took in to a LBS and they said the headset in the Tomac was too small, I wasn't expecting a xc bike to have a 1.5 headtube, other than a Cannondale. What size is your headtube?
Apparently Leader frames need a zero stack headset... go on Ebay ad look for leader frames... theres an Ebay store that sells only Leader frames and I think there's a contact number and they can tell you more about the headset.
This is what I've read about Leader.

#15 ·
Titec hellbent seatpost

AlanB said:
WTF? Does your LBS stock that part?
Seatpost was bought online direct from Titec for $35.00. Pretty funky, eh? I wanted something with a setback, and I didn't want to fork out $60.00 for a Thomson. Should help in keeping the weight back during descents, and for getting the front end up over obstacles. At least that's what I've convinced myself of....

Clyde

#17 ·
Yo Keith!

bigkeith said:
hey nice! hurry up and finish so we can hit the wiss when it dries up or belmont ..... something :)
what are you goingto do with the warp frame?
Nice to hear from you. I'll have this up and running by end of week, but I have the kids this weekend. I plan on blowing off work Friday to take it on a spin through VF/Betzwood. Maybe the Saturday after??? Let me know.

Sold the Warp frame, EXR Pro fork, and remaining parts I didn't use on this build on ebay. Posted it yesterday, and it sold three hours later for $250.00 + 30.00 shipping via "Buy it now".

Talk soon.

Clyde

#19 ·
Let us know how it works

Call_me_Clyde said:
Should help in keeping the weight back during descents, and for getting the front end up over obstacles. At least that's what I've convinced myself of....
All I can think of is how much closer the back of the seat will be to, ahem, parts of me I don't want to squoosh into the back of the seat. :eek:

I'ld be more concerned about keeping weight on the front wheel during steep climbs. As it is I feel like I'm doing a wheelie the whole way.

#20 ·
Will do

AlanB said:
All I can think of is how much closer the back of the seat will be to, ahem, parts of me I don't want to squoosh into the back of the seat. :eek:

I'ld be more concerned about keeping weight on the front wheel during steep climbs. As it is I feel like I'm doing a wheelie the whole way.
If the weight is shifted too far back, I'll just spin that puppy around and face it forward. lol
In reality, the setback isn't really that significant, and I still have some room on the saddle rails to adjust forward. We'll see how it goes when I take it out. Unfortunately, it won't be for another week. PUSH emailed me yesterday saying the shock was on it's way. UPS gave me a 3/21 delivery date. Seems a bit excessive, but they're usually accurate.

Clyde

#22 ·
Headset...

wickerman1 said:
Apparently Leader frames need a zero stack headset... go on Ebay ad look for leader frames... theres an Ebay store that sells only Leader frames and I think there's a contact number and they can tell you more about the headset.
This is what I've read about Leader.
My bikes already built up with the 1.5 inch headtube FSA headset (1 1/8 converter), I was just curious if they did that to all their MTB frames, and not just the 516 hardtail.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.