MTB Mamba
    May 2007

4 Year old / Strider Race Passion (12 second video)

This is from my son's first race a few months ago. My boy likes to keep pretty quiet and hide his emotions but try as he might he could only hold back his biking passion/excitement for a little while...

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    That's awesome! My boy's 3 years old and just recently got the hang of the Strider bike. I hope to try out some races for him this summer, also!

MTB Mamba
    May 2007
    Thanks. The races are a lot of fun, the two he's been in are totally zero pressure, everyone gets a ribbon type of thing. He definitely knows who is in front or behind him though.

mtbr member
    Awesome, can't wait for my 1 y/o grandson to get on a balance bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Nice. I had my 3 year old out on the local mtb trails for the first time with his strider yesterday. Good times.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    No offense to the commenters and purchasers of this children's bike but isn't this product just ridiculous? If you wanted to teach your child the concept of balancing the bike, why not just remove the pedals (and chains) of a regular child's bike? Then attach it again when the child does get the concept of balance?

Edit: And based on Youtube videos, these bikes don't even have brakes on them. Pretty life changing if your 4-year old smashes his nasal cavity trying to stop on a tree.

MTB Mamba
    May 2007
    My opinion based on my child:
    The reason it's better than just taking the pedals off a normal bike is the size/weight. My son has been on it since he was 1 year old. He couldn't hold up or stand over a traditional bike at that age or the years after. He can now and he can ride a pedal bike, but he's not good with the hand brake or coaster brakes as he's still so concentrated on pedaling.

As for the strider having no brakes, you're right. It doesn't. I also don't take him anywhere that putting his feet down to brake wouldn't be sufficient to stop him. That's where parenting comes in to play.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    striders are actually pretty awesome. difference between striders and kids bikes is they weigh almost nothing, while my older son's 12" bike weighs probably 1/2 of his body weight. they're super light, which makes maneuvering them really easy. we sprung for the real wheels (as opposed to the plastic ones that come on it) and all 3 of my kids were able to hop from striders onto a "real" bike really quickly. a bit spendy, but totally worth it, especially when you can hand one down for 3 kids!

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Yea... totally different geometry allows them to better use it. At the end of the day, they're not terribly expensive and you'll get a couple of years of use out of them (or more if they hand down). Well worth the cost, I think.