No Fear

The 3rd stage of the Iranian MTB National Championships

From 2 months ago I knew the 3rd stage of the league races is going to be in Ramsar one of the Iranian cities on the Caspian Sea rim. Tuesday I found out the race is going to take place on Thursday and Friday I was in Arak where im studding at university so I called some of the riders to find out exactly where and when should I go. Then I called one of the Araki riders and asked him if he wants to come with me or not and the answer was : Of course .We didn’t have training and we hadn’t organized ourselves in a team so our purpose was just to have fun ‘take some photos and clips and to see what the riders in other cities have done. We set off 7:30 on Wednesday night and after a 650 KM trip and some rest in the middle we got there 8:00 Am .When we arrived at their hotel they were going to a nearby restaurant for breakfast and we joined them. Right after the teams set for the trails both XC and DH trails were near each other and in the hillside . 10 KM ‘s of a asphalt road through the mountains covered with Caspian forests deep valleys so foggy you couldn’t see the bottom and some gravel road we went in the forests deeper and we where there .The XC race started 10 AM .The trail was a loop of 5 KM some parts a muddy fireroad and the rest single track with 2 inch deep mud .In the previous days we had heavy rainfalls and now mud. 45 XC competitors hit the race curving through a descending fire road and 5 minutes later they were on the opposite side of the valley their bikes on their shoulders walking on a short non ride able section and after that came a combination of single track and fire road both in a hard ascend a part which made 6 riders lose their chains due to hard hammering . 7 rounds and the exhausted riders with a brown coat of mud on their bikes and themselves . The winner was Ali Reza Mohammadian and he was now celebrating his unbeatable 1st place as he was in the same place in the 1st and 2nd stages .Meanwhile the Downhillers were training on the muddy trail it was a 3 KM trail which was something like a stream basin but handmade. The first part was wide enough for 2 riders and curved through the small hill like grass covered lumps which sticked out of the trail like a camels hump here the riders has to control the bikes over muddy stones and some times small drops. A little further it was so narrow that sometimes it was hard for the wide DH riser bars to steer through it and this roofless tunnel continued for 200 meters but the cool section of this narrow part was its entrance which had a small drop with mud covered stoned at the landing many riders nosed here but alas there was no where to stand and take photos from them .the last section was easier wide and lumpless an with no stones the riders could now pedal a little here and after a few burms they were at the finish line. The DH race took place 2:00 PM
    The things the XC riders needed to be allowed on the race was medical insurance and a helmet but the Downers had to ride on full suspension bikes (hard tails were forbidden) ‘Medical insurance and full face helmet .
    Friday the races were held at the same time and trails but this time the point were given to teams not to individuals . As I had an exam of the stupid university I had to get back to Arak and lost the Friday event.
    MTB is developing very fast here and I could see the progress in this race the riders had hard training and were far more technical ‘ the referee group had spent a lot of time to find technical trails and now I though they really knew what a technical trail should look like and more important the riders were equipped with new bikes and components unlike the previous events there were not just Giant bikes (some of you got interested on my previous posts on the race reports on why are there only giants here) We had some Specialized Demo – Mountain Cycles¬ – Peugeot – Merida – Trek – GT bikes and the Giants were not equipped with their factory setting this time I saw some cool parts on them like Boxxer – Sherman – Marzocchi 888 and Junior – Avid Juicy 7 – Easton – SID world cup Athens full carbon – Egg beaters – Scot tires – Specialized 3.0 tires – Giro helmets – Six Six One amours and……………..
    You know some times I think the Californian guys such as Johny .T ‘ Joe Breezer ‘ and the other pioneers had done their job. Now MTB is spread over the globe and people are having fun with it every where and every time.
    Well after all this race influenced me a lot and now im determined to organize a team from University or maybe from a company . And also I got out of doubt to continue my training on XC or DH I like DH and that’s all so now I need a good bike .
    I have made three choices here which bike do you think is better for me .
    1- Giant Faith 1 for 2700 $
    2-Kona Stinky 2004 (not used) for 2300 $
    3-Used Giant DH Team for 2500 $
    Mention that im light weight im 58 Kg so I don’t need KM’s of suspension travel and controlling heavy bikes in the trail is a bit hard for me.
    Today when I came back to Arak we went for a short ride .on the trail I met some rider friends and they were panicking why haven’t I called them up and informed them on the race and I promised them for the next race.
    The photos : here and in the next replies I have in this post you can see the pics of the event.
    These pics in order:
    1 – Mohammad Nouri The Asian Medalist on the trail head
    2 – Riders showing their new bikes
    3 – Korosh Who is always in the 1st five with has new fork
    4 – riders getting back to the trail head for more training
    5 – Ali Reza The XC winner
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (137.0 KB, 783 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (188.9 KB, 779 views)
    • File Type: jpg 3.jpg (165.4 KB, 769 views)
    • File Type: jpg 4.jpg (191.4 KB, 768 views)
    • File Type: jpg 5.jpg (185.7 KB, 785 views)

No Fear

More pics

More pics
    1 – Korosh training in the morning
    2 – Omid Zandi a rider who is always in the 1st three
    3 – Training on a Demo
    4 – Nouri who won the DH so swift I couldn’t shoot him
    5 – Mostafa who lost his Chain and doesn’t feel pleased
    • File Type: jpg 6.jpg (157.8 KB, 737 views)
    • File Type: jpg 7.jpg (187.7 KB, 740 views)
    • File Type: jpg 8.jpg (170.8 KB, 737 views)
    • File Type: jpg 9.jpg (106.1 KB, 725 views)
    • File Type: jpg 10.jpg (193.3 KB, 727 views)

No Fear

More pics

More pics :
    1 – A Demo rider
    2 – Swifting down the easy section
    3 – Homayoun in the XC
    4 – A GT running down the trail
    5 – The same person training in the morning

No Fear

More pics

More pics :
    1 – Training
    2 – Slipping down instead of ridding
    3 – An XC rider
    4 – downers waiting for their turn in training
    5 – A Mountain Cycles rider approaching the tunnel entrance

No Fear

More pics

More pics :

1 – The tunnel entrance and the least thing is to slip down
    2 – Nosing at the tunnel entrance
    3 – Swifting through the tight turns in the lumpy section
    4 – Nearly in the tunnel
    5 - XC riders parked their bikes on the restaurant wall and went in for dinning
    Last edited by SABER_MTB; 12-30-2005 at 04:42 PM. Reason: One Photo is missing

E !

Cool stuff!

I like those shots saber. Thanks for sharing. I find your posts interesting as to what's going on in Iran. nice passion hit!
    the - E - dog

R.I.P. DogFriend

The world just keeps getting smaller...

Thanks for sharing Saber. Now that's a race course that will separate the pretenders from the contenders.

Regards,
    Jeff

Now broadcasting from CO

Good job! As always...

Nice shots Saber. That tunnel looks pretty slick. Bet it caused lots of interesting crashes.
    Brought to you by rocks.

Look out!

Thanks...

For the cross cultural experience. A mountain biking world! Your posting shows that as people we are quite similar despite what governments would like us to believe. Good luck and keep updating us with biking news from Iran.

Mark
    Ride the bike.

mtbr member

Great pictures!!

If this is the Iranian nationals, why aren't the number plates in Farsi?

Just curious.
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

Hup, Hup
    Nice pics!!

Mountain biking is the international language of enjoying life.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrid
    Your posting shows that as people we are quite similar despite what governments would like us to believe.
    Well said.
    '06 Cannondale Cross
    '08 Cannondale Cross
    '08 Cannondale Scalpel Team
    '07 Cannondale SystemSix Team

Bike-shop employee.
    To all American mtbr-ers.

If and when the United States invades Iran, and you guys get conscripted, you cant forget to bring your bikes so you can ride those trails.

No Fear

Why not Farsi

As English is the international language for every thinh and also the English digits are recognized better from disdance so the referees could read the rider nubmers easily.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by skiahh
    If this is the Iranian nationals, why aren't the number plates in Farsi?

Just curious.
    You mean "Persian".

It's about showing up.

Fantastic!

You racing looks so cool. That slippery enterance to the Tunnel makes me pucker! Here is an image of our High School Kids racing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    You mean "Persian".
    No, I meant Farsi.
    (And for the record, I even did a little research and found 2 versions/translations of the Iranian Constitution. One says Persian, the other Farsi. Feel free to google it yourself)

Thanks, Saber. That makes sense.
    Last edited by skiahh; 01-01-2006 at 06:51 PM.
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

AOF
    soft / 34/ married
    Thanks for sharing Saber.

Iran looks like a fun place to ride.
    Southern NH NEMBA & My LBS & My Blog & Single Speed Alliance

Take advantage of every opportunity to ride your bicycle!

Just another Homer

Wow

I had no idea you guys were riding over in the middle east. And doing it on a good technical downhill course. Some of that stuff looks pretty steep and would test about anybody's skill. How many people turned out for the race? Is MTB'ing growing over there? Are you allowed to leave and come back freely for races and travel? Excuse my ignorance, but I was under the impression that Iran was impoverished, that mountain biking was not even known about there. Very glad to see it, and I hope some day we may ride together as friends on two wheels.
    I may not be as good as I once was.
    But I'm as good once, as I ever was.
    Toby Keith

No Fear

Thanks

Well if you take a look at my previous posts and also a glance at my gallery you can find out many things about mountain biking in IRAN.
    Thanks for being intrested in IRAN.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by skiahh
    No, I meant Farsi.
    (And for the record, I even did a little research and found 2 versions/translations of the Iranian Constitution. One says Persian, the other Farsi. Feel free to google it yourself)

Thanks, Saber. That makes sense.
    Farsi is what you say if you are speaking in Persian, while Persian is what you say if you are referring to the language in English. Perhaps I might know first hand. One never knows.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    bikes without borders...iran is cool...wish bush could see these pics and we could all ride together someday
    "He can make even a global summit meeting seem like a kegger." M. Dowd, NY Times, 19 July 2006

mtbr member
    I didn't think the new "conservative" government allowed such materialistic things ?
    rideyourbicycle.blogspot.com

No Fear

Nothing to do with politics.

[QUOTE=eayste]I didn't think the new "conservative" government allowed such materialistic things ?[/QUOSports doesnt have anyyjing to do with politics .In fact the overall policy of all Iranian governments on sport was to develop sports in the country for the youth.

Trail rider and racer
    Great post. Gee that downhill run looked like a slippery nightmare indeed.
    Trev!