Ugly As F*ck

3 week summer vacation - Where to go?

So I've got 3 full weeks of vacation to burn this year. Not sure if I'll be allowed to take it all at once, but I'm going to try.

My main dilemma at the moment, not knowing where to go. My thoughts so far...

If I head West:
    Option A) 3 full weeks in Park City/Deer Valley/SLC area
    Option B) Huge road trip that will take me through New Mexico (ABQ and Angel Fire), Colorado (Durango and Cortez), Utah (Park City and SLC), Idaho (Boise), Oregon (Bend), Nevada/California (Reno/Tahoe area and Las Vegas), Arizona (Flagstaff) and then back through NM.

If I head East:
    Option A) 3 full weeks in the Brevard/Asheville area
    Option B) Huge road trip with Brevard as a starting point, then up through Virgina, West Virginia and Pennsylvania (which would probably be my turnaround point).

I have many more specific places in mind headed West than East and more knowledge of the trails out that way, not because I've ever ridden them, but because I've researched them. I know very little about the east coast, but I'm actually leaning toward an east coast adventure because I plan on moving to the west coast soon, and once I do it's very likely I'll never make it back over to the east coast again in my lifetime.

Suggestions? Any can't miss trails out east if I head that way? If it helps I'm not really into XC, mostly because I lack the fitness (leg and lung stamina). More into the gravity/am stuff and always on the hunt for a DJ spot that has progressive lines. Can't be sending it off 6' lips with no skill when I'm thousands of miles from home on a road trip by myself.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Can't make any suggestions since I have no experience about the east coast, but three weeks in one place seems excessive when you are on the road!

Keep in mind that some places in the West at lower elevation with be just too damned hot; other trails at high elevation will still have snow in June.

But fill us in on the because I plan on moving to the west coast soon aspect of your post. Did you get a job? Where on the west coast are you headed?

mtbr member
    Ride as many different trails as you can during that span. From there to here, and here to there, beautiful trails are everywhere.

/thread