Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    I love Pisgah

2nd round Ga state series xc race roday (pics)

..and was also our hottest day of the year, being in the mid 80s with no leaf action to cut us some slack...yet. Anyways....Huge turnout, with some classes even bigger the last race. Lots of dust already, since we are in our driest March ever....Dirty teeth day. FAAAAAST course, with a gravity low thats paved for 50yrds or so for the maint trucks cause it IS so steep. 35+ mph was not uncommon.

TTU-XC and I have teamed up for the Pisgah Death March in May. We camped out Sat night nearby the course. His rear Deore freewheel became not-so-free anymore...so we canibalized my other NRSs(I brought 2 of them)rear wheel. We figured his Scalpal lost about a pound in the process. At camp Sat night. Poor bike. He raced Sport for the first time up from Beginner in the 20-29yr class.

Early this morning. His Scalpal and my other NRS. Beautiful day.

Couple Experts warming up on a matching par of carbon NRS Air's. M and S frame.

Not good me thinks. I see a chain dangling, minutes before the expert start.

Bad boy bad boys, what-cha gonna...oh..sorry. The Pro/experts. Fast mofo's. A dude in the Sobe Scalpal setup behind the starter names Turner? Won today, as well as that big race in Waco Texas a couple weeks ago. He's from Ga i think. #2 Shane finished 2nd.

They're start a minutes later.

Another Expert wave.

...and my favorite class...chic Experts. Yes indeedy.

Start...

5.5 mile course, with about .5 being a fast section thru the field and then back into the singletrack. Expert hammering by. I like this pic. Mr and Mrs Turner(dad/mom) on the sidelines. FWIW.

Just up the course from that pic, being a faaaast off camber sweeper. Loved this turn. Experts dicing.

More pics a-coming...
    Last edited by Duckman; 03-29-2004 at 07:07 AM.

I love Pisgah
    Ga mtb series banner action.

HUGE classes in some age groups. Beginner something start.

"on your left"...

Good job Chris!

Bump an grind Beginner class style, and close to the finish. It was HOT today.

The dude on the right is a well sponsored rider in MY class, as he passed me 1 mile from the finish(he was getting over being sick all week). Damn! He's from Poland. Great guy, and a self admitted hardcore roadie. Bastige! Then he has the nerve to ask ME why I'm not in Expert. Yeah...right. I'm on to ya man.

Johnmre that posts here alot. Good job dude!

This better be DoctorJD LOL! Tell me its you man. Looking good either way.

Never can remember this dudes name. Can ya tell I'm yelling him on?

Jet in the lead of this group. Just sold him that Vanilla fork. Hes pop'n wheelies as he passes by. Missed them tho. Slow camera man.

And a trail pic.

Thats it.

Me? Same as last race. 7th in Sport Master II. I'm in a rut. Guess I'm consistant, eh?

Duck

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Cool-blue Rhythm What no pics of the glorious rear wheel

. Once again, much appreciated.

I can't complain with my 16th out of 22. Just continuing the learning experience when it comes to racing. It was a great course today, well marked, got chewed up abit and was quite abit more sandy after the experts got done with it.

And I'm off to shop for wheels now

Great pics as always.

Ryan

I love Pisgah
    You did GREAT. You're a solid Sport class rider.

Man...I LOVE to go wheel shopping! My favorite thing of all prob. I'm sick me thinks.

Kearsarge crawler
    Hey Duck, i'll assume from now on that the race reports will come with no provocation. Great report and pics. Good that you come prepared and were able to help out. 7th place again, good finish. At that pace you would be in the final 10 for the NASCAR Nextel Cup. It's good that you put faces to the people of MTBR. Thanks.
    Your bike can take you anywhere, anytime, over any terrain but, you have to force it to GK 2004. BB1, who started it?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Good job, Duck, and everyone else! Thanks for the report and pics. Like Minkhiller said, it's nice to put faces with names.

I love Pisgah
    Heck man...as far as the race reports?....I'm just having fun is all. I LOVE this sh@t. Plain and simple. Lately I've met the best people on and off the race course. Not one time have I had a bad experience regarding passing or getting past. Spectators on the sidelines...the people running the thing...the whole ball of wax. Maybe its a big culmination of mtbing in general for me, at least this facet of it. At 45yrs of age, I thought I was loooooong finished with 2 wheeled racing, going back to the age of 14. My passion burns more now then ever. Guess it shows, eh?

5th and 6th were like 10 figgin seconds ahead of me yet again at the finish. Just didn't have anything left I guess. The humanity.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Were 5th and 6th the same guys as the last race?

Kearsarge crawler
    Quote Originally Posted by Duckman
    Heck man...as far as the race reports?....I'm just having fun is all. I LOVE this sh@t. Plain and simple. Lately I've met the best people on and off the race course. Not one time have I had a bad experience regarding passing or getting past. Spectators on the sidelines...the people running the thing...the whole ball of wax. Maybe its a big culmination of mtbing in general for me, at least this facet of it. At 45yrs of age, I thought I was loooooong finished with 2 wheeled racing, going back to the age of 14. My passion burns more now then ever. Guess it shows, eh?

5th and 6th were like 10 figgin seconds ahead of me yet again at the finish. Just didn't have anything left I guess. The humanity.
    I'm guessing that I may flirt with the idea of a race this year, it's been at least 8 yrs since my last race, last year was my first year MTBing since then and yes, you are right about the passion it's right back where it was then. I forgot how much fun it was and now that I will be getting back involved with groups and for the first time clubs it will only get better.
    Your bike can take you anywhere, anytime, over any terrain but, you have to force it to GK 2004. BB1, who started it?

I love Pisgah
    No unfortionately. Ha! The dude in 6th I swapped places with several times from the very start. But after breaking away about 50yrds, I had to stop to swap waterbottles and this let him by and then some. Just couldn't get by him again after that. The dude above staked me/us the entire race until he felt he could pass and stay ahead...doing so just as we went into the singletrack for the last time on Bootlegger. smart rider was all. He past 5th also, being still 5 yrds ahead of me still ATM. Oh well. Thats racing, and thats all I ask for.

edit-just noticed the dude that passed me and the other dude(and took 5th)at the finish placed 2nd at Heritage.

Double edit-the other dude in 6th finished 3rd last race. Hmmm...
    Last edited by Duckman; 03-28-2004 at 07:42 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Nice

Nice pics, thanks and congrats.

Did you get my message regarding the best way to ride Chicopee (I've never been - clockwise? How do you ride it?)

Jeremiah Bishop (from Harrisonburg, VA) won the Pro XC in Waco, by the way. His first Norba National win as a Pro.

I love Pisgah
    Just scoped these pics of TTU-XC and the Duckster. Many carried their bikes and ran this section.

TTU-XC(Ryan). Looking good dude.

http://www.photoreflect.com/scripts/...um=0&adjust=-1

...and the Duckman.

I love Pisgah
    Oh yeah...clockwise is the way you want to ride it for sure.

Also, have you ridden the Ag center? Its one exit up 985. Turn right...turn right at the next light...then turn right at the next fork...then its on the left a couple more miles being a small grass field, about .5 mile past the Ag Center itself. Total about 6 miles from 985. If you already have..um..disregard. Ha!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    So, here is the map - can you describe a fun way to ride it? I want as many miles as possible.

map

I've never ridden Ag Center either - though I know I need to before it's gone.

I'm relatively new to Atlanta - busy as hell student. I've managed a few rides at Yellow River and Dauset since I moved here, that's it.

mtbr member

Good work Duck...

...on your 7th, nothing to sneeze at what-so-ever. I have no idea how I placed as I loaded up immediately after the race, turned on the A/C and headed home. A head count count at the starting line showed about 40 riders in Master II Beg. Getting yet another terrible start, (somewhere around 20-25th) then having to negotiate some of the hardest-to-pass riders I've experienced to date, made for a long day for "your's truly". Just can't make up time in a two-lap race when you start that far back. "Sport" at the "Twilight"? I think so. I'd rather get last place in Sport than be "fish food" for those sandbaggers over in Beginner. And by the way, that is me in the pic. Good job on yet another top-ten!

Horses and Bikes, Oh My!

Super Sport

My race went much better than at Athens! At least I didn't wind up in the ER. Doing 4 laps in Super Sport, I cruised on the first lap and didn't really start pushing it until the second lap. That definitely hurt my time! I should have been about 4-5 minutes faster overall. I also dropped my Gatorade bottle on the second lap, which I normally drink during the middle of the race. I didn't see it on the side of the trail til the 4th lap. By that point, cramps had already started. Oh well! It was a fun race, the extra lap was good training, and the weather could not have been nicer! I wound up getting 3rd in Super Sport Coed.

Duck--I saw you standing around but didn't know that it was you. I'll need to introduce myself the next time I go to a GAP Race (probably Helen in May).

Infinity-1
    Feb 2004

Thanks for the report....First race, 17th out of 45..Sr Beginner..

My first race (besides 24 hours at Conyers) and I placed 17th out of 45 in beginner Senior!! Had a blast. Would have done better had I paced myself....Got pretty far up in the ranks in the first 2 miles but then lost it all on the backside. I will have to work more on endurance and pacing. Passing is fun and I now have a better feel for how that works. Will post some pics as soon as I pull them off the camera.
    The Jamis XLT 2.0 did well but I need a hardtail/XC squishy for tracks like Dausett....The XLT will work well at Conyers and similar tracks...
    Was a great group of people. I was not expecting that kind of turnout but it was like a miniature 24hours....Thanks to everybody who made it possible.

Edit : Now that the standings are on the internet, I can see that they still misspelled my name and they bumped me from 17th to 20th....I liked the other results better. At least my time stayed the same.....58:00 more or less....

Greyeye
    Last edited by Greyeye; 03-29-2004 at 12:33 PM. Reason: Changed standings...

Upgrade Addict

Thanks Duck

It was great to finally meet you and I really appreciate your advice on the race. It was painful but great fun. Actually, I think that is me in the pic you captioned for DrJD. Thanks for all the great pics. Any idea when the standings will be posted and where?

John

mtbr member

A tip/trick about swaping out water bottles.....

Works great if you don't have a feed person.
    Find a fence post, picinic table, log, set up a cooler, something where off to the side of the course where you can layout a few extra water bottles and grab them as you go by. This way no stopping is involved.
    I usually don''t have a feed and I like to dring one bottle per lap so it's impossible for me to cary 4 bottles at a time. I will generally set up a small cooler slightly off to the side of the race course along a flat section, slight incline, on a run up...just somewhere where the course is not technical an where you are not going too fast. Ride up along side of the cooler or whatever you are using and reach out and grab a bottle (make sure you don't knock off the other bottles). Once I have it I will drop my first bottle (just don't want to drop my first bottle and miss my feed only to have nothing to dring for a lap) and back into the race.
    Run ups are the best place as your off the bike anyway and you can just reach down and grab a bottle of to the side of the trail as you are running by.

Also....great race post, always look forward to reading them!

KMan

Quote Originally Posted by Duckman
    No unfortionately. Ha! The dude in 6th I swapped places with several times from the very start. But after breaking away about 50yrds, I had to stop to swap waterbottles and this let him by and then some. Just couldn't get by him again after that. The dude above staked me/us the entire race until he felt he could pass and stay ahead...doing so just as we went into the singletrack for the last time on Bootlegger. smart rider was all. He past 5th also, being still 5 yrds ahead of me still ATM. Oh well. Thats racing, and thats all I ask for.

edit-just noticed the dude that passed me and the other dude(and took 5th)at the finish placed 2nd at Heritage.

Double edit-the other dude in 6th finished 3rd last race. Hmmm...

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

mtbr member

Hey Johnmre, is that you in the yellow jersey?

If so, what class were you in? I think we may have been attached at the hip for a good portion of the race.

Upgrade Addict

Actually, that is me the in the green jersey...

Right above your pic. You only get to see my @ss in that one, though. Trust me, I have a look of pain on my face. I was in Beginner Master I. Finished 30th with a 58:34. It was great fun, though. I have to miss the next 2 races, but hope to do most after that.

I love Pisgah
    Darn slow focusing digicam was the culprit. As I panned past those trees, the camera was going crazy trying to focus. Sorry man. Guess you noticed I aways caption above the pic so the pics do indeed match up, thank God.

Upgrade Addict

I figured it out finally

I'm a bit slow sometimes... didn't figure out that the caption was on top at first... I like telling everyone that I was going too fast for you to snap the front... We'll keep the slow focus a secret. HA!

Thanks again for your photo contributions to this board. You make it much more enjoyable for everyone. Now if I can just find where I lost my energy yesterday... I am still a bit wiped out.

Fire it up...
    Feb 2004
    For those who race, are camelbaks an option? If not, why? I always ride with mine, no matter where I may roam. I did one race back in 99, in which I was only like 15 and came in 10th place. I am really up for racing this season, its just I am always a day late when I find out about the rides. (I.E. When I find out about the rides, its usually the day of or the day after.) Also, how long are the races usually? I ride pretty good for my experience, I think atleast. When I ride at Blanket's, I usually do the advanced loop twice, averaging at 25 minutes, and I can do the intermediate at less than 20 minutes on average. (4 laps, 2 advanced, then 2 intermediate.) For being 20 years old, how competitive will I be? I hate to loose, yet getting out and riding races are always fun, for that I have always had a great time running races. (My Peachtree application is already in.) I just want to findout whats going on with the racing scene, and how much more riding I'm going to need to come out on top. If not, races are always fun, in which is what I strive for each and every day.
    LIVE for Today, never tomorrow.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast