mtbr member
    Aug 2015

2018 Bike Trip Ideas

In years past I search the Internet for ideas for the coming year, for both my biking buds group trip but also family trips where there just happens to be trails…wink. It takes weeks/days/hours and is super frustrating. I’m in the middle of this process now. I think a thread devoted to this subject would be great. I'm not just talking about finding a bike trail I want to ride and driving to it, but activities, festivals, goings on, etc… Sure we can go to Breck and ride but why not go during Oktober Fest!? (actually in Sept) Which I’ve done and would recommend.. but I am running out of ideas! Outerbike in Arkansas Oct 26th, Bluegrass fest in Telluride June 21st, Nashville Beer Fest Apr 7th, etc… I’d love to hear about bike trips you have taken in the past that fits this idea, or any recommendations for bike trips in 2018.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    The gf and I are heading to VT for their fest in July. It's at Ascutney mountain resort in Brownsville. Great trails, festival atmosphere, food and drink. May also head down to WVA the beginning of July for Dirt Rag's Dirt Fest.
    LOVE THE RIDE!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I'm headed to Sedona for the first time in March, I hear that's a great place. Also BC is an annual trip, it's a hard place to beat. Oregon has a lot of cool places o ride, Bend and Ashland (MBO is a cool experience I'm told). Washington is also on my list, nothing but good things about Bellingham.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scaryfast View Post
    Oregon has a lot of cool places o ride, Bend and Ashland
    Agreed! And Oakridge, north of Ashland, is this super cool valley surrounded by mountains with epic rides and they have shuttle services right in town and there's this little diner that, I swear, deserves every one of the 5 stars on yelp. Sweet spot.
    Over the Bars - the mtn biking comic

mtbr member
    If you like beer and don't mind camping, MBO (Mountain Bike Oregon) in Oakridge. Absolutely fantastic trails up there.

Fruita's mountain bike festival the 1st weekend in May is the best run festival I've been to.

Austin has music festivals in March (SXSW - South By SOUTHWEST) and October (ACL - Austin City Lights)

Park City has numerous events all Summer, most too uppity for my tastes.
    2018 Intense Tracer
    2017 Intense Primer
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010

mtbr member
    I really want to head up to the Sedona MTB festival. I should since its 80 miles away... and it was not a MTB thing but last year I did Bike the Bay in San Diego. that was fun. Unfortunately I no longer have a place to stay in SD without renting a hotel room.
    Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature. It will never fail you.
    Frank Lloyd Wright

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

mtbr member
    I'd like to visit the Sea Otter Classic. Convincing the wifey might be hard, there's little there for the 3yo and babies. But she does like Santa Cruz.

NAHBS was here a few years ago and it's a hoot.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Lefty View Post
    I'd like to visit the Sea Otter Classic. Convincing the wifey might be hard, there's little there for the 3yo and babies. But she does like Santa Cruz.

NAHBS was here a few years ago and it's a hoot.
    Sea Otter Classic is a very fun event to spectate. I dig looking at all the new products and picking up sweet swag. The dual slalom course is probably my favorite thing to watch, so much awesome. That said, some people don't like the cost of things. Gotta pay to play I guess.

mtbr member
    Maybe for me this year, my first year of riding. Something a little bit further from GJ, but still in CO, and maybe a Moab trip.
    2017 Specialized Camber FSR, 2013 Specialized Secteur Sport

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Been to 9 Telluride Bluegrass Festivals and usually spent the week before the festival and the fest week biking around the many trails of Telluride. Incredible music, I have learned of many great bands just reading the lineup, let alone going. FREE lift service riding. Ride down from Alta Lakes to the ski area is sweet.
    St George is another super destination with Gooseberry Mesa, Little Creek, JEM, Zen and many more. One sweet thing about the area are trails from 2500' to 10000'+ on the VRRT and Brianhead. Not far to the beautiful Rainbow Rim, too.
    Prescott, Sedona, Phoenix, Tucson, Kingman and Flagstaff all have many trails here in AZ.
    agmtb

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by GJmtnbike View Post
    Maybe for me this year, my first year of riding. Something a little bit further from GJ, but still in CO, and maybe a Moab trip.
    Penatente, CO. Fun tech trails. In your area, Grand Mesa! Bring insect repellant as the mosquitoes are really bad in summer.
    agmtb

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by abegold View Post
    Penatente, CO. Fun tech trails. In your area, Grand Mesa! Bring insect repellant as the mosquitoes are really bad in summer.
    I was thinking about something up on the Grand Mesa.
    2017 Specialized Camber FSR, 2013 Specialized Secteur Sport

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    The New England Mountain Bike Association's "NEMBAfest" at Kingdom Trails in East Burke, VT is a great time. The trails are the best the New England has to offer. Great atmosphere. June 22-24 this year.

Check it out at NEMBAfest

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by abegold View Post
    I rode Penatente Canyon last year, and Salida. Penatente is like another world. Not a great vid but after we were done we pulled out the drone. I rode out and back just a bit. Not a great example of what the trail has to offer as this is just the end but you can see the landscape. Awesome.