mtbr dismember

2013 year in review

My riding for the year 2013 turned out to be pretty good. During the academic year I managed to do one long ride each Saturday and a shorter local ride every Tuesday afternoon. During the Summer I did a lot of Tahoe riding, my favorite place, plus some out of town trips. Unfortunately, most of the people I used to ride with no longer rode with me. So I did mostly solo rides, or I occasionally found someone to accompany me by posting on mtbr. My impressions of the rides, photos and GPS stats are on my biking site.

I had some surgery in January so I missed a few rides and had to do shorter local rides while recovering. Mostly Auburn CA, below.

February I returned to do what I had always considered the toughest ride I'd ever done, Palm Springs, CA. I've obviously gotten better because I found the ride too short and almost too easy.

March Mendobikesprite led me on a great ride through the Redwoods and along the coast of Northern CA, near Mendocino.

During March I also got to Arizona and did the Black Canyon Trail, which had the best wildflower displays I've ever seen while biking.

April I finally got to do the Arizona Trail, Picketpost to Kelvin ride. I rode solo into some of the most remote and foreboding territory I've ever seen. I questioned my sanity on this one at times.

In May, due to really low precipitation this year, I got into the high country at Tahoe earlier than ever.

I retired on June 4th and happened to be able to do my favorite Tahoe ride that day. I got in a lot of Tahoe rides that month.

Me, on my first day of retirement.

July was mostly Tahoe riding all month.

Me

August I got up to Oregon for two rides, North Umpqua Trail and Oakridge.

September was mostly Tahoe and I did some really big solo Tahoe rides.

At the end of October I closed out the Tahoe riding season the day before the first snowstorm with my favorite ride, Mt. Rose down Van Sickle.

November, back to local riding, mostly in Auburn, CA. I did a big all day ride on Thanksgiving, a rare third ride in one week, and almost ran out of daylight.

First rain of the season in December sent me to Fort Ord, home of Sea Otter, because it drains very well. Didn't rain there anyway.

As soon as the semester ended I headed back to Arizona for Picketpost to Kelvin and the Black Canyon Trail. The latter was the last day of the year and one of my best rides ever!

mtbr member
    Great 2013 summary!

pin it
    Nice seeing the changing seasons of beautiful landscapes and riding areas.
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Very cool
    2014 S-Works Epic WC
    2014 S-Works Crux Disc
    2014 Surly Pugsley

ready to ride
    Allsomeness!

Reminds me that I need to stop and smell the flowers more often, and take some pictures too.
    Sent via my heady vibes from the heart of Pisgahstan

mtbr member extraordinair
    Great pics! You've ridden in some awesome locations!
    Grit, spit, and a whole lot of duct tape!

mtbr member
    Well done sir!
    13 Banshee Rune, Pushed Fox 36Float RC2, I9 Blunt35's

T1 barcode, pitchfork's, Hazard light's and profile's

King of Middle Earth
    Thanks for sharing Wherewolf! Your reports are always well done and well appreciated.

I have to ask you something, how many miles did you put on your vehicle driving to your riding destinations???
    fee-fy-fo-fum...

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I'm not polydactyl, so can offer only two thumbs up.

mtbr dismember

A lot!

Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    I have to ask you something, how many miles did you put on your vehicle driving to your riding destinations???
    A lot! I wish I got better gas mileage but the Honda Element is the only vehicle that will hold my bike comfortably with the wheels on.

mtbr member
    Loved the photo essay. I'm an Element driver as well. My next car I may transition to something a little smaller (more like a wagon) with a rear rack, but it's very nice to have the interior storage for 2 bikes along with me+passenger.

mtbr member
    Impressive and inspiring. Thanks for the stoke!
    "The world is worse when you are behind a keyboard. The world is best when you are behind handlebars." M77Ranger.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Hi Steve, we had a brief email exchange a few years ago. I look at your posts every so often, as I enjoy your ride reports and photos, and see you usually ride Tahoe. If you are looking for someone to ride with, and want to see something different, you might want to check out Pinecrest. It's about half the distance to travel from your home in Turlock than Tahoe is, and has some good trails. Although it has a well deserved reputation for knar, there are actually a number of moderate trails that tend to be less known, as most people like to show and tell about their "Chunkcrest" experiences. The trails can be a bit rawer than Tahoe's, with narrow tread, and appeal to adventurous types who don't mind not seeing anyone else on the trail all day. Anyway, just thought you might be interested in case you don't want to drive all the way to Tahoe sometime.

mtbr member
    Great review, pictures and areas you ride!

CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007
    Great pics! I hope I am able to do that when I retire.
    http://s227.photobucket.com/albums/dd66/CraigCreekRider
    Its Jake - From State Farm. What are you wearing?

mtbr member
    Aloha, awesome passion post for sure. Great seeing all those places I've ridden over the years. It's been years since I've been to Tahoe and Oregon. Totally loved that Umpqua River trail. Headed to New Zealand in a couple of months. It's been years since I've been out there.