mtbr member
    Sep 2010

2008 Jamis Dakar XC opinion

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...c+Bike+08.aspx

Its selling for $449!

I want to upgrade from my hardrock mainly because the frame size is too small.

I looked into a Hardrock sport disc and they msrp at $590. This I can get for $485 shipped.

Seems to have better components anyways. Should I jump on it?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    My wife just got one of those and I think it's a pretty good deal. Good components for the price and the frame's suspension design seems to work well.

A couple of notes:

--As verified with Jamis, the RS fork will come with a "firm" spring and they do not put different spring weights in for different bike sizes (all are the same). I thought this was pretty weird. I've been having difficulty finding soft springs for the 289 Tora (can't use the same spring as 318 Tora sadly).

--Do an inspection rebuild on the fork as soon as you get it. Ours had zero bath oil in one leg and just a few drips in the other, I'm sure the bushings would love that down the road. Much smoother after a rebuild. Of course a person shouldn't have to do this on a brand-new fork, but do some searching and you'll find that RS was having quality-control problems around the time these were made.

--The Fox shock works great, very very smooth and has pro-pedal.

--The brakes feel a little mushy as installed. This may be easy to improve with better housing/cable, have not tried yet. Hubs are center-lock fyi.

The other components are all fine with the slight annoyance of schrader-drilled rims.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Looks like I'm going to look more into a hard tail. Sub $1000 FS bikes seem to lack bearings on suspension rotating parts and it sounds like there's some chain stay strenth issues with this model. I'm kinda a specialized fan so maybe I'll look into a rockhopper. Seems to be a bullet proof option.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Tested out a rockhopper 19 inch frame....too big for me. Good thing is I'll keep rocking my Hardrock 17inch its not so small after all.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Well hey, there you go - can't beat the price on something you already own.

Members who have read this thread: 1