Thread: 2004 Trek 4900

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

2004 Trek 4900

I have not been on a bike in about 10 years, in fact my last one was a trek 920. I just purchased a 4900 and I was wondering what some of you thought about it? I'm not planning on doing any hard-core riding just the local trails. Thanks

Probably drunk right now

A fine choice....

Quote Originally Posted by mterry
    I have not been on a bike in about 10 years, in fact my last one was a trek 920. I just purchased a 4900 and I was wondering what some of you thought about it? I'm not planning on doing any hard-core riding just the local trails. Thanks
    Although I don't ride a Trek, they are a fine manufacturer and it seems the bike you've chosen will fit the type of riding you intend with the bike. It's hard to tell since "hard-core" riding and "local trails" are fairly subjective (what if your local trails are "hard-core"?).

Ken

life is a barrel o'fun

Love my 4900

Got the WSD version after the 4500 was stolen (thought I could lock it up for a few minutes in NYC, DUH.)

Love my bike, which hasn't ridden anything truly hardcore, but takes a beating on a regular basis. Just last night, I barreled over a tall curb and slammed the rear wheel pretty hard, but she took it like a trooper.

In fact, many times when I'm sure I've done damage, there's never a problem. Again, though, I'm not riding like a total maniac! Just the local black diamonds and the occasional surprise rocks and bumps.

I've got her fitted with slime tubes and a ThudBuster seat post. I've heard that the Bontrager cranks are often a problem, but so far so good. No need to upgrade those just yet.

120 pounds of xc sex!

yo

um, i have the 02 4300, basically the same frame. while its a little heavier than other frames, (its like 4.3 vs. 3.7...greattt) its a sold bike. I got hooked after buying mine, and then broke a bunch of crap on it, and replaced it. (most wear and tear tho, so no biggie)

just ride!
    Team X-poser is back for 2006-

WTB; 1.25 inch tow rack in SoCal

>Ankur<

Ya, right.

Trek

I also have a Trek 4300. This bike is an awesome deal for the price, as I'm sure the 4900 is as well. Mine has taken 8 months of 3-4 rides a week abuse on a pretty rugged trail, with no problems of any kind.

Look in the review section of this site for other rider's opinions of your bike. What truly matters though is how you like it. Ride it like theres no tomorrow!!!!
    I hope you have a big trunk... 'cuz I'm puttin' my bike in it.

life is a barrel o'fun

Good job! oops forgot to mention

Quote Originally Posted by DSDuke
    I also have a Trek 4300. This bike is an awesome deal for the price, as I'm sure the 4900 is as well. Mine has taken 8 months of 3-4 rides a week abuse on a pretty rugged trail, with no problems of any kind.

Look in the review section of this site for other rider's opinions of your bike. What truly matters though is how you like it. Ride it like theres no tomorrow!!!!
    The one complain is the front suspension: THAT does suck! I've since upgraded the front shock, which was riding like a rigid bike.

Took other riders to point this out, as I'd been riding nothing but a rigid bike before getting the Trek, so I didn't know what it was *supposed* to feel like.

Now, I've got a gently-used air shock, and with this upgrade, it's MUCH better

Ya, right.

Trek

Quote Originally Posted by Christine
    The one complain is the front suspension: THAT does suck! I've since upgraded the front shock, which was riding like a rigid bike.

Took other riders to point this out, as I'd been riding nothing but a rigid bike before getting the Trek, so I didn't know what it was *supposed* to feel like.

Now, I've got a gently-used air shock, and with this upgrade, it's MUCH better
    Does the 4900 come with the RockShox Pilot?? I have said it before and I'll say it again. The RockShox JudyTT fork on the 4500 is 5 lbs of crap!! There is only about 2-3 inches max of realistic travel. Sometimes I feel like my bike has a rigid fork. But, for $400 how can you really complain?? I can't wait until I upgrade in a couple months. June won't get here soon enough for me.
    I hope you have a big trunk... 'cuz I'm puttin' my bike in it.

|i|
    My first real mountain bike was a Trek 6500, the rough equivalent to your bike. I just wrote about it in one of the gallery shots. I rode it around campus and to the bars, putting in about 1500 miles in the process.

It was a great bike -- the frame held up to a surprising amount of abuse -- I snapped a set of Truvativ cranks on it and broke a Ritchey stem as well as bending the stock cranks and destroying the brake levers. I also managed to completely obliterate the stock Manitou fork. With all those failures, the frame never gave me trouble (though it was incredibly flexy)

I had alot of fun on that bike and a lot of fond (sometimes drunken) memories -- it's what made me love this hobby. Excellent choice for your first ride.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    The 4900 comes with the Rock Shox Pilot C. The sales guy at the bike shop said they are decent, the only problem is that they tend to get a little stiff if it's under 30 degrees. Like I said I really havn't been on a bike in 10 years so anything should be an upgrade to what I've had in the past.