mtbr member

1st Trip Out West

This past weekend I took a trip out to San Diego to visit some family. I figured while I was there I would try to get a ride in. What I found was a trail called the Anderson Truck Trail in Alpine CA. Man, is it different than anything I've ever seen or ridden here in NJ! An hour and a half climb (what?!!!) that turns into an insane downhill. Unfortunately I only got a few pics in.

I did a Google search and found an awesome little shop in El Cajon called Chainline Bikes. The owner Jason was a really cool dude who rented me this wicked, pimped out Intense Carbine. Yeah, I know it has pink highlights but I needed a small sized frame. What else was I gonna do? Pink or not, the thing ripped!
    1st Trip Out West-intense.jpg

These are not views that we get in NJ.
    Name:  more.jpg
Views: 380
Size:  35.2 KB
    Name:  lake.jpg
Views: 379
Size:  29.8 KB

This is what happens when you ride unfamiliar trails on an unfamiliar bike in an unfamiliar state.
    1st Trip Out West-arm.jpg

Can you find a better post ride meal than In 'n Out? I think not. We need one in NJ.
    1st Trip Out West-n-out.jpg

My only regret is that I didn't get to hit Noble Canyon with the crew from the shop. I definitely have to head back out there ASAP with my own bike because from what I understand there is plenty of epic riding in SoCal. And I am no longer a doubter. Thanks to everyone that gave me suggestions. I wish I was there longer so I could hit 'em all.
    "Lock S-Foils in attack position"

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    There is epic riding, Noble Canyon rocks. Personally I think there's less great riding in southern Cal than most areas of the west. Sierra Club has a strong, anti MTB stance and a lot of political power. But eastern and far northern parts of California, like Tahoe and Downieville are different. Arizona, Utah, Colorado, Oregon and ALL the western states have great trails. Western Canada (not been in eastern) is full of trails. Even lots of legal national park MTB riding. Tucson alone has about 450 miles of singletrack from 2400' to 9150'. As famous as Slickrock Trail is it's not even in my top 5 in Utah, more a workout than a fun trail. Ridden over 160 networks thru out the west.
    Warning: exploring the west may result in a change of living location.
    agmtb

mtbr member
    Aloha, awesome Passion post. It's been a while since I've ridden out in SD. Battle scars are great with the stories that goes with them. Thanks for sharing.......

Front Range, Colorado
    Nice!

Yes my old local trail Anderson Truck Trail. I've left many a piece of my DNA on there as well. A fun trail but you missed a killer trail just 20 minutes east of there called Noble Canyon. A much better trail with mountain and desert landscape. The top of which is up in old growth pine trees. And ends up 12 miles below in the town of Alpine and desert terrain. You rode up up up Anderson Truck Trail which went up 9 miles and then back down. Some off shoots up top to play around on but mainly an up and back. Noble Canyon is a much different experience and hopefully you can hit it up next time you're out in SD.

Oh and the photo with the lake down below is called El Capitan Reservoir. Another old favorite of mine for jet skiing.
    Last edited by DIRTJUNKIE; 3 Days Ago at 11:18 AM.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^Rock Garden
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqpcBpSsj1A

Pro Thread Skimmer
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogueldr View Post
    This past weekend I took a trip out to San Diego to visit some family. I figured while I was there I would try to get a ride in. What I found was a trail called the Anderson Truck Trail in Alpine CA. Man, is it different than anything I've ever seen or ridden here in NJ! An hour and a half climb (what?!!!) that turns into an insane downhill. Unfortunately I only got a few pics in.

I did a Google search and found an awesome little shop in El Cajon called Chainline Bikes. The owner Jason was a really cool dude who rented me this wicked, pimped out Intense Carbine. Yeah, I know it has pink highlights but I needed a small sized frame. What else was I gonna do? Pink or not, the thing ripped!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	intense.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	140.7 KB 
ID:	999088

These are not views that we get in NJ.
    Name:  more.jpg
Views: 380
Size:  35.2 KB
    Name:  lake.jpg
Views: 379
Size:  29.8 KB

This is what happens when you ride unfamiliar trails on an unfamiliar bike in an unfamiliar state.

Name:	arm.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	76.3 KB 
ID:	999089

Can you find a better post ride meal than In 'n Out? I think not. We need one in NJ.

Name:	in n out.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	146.6 KB 
ID:	999096

My only regret is that I didn't get to hit Noble Canyon with the crew from the shop. I definitely have to head back out there ASAP with my own bike because from what I understand there is plenty of epic riding in SoCal. And I am no longer a doubter. Thanks to everyone that gave me suggestions. I wish I was there longer so I could hit 'em all.
    Sounds like you has a great time!
    Please excuse my a$$h0le resting face.

All bike, all the time
    Your arm and that burger look a lot alike.
    All bike, all the time

CAMBr Trail Crew
    In-N-Out is the f'n BEST!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Hit up the SoCal forum next time you're in town. You can ALWAYS find people willing to go ride Noble Canyon with you.