Professional Crastinator

1st Fatbike Race!

I've raced, but I'm not a racer.
    I haven't been putting in a lot of miles, but I've been riding in the 1-2 hr. timeframe and figured this 75 minute format was in my wheelhouse. Plus, I've been riding consistently in poor, ungroomed conditions, so I felt like this one would suit me well - with mashed potato snow, and rain at 28F.
    Course combined groomed, mushy snow across a golf course and maybe 1/3 of the course was singletrack. I can get down in the singletrack (thank you Bud & Lou) but I don't have the motor to make time out in the open.
    LeMans style start and I filed in about where I wanted to be. Strategy was to make time in the ST, and follow as best I could out in the open. I also needed to make sure to stay aerobic 100% of the time: no hammering, or I'd die a quick and unceremonious death out on the course.
    I took advantage of a few bobbles in front of me on the 1st lap to make up about 5 spots.
    On the 2nd lap I took great pleasure in hounding people who had the wrong tires - breathing on their necks 'til they made a mistake, careening off the race line.
    The next 4 laps to the end was just me trying to maintain my spot (with 2 guys gunning for me less than a minute behind - I kept seeing them on the long switchbacks) I kept making time in the ST, and losing it in the open, but I hung on for 5th/20. Top 25% is my best ever, so I feel great about that. And other than the first lap with all the traffic, the other 5 laps were all within 10 seconds of eachother - which blew my mind.
    In the shorter race of the day, a kid finished 2nd, with a fantastically patient-but-intense race, as he picked off riders in wholesale fashion. Another dude raced on a SS fat cruiser with coaster brake and also had a good race. You never know what you're gonna see out there.

-F
    PS -GO TEAM USA!

Elitest thrill junkie
    Sweet deal!
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

The White Jeff W
    Was that the Cleveland race?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    No moss...

Professional Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffw-13 View Post
    Was that the Cleveland race?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Yup. Shawnee Hills. In a weird-good way, a bunch of competetive fatbikers were racing in Michigan, but my race still went as good as could be expected.

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

The White Jeff W
    Quote Originally Posted by Fleas View Post
    Yup. Shawnee Hills. In a weird-good way, a bunch of competetive fatbikers were racing in Michigan, but my race still went as good as could be expected.

-F
    One of the locals here did that race in Mi and finished first in SS, 2nd overall. I thought about making the drive up to Cleveland for the fat race but there was rain in the forecast.
    No moss...

Professional Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffw-13 View Post
    One of the locals here did that race in Mi and finished first in SS, 2nd overall. I thought about making the drive up to Cleveland for the fat race but there was rain in the forecast.
    Prob'ly a good call. It had been 40F the previous day and didn't really freeze overnight, except that a LOT of the streets had sheets of ice on them and a lot of cars got banged up. It was foggy and drizzling at race time, and the course was soft and loose - I couldn't imagine riding it SS, esp. on the one climb where people were barely finding traction.

-F

Elitest thrill junkie
    First 100 mile fatbike race yesterday! Several of us took wrong turns and it was 120 miles, but tons of fun still, lots of varied terrain and amazing views in the clear cold. Started and ended around -10F, probably got up into the teens. Keeping warm wasn't too hard and the terrain was pretty easy to deal with, that's the big question mark usually, the snow conditions can vary so much and you are covering so much distance where it can be quite different than the next area.

1st Fatbike Race!-28071290_926211774214199_5993628070319540264_o.jpg
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Professional Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    First 100 mile fatbike race yesterday! Several of us took wrong turns and it was 120 miles, but tons of fun still, lots of varied terrain and amazing views in the clear cold. Started and ended around -10F, probably got up into the teens. Keeping warm wasn't too hard and the terrain was pretty easy to deal with, that's the big question mark usually, the snow conditions can vary so much and you are covering so much distance where it can be quite different than the next area.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	28071290_926211774214199_5993628070319540264_o.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	60.7 KB 
ID:	1183557
    Bike set-up?

How bad did the snow get? I bet you didn't average 8.7mph like I did.

Aid stations?

120 miles? Is that, like, 2 days?

-F