mtbr member
    Jun 2013

1987 Wicked Fat Chance

I bought this bike in Nashville second hand for $450. I love the ride but the components are getting worn out. I would like to convert to a single speed.

Has anyone converted one and what components do you suggest?1987 Wicked Fat Chance-image-42.jpg

AZ
    banned
    Don't. Leave it as is, please.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I knew that would be one reply...Tell me why? I mean that sincerely

Born With A Tail
    I converted my '92 Monster Fat using the Surly Singleator and Problem Solvers chainring bolts. A new stem and bars also helps to change the geometry. Currently it is set up 1x9, since I got a dedicated singlespeed, but it is still a very fun bike to ride. In fact, I think I'll go ride it now. Thanks for the kick in the seat.
    It is your bike, do what you like with it. It is just a bike, meant to be ridden and enjoyed, not a museum piece. People telling you to keep it as is will not ride it, much less ever see it.
    Tequila tonight, tomorrow we ride!

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    M-Train...can you send a PIC.

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Doublec1969 View Post
    I knew that would be one reply...Tell me why? I mean that sincerely

You can't think of a better pick for a SS? How about something with geo. and materials from this century? Meanwhile check the down tube for rust out.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Dirty Sanchez...how bout some equipment suggestions

AZ
    banned
    For that? Have none. Something current? On-One or Vassago come to mind, as does Salsa. I'm still riding an 08 or 09 GF Rig that has served me quite well although it can get a bit creaky if I neglect the BB eccentric. As I suggested, do what you like but realize that your working with 30 y.o. geo and materials. Did you check the downtube for rust out from the inside?

mtbr member
    Check performance for a single speed kit. I've heard they're about $30-$40. Enjoy and if you fall in love with single speed then you can always buy a new one later.
    18" rigid Unit

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    You should check out the vintage and single speed forums here ,lots of info on both. I think theres a on going post on Fat Chances in the Vintage section.

Phobia of petting zoos.
    Oct 2005
    ^ This.

Ideally I like vintage bikes to have period correct parts, but I know sometimes that isn't possible and also that the components on those well loved and much ridden bikes wears out.

Tough call, so I'll make a deal with you, send me the bike and I'll look after it.

Seriously now...

Set it up how you want it. You can throw whatever fits onto it for all I care because half an hour on the tools can remove all those "not correct" parts. That's too good a bike to not use, whether it's in geared or SS form. The singlespeed forum might be the better option for detailed info on tensioners and related stuff (I am a big fan of the White Industries Eno Eccentric rear hub, for what it's worth).

Whatever components you take off, clean then and store them because there is a lot of value in a vintage bike of that calibre that still has it's original parts.

Grumps

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Thanks Uncle Grumpy. Stay Tuned

Phobia of petting zoos.
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Doublec1969 View Post
    Thanks Uncle Grumpy. Stay Tuned
    Oh, so you ARE sending the bike to me?

Excellent...

Grumps

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I bought this for $450 on a whim when I was in Nashville. I took it for a ride and was blown away with the ride quality. The deore components are just worn the hell out.

He be a moose too.
    Post it and questions you have to the vintage group (Vintage, Retro, Classic), that's really the best place for it.

The other thing is that finding parts for this in good condition isn't going to be that hard or particularily expensive. the 87 deore parts are usually pretty reasonably priced. It might take a little time to find them but by no means will it take you months.
    Looking for:
    • Bontrager Comp crown, 1" threaded
    • Syncros Revolution, drive side 172.5

mtbr member
    Just remove all the gear related components, determine your gear ratio and get the cog, ring and half link(s) needed to convert, create spacers with PVC Sch40 pipe and voila!, single speed.

Born With A Tail
    I'm sorry to have taken so long to reply, I don't spend much time on the computer. I also don't have the know how to post pictures, but maybe I'll ask my wife later. But trust me, the bike is so macho it would blow your mind and might even crash the internet if I were to post photos. Seriously, it is a very fun ride and conversion kits are cheap. You can start with the Performance bikes ss conversion and upgrade if you like it. I highly recommend a new stem and bars, though, they make the geometry more upright then the cross country race geo from that era.
    Tequila tonight, tomorrow we ride!