Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 14 year old son

mtbr member
    Jun 2013

14 year old son

my 14 year old son has been working his butt off to try to get a new bike, do you guys think i should help him pay for it

ride more
    Mar 2007

Re: 14 year old son

Yes, match whatever he has.

Rogue Exterminator
    Is the bike a want or a need?
    Does he take care of his stuff?
    Does he need help?
    What lessons are you trying to teach your kid?

Really, this is only an answer you can come up with.

Other suggestions for giving him the money is that you can loan him the money and even set him up an payments with interest. I know it sounds silly but it does teach him how things work in the real world.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    ok, well it is a want and a need, he is going to start racing
    he takes great care of his stuff and the old bike he has now
    i think he will definately be short of the bottom of the line race worth bikes

Rogue Exterminator
    So many things you can do but I don't know what is best for your parenting style and the lessons you want your kid to learn.

Give him what he needs
    Loan him what he needs.
    Make him earn it around the house.
    Early birthday or Christmas present
    Etc
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    If he is an avid rider now and wants to race and take his fitness to a new level, then yes, match his funds. So long as he knows that racing and riding is a privilege and his grades and his responsibilities trump any need or want to ride or race.

mtbr member
    A slightly different tact...

Is he mostly done growing? If he is and you feel that the size frame he buys now will be the size he will ride for the next few years, I'd help him out, if I could. If he's still growing and will get a frame he can only ride for a year, make him wait. If he wants it bad enough, he can get it himself. If not, he'll hopefully be getting his adult size frame by the time he can afford it.

Hermit
    If he's really been putting some effort into earning for this new bike...
    If it's within your financial ability to kick in some cash...
    If it will lead to more quality time with your son on the trail, or at the races...

I'd say yes, help him out. He'll be grown before you know it, man. Jump at this chance.

Steve Z
    Pedaling when it's dry
    And paddling when it's wet

My insignificant blog:
    http://swampboy62.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    A year ago my 14 year old wanted a bike. I got lucky and found a great one on ebay for $400. He paid for half of it and I paid the other half.
    We ride together all the time which has made it a great investment. He loves his bike.
    If he's working his butt off, help him out.

mtbr member
    We've decided we're going to supply athletic equipment for our daughter. It's better than supplying Xboxes!! We'll help her try activities and get the right equipment for the ones she's going to stick with. I think it's my responsibility as a parent. As she gets older, we'll start transferring the responsibility to her to replace and update her equipment, but at 14, I expect I'll still be buying the equipment.

If you want your kid to race (and he'll stick with it), support him and get him a bike. Let him keep his money for upgrades and tweaks he may want to make or for other support type stuff like maybe a GPS to track rides.

But that's just me.
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by xanderx View Post
    my 14 year old son has been working his butt off to try to get a new bike, do you guys think i should help him pay for it
    ^This. This part says volumes about your son, and in my opinion, makes this a non-question. He's 14. He is showing responsibility. He is showing motivation. He is showing initiative. Your son sounds like a young man to be proud of.

He wants to race...a difficult endeavor in it's own accord, and he's showing initiative in earning his tool of dominance...

You also say that he is taking care of his older bike...that you undoubtedly bought. He values what he is given and appreciates it.

Had you not said these things about your son, I think that a debate about the merits of when to, and when not to buy things for our children would be warranted. But in this case, I really don't think it is.
    Stay aware of those who hide in plain sight.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

14 year old son

I am 13 and I have had to buy most of my bikes, except for my track bike. If it isn't a financial problem for you I think you should pay half

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I personally would not only help him substantially, I'd put money aside for his entry fees, and hopefully, traveling expenses when he starts kicking ass and taking names.

I probably don't need to say this, but make sure that boy knows you're proud of him. For just doing what he's doing now.

And keep up the good work to you as well.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by skiahh View Post
    We've decided we're going to supply athletic equipment for our daughter. It's better than supplying Xboxes!! We'll help her try activities and get the right equipment for the ones she's going to stick with. I think it's my responsibility as a parent. As she gets older, we'll start transferring the responsibility to her to replace and update her equipment, but at 14, I expect I'll still be buying the equipment.

If you want your kid to race (and he'll stick with it), support him and get him a bike. Let him keep his money for upgrades and tweaks he may want to make or for other support type stuff like maybe a GPS to track rides.

But that's just me.
    I concur Skiahh.

Genius
    Yes.
    "I think im gonna go to walmart and look at the mountain bikes and see if i can salvage the rear frame."- Nick_Knipp 3/21/12

slow but uncoordinated
    Jan 2013
    I have a 14 yr old son. I refuse to spoil him and do my best to let him earn things but when it comes to sports we can share I think of it as a great investment in making memories.

Yappy little dog!
    Quote Originally Posted by skiahh View Post

But that's just me.
    ^^^^^^^^ This!

There are worse things he could "want" or "need" at that age. Kick in the funds and remind him that racing also takes responsibility. He needs to stick with it.

pin it
    Yes help him out.
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend_Maynard View Post
    A slightly different tact...

Is he mostly done growing?
    I don't know of too many kids done growing at 14.
    usually that's when they are growing the most.

i say buy him the bike.
    if he was into hockey or other sports you'd probably buy him what he needed.
    keeping them busy helps keep them out of trouble at that age
    Team Van Go

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by trailtrash View Post
    I don't know of too many kids done growing at 14.
    usually that's when they are growing the most.
    Which is why he should wait to buy an expensive racing bike until he's closer to his full height. If he simply can't wait, he should buy it himself.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend_Maynard View Post
    Which is why he should wait to buy an expensive racing bike until he's closer to his full height. If he simply can't wait, he should buy it himself.
    you could always get him a fairly good used bike which you could turn around and sell when he outgrows it.
    then when he's fully grown maybe he'll have a part time job which will allow him to upgrade or buy something new himself.
    if he doesn't get something desent now he may lose the passion.
    Last edited by trailtrash; 07-09-2013 at 12:30 PM.
    Team Van Go

Hi There!
    My wife and I had only one child specifically so we could give her whatever we could within reason. She's 14 and I say stuff like this to her "yes you can get this, but you better use it" and sometimes "in order to buy this for you we had to work this many hours" or something to that effect. She's a good kid so far, gets good grades, does her chores which we do not pay her to do since no one pays us to do our chores. We also do not give her money for good grades, we make her understand why she should get good grades FOR HERSELF. She does get an allowance. She has her own bank account and ATM card and whenever she gets money for a birthday or christmas or whatever she has to put most of it in the bank. We also teach her for example if she really wants something that we think is over-priced why we refuse to buy it. I guess what I'm saying is heck yes buy him the bike, he sounds like a good kid.
    NTFTC

mtbr member
    When I bought my first 'real' mountain bike in high school, I saved about 2/3 of the cost and my dad kicked in the rest. During that time, so long as my grades were good and I didn't get arrested, he helped me out.

I'm grateful because that bike lead to a job in my local bike shop, which gave me my wrenching skills and got me hooked on riding.

Now I just wish he'd still help me out... my frame cost more than double that first bike.
    The cake is a lie.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
    It all depends on how much the bike costs. If he can not afford most of a $3,000 racing bike, than no, do not buy it.
    He should come up with most of the funds (about 70%) If that means he can't get a super high tech racing bike, then he can't. Also, if he will grow more, why spend thousands of dollars on a bike which he might outgrow in the coming years?
    The basic Trek Superfly Al or 100 Al would be best for any budget at $1900. If he saved up more, the Trek Superfly Al Elite would be good as well. Any carbon fiber bike in my mind would be pointless, as he will most likely outgrow it, and if the frame cracks, that is a lot of money thrown out of the window.
    Everyone needs a dream bike, and if you get that dream bike, you want another and another. That is what he will do no matter what bike he buys.
    Big Wheels Keep On Rolling

Forth Eorlingas!

mtbr member
    Yes.

But, rather than put extra money into his bike fund, consider the extra stuff he might/probably will need. There's always helmets, tubes, spares and tools that he's going to need and probably won't have factored into budget. At 14 he'll probably need a new frame in two years time too (if you're lucky).

These things always stack up, plus if you make sure his bikes always repaired and usable, he'll never have an excuse when you drag him out for a ride...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast