Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Reluctant Tree Hugger

$200 / $2000 What's the difference?

I was showing my boss a picture of my new (to me) bike this afternoon, and she said it looked just like any other $200 bike. Some people might take their Mach 6 and a Mongoose and beat them over the head with each while asking, "Feel the difference?" Oh well. Can't expect everybody to appreciate the craftsmanship of quality bikes.
    Live like there's no tomorrow. But pay your bills just in case there is.

mtbr member
    $1800
    did that without a calculator
    Team Van Go

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by trailtrash View Post
    $1800
    did that without a calculator
    You sir, are a genius.
    =\//-/=

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    yep same thing when I said price they said shit I could bike at walmart for 200.00

mtbr member
    An extra zero.
    "Lock S-Foils in attack position"

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I have a bike thats $400, another bike thats worth $900, and another bike thats $2000ish and I can really say theres a clear difference.

Of course only bikers can tell... Much like how some would say a Rolex is just like a Timex.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    It's like saying a 40 year old women feels the same as a 20 year old women!!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I was talking to someone about mountain bikes and he said, "yeah, some people spend like $2000 on a bike. That's crazy!" I said, "yeah i know." I failed to mention my wheelset cost more than that.
    Small ring in front makes it easier. Small ring in back makes it harder. That blows my mind.

Warrior's Society
    Kinda like showing a non wine drinker a $2 bottle of wine and a $200 bottle of wine.....looks the same to me.

It's all in the perspective.
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

B.Ike
    ^^and yet show the same guy a 40 dollar hooker and a.......

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    My fleet of six bike range from a 1965 Huffy Klunker that was a birthday gift to rides over $3k. They all do the same job, they deliver fun. Showing up at a group ride with a twenty year old Cannondale pickup up from CL for $60 and blasting thru trails and keeping up with the front of the pack is what keeps me coming back for more. The same experiences can be had at just about any price range. Money can't buy skill or speed these are things to be earned the hard way.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    About 10,000$ in medical bills...

mtbr member
    This is like my coworker who drove a BMW and said he couldn't tell any difference between it and his Toyota Corolla.

mtbr member
    If you're out piddle-fissing to the local 7-11 on your $5000 bike, and your $100 bike, you don't notice any difference. Drive a 1000 hp Ferrari down the street and follow the speed limit, there is no difference between it and a Kia other than price.

Of course, as we should all know, its when you take the Ferarri to the local track, and drive it like it's supposed to be driven, the Kia doesn't hold a candle.

Ride both bikes on a rail-trail, and you're better off buying the cheaper bike. Actually RIDE a bike in the mountains, and the need for the price becomes self evident.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by DethWshBkr View Post
    ... Drive a 1000 hp Ferrari down the street and follow the speed limit, there is no difference between it and a Kia other than price.....
    Incorrect. With the Ferrari, any nearby women's panties magically fall off even when cruising by at the speed limit. Never seen a Kia pull that off (pun intended).

Reluctant Tree Hugger
    ...or a Corolla.

mtbr member
    The more I spend, the better I ride - often the all powerful placebo effect, I expect. But I can say with confidence that my later model RIP9 with 140mm TA fork was far more composed eating chunk than the earlier RIP9 (round tube) frame with a QR fork. Nothin' placebo about that.

P.S. Unfortunately, it's not a babe magnet
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

Reluctant Tree Hugger
    It almost makes me want to buy a Mongoose from Craigslist just so I'll have a physical example to illustrate the difference when people say they're all the same.

*Unrelated note, my phone just autocorrected Craigslist to Crapshoot. Funny but kind of appropriate.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I refuse to tell any non biking person how much I spent on my bike. Kind of tired of seeing the "wtf" look and feeling the need to explain myself.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SmittyPDX View Post
    I refuse to tell any non biking person how much I spent on my bike. Kind of tired of seeing the "wtf" look and feeling the need to explain myself.
    ^THIS^

I was at pool last year, and a guy (sort of a friend) was asking me about bikes - you know... the "Hey, I'm thinking about buying a bike" guy. He said "I mean, I'm not looking to ride in the Tour de France or anything, I know they can go over $1,000" I'm thinking "Uhm, like for a fork?" I did not tell him what my Cannonade Scalpel cost... or the SRM crank on my road bike, or the...
    Mountain bikers who don't road ride are usually slow.
    Roadies who don't mountain bike are usually d***s.

unrooted
    People are always trying to get my opinion on a bike to buy, and they tell me they want to spend UP TO $2,000 and i have to tell them that I'm the wrong person to talk to. . .for some reason I can ride the shit out of a $500 bike, but still can't recommend anything with less than SLX and a rock shox pike fork, guess I'm a snob.

Anytime someone questions the difference between my bike and a department store bike I try to explain to them about weight, and aluminum vs stamped steel, some get it and some people shop at Costco. . .
    195 lbs-6'4" Banshee Prime XL
    Ride Mammoth, Tahoe & Vegas

PLEASE GIVE ME NEGATIVE REP!

mtbr member
    The difference between a $200 bike and a $2000 one?
    If you have to ask, nothing.

MaverickMotoMedia.com
    My first mountain bike was a $600 Specialized Hardrock 29 Disc. Within the first 6 months, what I spent on repairs, both warrantied and non, i could have easily bought a $1600 bike that would have been far more durable. when I built my 9:Zero:7, i used the best components i could afford, in my case, XT or better. After a year and 2500 miles, I've replaced a set of grips, 2 chains and a cassette, for about $200. Thanks to our friend Sunnyday, i've become the bike snob poster boy, but in all honesty, I've spec'ed higher grade components, not because I'm flush with cash and lord that over others; rather, I'm parsimoniously cheap and i'd rather spend money on product that lasts, than spend it on on cheap crap that doesn't hold up and labor, over and over again to make it right. you get what you pay for, and cheaper doesn't necessarily cost less in the long run.
    Maverick Moto Media Motorcycles, Mountain Biking & Social Media Mgt
    Facebook Twitter Instagram

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SmittyPDX View Post
    I refuse to tell any non biking person how much I spent on my bike.
    Those who understand, already know. Those who don't know, wouldn't understand.

T.W.O.
    Keep it to yourself next time, and don't tell her if and when you are considering a $1500 wheelset

First time buyers usually get sticker shock.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast