Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

$15,522.11 sticker

$15,522.11 is what I have spent on mountain bike parts just at universalcycles.com's web site in the past 6 years. I can only assume this number will double or triple throwing in ebay, amazon, lbs, craigslist, pinkbike and MTBR in which I have bought countless frames, components and clothing from. I'm beginning to wonder if I have a problem or if this is typical spending for your average mountain biker...? Is it normal to want to try every frame that has ever been made, every dropper post on the market, all the multicolored gadgets that scream out at me in every issue of mountain bike action magazine? To me, this is normal, this is how I get through my week, month or year...Spending (almost) every penny I own on something that will propel my smiling face through the woods at a high rate of speed; buying the latest and greatest golden gizmo that will give me the edge over my few buddies that can find the time to ride with me....Yes I have a spending problem, buy that'$ ok. I just wish universalcycles would send me a sticker every once and awhile....
    "too weird to live, too rare to die"

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Right? Or stock options... But hey, you could be spending it on hookers and blow... If you like it and its not hurting anyone, why is it a problem?

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I heard on the radio today that the average women spends 15k ($20k roughly) in a life time on make up! Friggin make up!

I reckon your spending could almost be classed as sensible compared to that.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    That comes out to about $215 per month, which is essentially a base-model Kia payment. Just think of how much more fun, excitement, and exercise you get with your MTB hobby than anyone does with their Kia.

Good, green, Oregon.
    Quote Originally Posted by slapmackie View Post
    Yes I have a spending problem, buy that's ok.
    I loved this little slip right here....bolded by me. I'm sure the word was supposed to be "but", instead it came out as "buy" from the guy with the self-diagnosed spending problem. I love it!

You know, I think many of us are in a similar boat as you OP, but the difference is that some of us would rather not see a total amount like that. Out of sight, out of mind. But good for you for spending your monies on what I see as very worth while items.....bike gear! As previously mentioned, much better than hookers and blow!
    - "The true object of all human life is play" - GK Chesterton
    - 2014 Giant Trance 27.5 1
    - Team Dirt - Build It. Ride It.

mtbr member
    Try boating, you will feel much better about your spending problem!

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    if you are not neglecting any family members and you are happy to be riding its hard to put a price on happiness. if you used nothing but credit and were struggling to make payments i would say its time to slack off. ask anyone that's involved in hunting, fishing, diving, etc and i guarantee its not close to what some spend. shoot people that smoke 2 packs a day are spending that in one year. there are many ways to make you feel better. just control how many kids you make and your happy riding days could last forever.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Over last 6 years? Probably about 20K overall, including kids bikes and trailers. It went from my moonlight consulting account.. I do not drink, smoke or gamble. And I did put aside a kids college fund for both of them over this time, so I do not think it was excessive..

Compared to many other popular hobbies bicycling is cheap. How much a single nice motorcycle with 6 years worth of insurance would cost? How about an off-roader or a boat? Golf course fees..

Important part is not get into debt and not to ignore retirement etc. Know where you are.

human dehumidifier
    that seems like a lot but having said that I wouldn't want to see the tab I've run up either

I've got a $700 shopping car saved at Universal now ... I keep looking at it but haven't pushed the button yet.
    But if you close your eyes it becomes so easy to see

PRETENDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy1983 View Post
    That comes out to about $215 per month, which is essentially a base-model Kia payment. Just think of how much more fun, excitement, and exercise you get with your MTB hobby than anyone does with their Kia.
    Years ago (before Id ever heard of the car manufacturer called Kia) I had a girlfriend named Kia, and she was a lot of fun, exciting, and you could say we got lots of exercise of sorts together. I think I may have spent more than $215 per month on her though.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker View Post
    Years ago (before Id ever heard of the car manufacturer called Kia) I had a girlfriend named Kia, and she was a lot of fun, exciting, and you could say we got lots of exercise of sorts together. I think I may have spent more than $215 per month on her though.

Pics or it didn't happen.

I like bikes
    That's nothing, try a motor-sport. That get's spendy fast.

Look at the time!
    Still cheaper than many other hobbies. Plenty of people spend more than that on parts that make their car look cooler, and you can't even see most of those when you are driving it, so...
    wanted: Cannondale Lefty w/ V-brake studs

mtbr member
    I would not begrudge a single penny of that six year spend. There are thousands and thousands of bad things to spend your discretionary income on...mountain biking doesn't sniff that list.

I made a post on this forum last November when I returned to mountain biking after a long hiatus. I posted that mountain biking could very well be the perfect sport as it has the rare combination of three vital things:

Thrill
    Skill
    Fitness

Few other activities combine two of those...even fewer combine all three. Mountain biking is a great place to put your mental energy, physical energy, and discretionary income
    I live with fear and danger every day. And on the weekends she lets me go mountain biking.

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011

Re: $15,522.11 sticker

You're fine. Of all the places money goes, sure, you could have donated it; but mountain biking is good.

Only 5 lives left
    I've never kept track of my cycling expenditures over the last 30 years. But judging by the amount of used parts I have it must be quite the tidy sum.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by slapmackie View Post
    $15,522.11 is what I have spent on mountain bike parts just at universalcycles.com's web site in the past 6 years. I can only assume this number will double or triple throwing in ebay, amazon, lbs, craigslist, pinkbike and MTBR in which I have bought countless frames, components and clothing from. I'm beginning to wonder if I have a problem or if this is typical spending for your average mountain biker...? Is it normal to want to try every frame that has ever been made, every dropper post on the market, all the multicolored gadgets that scream out at me in every issue of mountain bike action magazine? To me, this is normal, this is how I get through my week, month or year...Spending (almost) every penny I own on something that will propel my smiling face through the woods at a high rate of speed; buying the latest and greatest golden gizmo that will give me the edge over my few buddies that can find the time to ride with me....Yes I have a spending problem, buy that'$ ok. I just wish universalcycles would send me a sticker every once and awhile....
    30 years from now, The Pickers will be going through all your bike stuff and pay twice that amount.

mtbr member

Re: $15,522.11 sticker

Don't think of it as just money spent on bikes and parts, but rather money on a type of lifestyle you live, memories, events, a hobby and also fitness gained. That's the many things biking has brought to my life. I don't dare add up my bike expenditures.

Now, THAT'S gonna hurt!
    Quote Originally Posted by likeaboss View Post
    Try boating, you will feel much better about your spending problem!

LMAO!

Having a 24' Offshore Boat and a 17' Bass / Duck Hunting boat, this sruck a chord!

Fresh fish costs me about $750 a pound but it tastes oh so good!

Big Gulps, Alright!
    I used to look at bike magazines and see all this stuff that I WANT. Now I look at them and see all this stuff that I already HAD.

Trail Ninja
    Girls go shopping for clothes, shoes, purses, and fashion accessories, while guys go shopping for lean and mean things with power and speed, which revs with the sound of awesome.

mtbr member
    nah, this hobby is better for your health then others.

PRETENDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy1983 View Post
    Pics or it didn't happen.
    Sorry, long enough ago that it would require using a flatbed scanner to scan in her photo. Were talking the early 1990s here.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinGT View Post
    Thrill
    Skill
    Fitness

..even fewer combine all three.
    Rock climbing, skateboarding - couple others I like... cheaper too..

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Op. Feed your passion man, my wife just busted my balls cause I just spent 4300 on a MOUNTAIN bike when we live in Kansas and I already have 3 other mountain bikes. My other passion is soccer, I pay 65 per team every five weeks. I play on 3 teams but it makes me happy. I actually respect your ability to buy like that, it keeps the industry going for the less spenders like me. My retirement is good and debt comes and goes(3 in day care, wife's a teacher and I'm a comcast tech). I'll buy your used parts so you can buy new! Buy on and ride on!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast