Thread: Riding in Egypt

caninus xerophilous

Riding in Egypt

Just saw the post about UAE and saw that the MTB movement in Egypt has finally taken off. Thats great! Egypt has some amazing rides, scenery, and most importantly beautiful people.

I rode there from 94-02 and there were a few members of the Cairo Cyclist that rode MTB's. I befriended a few and we pioneered much of Wadi Digla and Wadi Hof. We rode Fayoum, the pyramid route (Giza to Miedum or whatever it is), all over the Nile Delta, and even did urban assault rides through Old Cairo ending up at the Khan El Khalili sometimes. Also did the Red Sea Monestary Death March and even rode a bit down in Qusier.

I used to do big rides in the Sinai with my Bedouin freinds, oasis to oasis trans desert stuff, DH'd Mt Sinai and Gebel Katrina. We used to base out of Niewbwa, Dahab, and Sharm often, and the Aqaba Coast of the Sinai remains one of my all time favorite places to ride.

Anyhow I checked out the MTB Egypt site and its great to see the locals out enjoying their treasures.

Please post up some pics! I really miss it all very much, the desert and the people.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Hello,

I just moved to Cairo and starting to MTB again, been out to Wadi Gigla and Hof a few times... Do you happen to have any GPS tracks of your rides, or anyone out there for that matter..?
    Thx