mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Riders in Hawaii

Hey all ! I'm looking for a few riding buddies in Hawaii. I live on Oahu close to north shore, if anyone out there needs a good riding partner email me. I'm looking to start going 2-3 times per week.
    I'm a pretty experienced rider, more than my surfing skills that's for sure.

Lemme Know

Justin

~~~~~~~~
    Hey Justin,
    I'm over on Maui, probably won't be doing in riding over there soon, but it's good to see Hawaii riders visiting MTBR. My experience has been that the local riders just aren't using the internet. We have a Yahoo message board for Maui, mostly roadies, and use has fizzled to nothing lately. The DHHawaii.com message board gets some action. Maybe summer will be better.

Seems just showing up at the trails or asking at the shops is the best bet. Please keep posting here anyway, let us know what's going on on Oahu. If we get enough users MTBR will add a Hawaii forum.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Smile MTBR user for life

Hey Eric, yeah, I've used MTBR for years now. I've met new riders in Idaho, Wyoming, Colorado. A friend of mine put together a gathering in Wyoming years ago, and I've been using the site ever since.
    Hopefully I'll run into some riders over here, I went out hiking yesterday and found a sweet downhill, right along a ridgeline, and right off the trail there's a swimming pool with a waterfall. I'm stoked now!
    Cheers

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Maui riding

Quote Originally Posted by EricH.
    Hey Justin,
    I'm over on Maui, probably won't be doing in riding over there soon, but it's good to see Hawaii riders visiting MTBR. My experience has been that the local riders just aren't using the internet. We have a Yahoo message board for Maui, mostly roadies, and use has fizzled to nothing lately. The DHHawaii.com message board gets some action. Maybe summer will be better.

Seems just showing up at the trails or asking at the shops is the best bet. Please keep posting here anyway, let us know what's going on on Oahu. If we get enough users MTBR will add a Hawaii forum.
    I'm going to Hawaii on my honeymoon, and I can't bring my bike. Does anyone know a decent bike shop to rent a bike for a day. Everything I've seen on cycling in Maui has been either roadie, or a silly road downhill on a comfort bike. Surely there is some singletrack. Can any locals point me in the right direction?

two tired
    Mar 2004

Idea! Where're the trails? Crazy Idea

I've been to the Big Island several times, even spending a month once. Driving around paradise started me thinking. There are vast lava fields scattered around the island. Some are Aa (pronounced aa-aa) some are Pahoehoe. BOTH could make for some epic technical trails. One concern might be the effect Aa has on tires (and braking rims); it's essentially glass foam. Body armour might be nec. too. Kona side, you'd wanna ride in the morning or evening/night.

BUT - talking to a LBS dude, I learned that access to the land is the big issue - maybe fueled by liability concerns. Maybe I am missing something, but land that was lost and is basically valueless (monitarily - we won't get spritual in this discussion) could turn a buck or two for the hapless owners. I know that locals feel like the tourist is taking Hawaii away from them, but that wouldn't need to happen.

I propose a cooperative between land owners and "trail managers". The trail mgr would lead rides on and through interesting and exotic (and maybe sensitive) lava fields. The owners would grant permission to ride on their land, provided the trails were maintained, corridors respected, and problems avoided. This is low-impact tourism. There could be rides for the novice and the expert. Solo rides could be allowed in some situations / locations, provided a rider bought a permit (at a higher rate) and the trail mgr retained responsibility for the health of the trail. Each rider would pay $10-20 for the priviledge of riding on sacred ground. The mgrs would be answerable to the owners, the mgrs would get no more than the owners, with a third cut towards operation costs, like porta-potties.
    Additionally, if the trail mgrs were also renting bikes, then the land owners should get a cut of the rental proceeds.

I believe that there are ample "ride-at-your-own-risk" liability precedents to protect the owners. I went horseback riding in Maui, and I signed my life and health away. If the horse had bitten my head off and I slowly bled to death, I had acknowledged that some risk existed by signing a legal document.

I would happily pay $20 in addition to the rental for a bike to get ride that bike on some amazing Hawaiian singletrack/slickrock. This is a first-pass sketching out of this idea - someone check my math. Am I missing something? This seems doable.

Nuthin to gain, 'cept killer riding next time I'm in HI...
    nullman
    Vashon Is. WA

~~~~~~~~
    Quote Originally Posted by jefe
    I'm going to Hawaii on my honeymoon, and I can't bring my bike. Does anyone know a decent bike shop to rent a bike for a day. Everything I've seen on cycling in Maui has been either roadie, or a silly road downhill on a comfort bike. Surely there is some singletrack. Can any locals point me in the right direction?
    Jefe, PM or email me.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

GreatSpiritz

Quote Originally Posted by brodyhead
    Hey all ! I'm looking for a few riding buddies in Hawaii. I live on Oahu close to north shore, if anyone out there needs a good riding partner email me. I'm looking to start going 2-3 times per week.

Lemme Know

Justin
    Good to know you I'm in Wahiawa area maybe we can ride. My riding skill somewhat moderate.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by brodyhead

Lemme Know

Justin
    Bummer u bra arnt on da beeg eiland bra! Wee got da bad trail heer in da nord Kohalla man! Like tolly keek u in da arse bra! Mahn, weiked! Ang loose.

Thats peigon for:
    Such a shame you are not located on the Big Island, bro. We have ourselves here in the region of North Kohalla the "Kings Trail" and "The Seven Valleys". It is; as a matter of fact "totally wicked" it will "kick you in the a$$". Oh yes and, Hang Loose.

@#&* I wish I could be back there again... Oh to dream... Thinking of 3 months of endless bliss and my bike, endless trails and the tanned girls.... (sigh)

Good Luck finding a partner man... Wish it was me
    Bummer I'm in friggin' cold Germany... Hey the Beer is great though!!