Thread: Rapleje, MT

mtbr member

Rapleje, MT

Ok, what's the story here? Last year in the IMBA newsletter they had a little blurb about Rapleje saying "Near-ghost town revives by building trails, hosting a 24-hour race." They had an email address for more info. I emailed asking for more info. The mail didn't bounce and I never received a reply. I was trying to talk a friend of mine into going to Rapleje with me to check it out, in hopes of planning a future group trip there. A few people said, "What?! Are you crazy? Rapleje?!" Then another friend drove through there and emailed me pictures of the area. I thought it was a joke. I've been assured those pictures are real. Ha! Someone played a good joke on us (and IMBA)???

Salad Days

rapelje

Quote Originally Posted by JustDoIt
    Ok, what's the story here? Last year in the IMBA newsletter they had a little blurb about Rapleje saying "Near-ghost town revives by building trails, hosting a 24-hour race." They had an email address for more info. I emailed asking for more info. The mail didn't bounce and I never received a reply. I was trying to talk a friend of mine into going to Rapleje with me to check it out, in hopes of planning a future group trip there. A few people said, "What?! Are you crazy? Rapleje?!" Then another friend drove through there and emailed me pictures of the area. I thought it was a joke. I've been assured those pictures are real. Ha! Someone played a good joke on us (and IMBA)???

As far as I know the race did happen, and has been going for a couple of years now. I live in Bozeman MT and we had flyers at the shop about it. I saw the website for it too last summer.

Just some dude.
    Jan 2004

Rapelje is sweet

We ran a three man team at the 24-hour race there two years ago (and won!) The people in the town are super cool, and they all come out for the race. Some of the coolest things I saw or heard at the race:

Old guys in coveralls deep frying steaks on pitchforks for us.
    Midnight pancake feed in the Cafe (the only business in town)
    A sweet old lady offering use of her shower to very wet and muddy racers
    Coffee and breakfast with the locals in the cafe in the morning.
    Everyone set up tents in the city park (a mowed field) and camped and partied

It rained sometime during the night and my last lap took 3 hours (dry laps were taking 45-50 minutes). I stumbled into a girl in the dark (both our lights have given up by then) and we pushed and pulled and cleaned the mud off of each other's bikes. It was gnarly. I plan on doing it solo this year, but haven't heard any details on a race date yet. It's worth mentioning that they also hold a road race (spring) and an off road 100 miler (fall).

I've sent email to the Rapelje address before and not received a reply for months. I think they don't really do much until it's time to start planning for the race, then they reply to emails, etc.

If you want to ride there, just go. Stop in the Cafe, have a bite to eat, buy a 24-hour race Tshirt, and the locals who are unbelievably friendly will tell you where the trails are.

Just some dude.
    Jan 2004

Might as well post some pics

Pic 1: Deep fried steaks at 8:00 AM
    Pic 2: Muddy wheels that were abandoned on the course in the night
    Pic 3: A shot of my team and a mud clogged bike
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member

yellowstone valley cycling club :

http://www.imt.net/~yvcc/

link to the fine folks who put this race together.

later, Chad
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    http://redbarnbicycles.com/

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Good job! Rapleje, Montana

Quote Originally Posted by JustDoIt
    haha i lived in Rapleje, Montana for a while!! I absolutley loved it there. They did have the 24 hour race but not while I was there. If you get a chance you should definetly go there someday. Those pics are real, that's Rapleje. It's a great little townCould you post more pictures of it? Thanks!

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Rapleje, Montana

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Montana
    We ran a three man team at the 24-hour race there two years ago (and won!) The people in the town are super cool, and they all come out for the race. Some of the coolest things I saw or heard at the race:

Old guys in coveralls deep frying steaks on pitchforks for us.
    Midnight pancake feed in the Cafe (the only business in town)
    A sweet old lady offering use of her shower to very wet and muddy racers
    Coffee and breakfast with the locals in the cafe in the morning.
    Everyone set up tents in the city park (a mowed field) and camped and partied

It rained sometime during the night and my last lap took 3 hours (dry laps were taking 45-50 minutes). I stumbled into a girl in the dark (both our lights have given up by then) and we pushed and pulled and cleaned the mud off of each other's bikes. It was gnarly. I plan on doing it solo this year, but haven't heard any details on a race date yet. It's worth mentioning that they also hold a road race (spring) and an off road 100 miler (fall).

I've sent email to the Rapelje address before and not received a reply for months. I think they don't really do much until it's time to start planning for the race, then they reply to emails, etc.

If you want to ride there, just go. Stop in the Cafe, have a bite to eat, buy a 24-hour race Tshirt, and the locals who are unbelievably friendly will tell you where the trails are.
    I lived in Rapleje, Montana for a few weeks this summer. My aunt works at the cafe. I love the people there, they are all very friendly. It's such a cute little town everyone is so close. My grandma has a ranch on the road to town about 10 miles from the cafe. She lives up on a hill and you can see all the little houses and the cafe from her front window. I love MT but unfortunetly I live in Washington DC.

TEAM TOPEAK - ERGON

I've been there!

I drove out to Rapelje this year from Iowa (15 hrs in the car) to rage the 24 Hour race solo. It's a special place to ride, cause it is different that everyother place to mountain bike. There are NO trees, but there are cactus. There aren't many people, but there are lots of bunnies on the course. The course is simmilar to Laguna Seca in Monterey, CA where they have Sea Otter every year. It's wide open with lots of rollers. The course and town sit in a valley, so you can see miles and miles in every direction, plus you can see 4 mountain ranges if I remember right. This isn't someplace to plan a mountain bike vacation, but rather a place to swing on by off the I-90 to ride for the day. The cafe kicks butt, and the food rules. The people that live in the town are really, really nice, and will go out of the way to make you stay special. Check it out if you are in the Billings area.