mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Puerto Rico ~ riding/groups?

I may be visiting Puerto Rico this summer. I was just wondering how the riding is like over there. I know the island is pretty densely populated. Are there still spots for mnt biking left? (I've never been there and have researched just a little.) if there is riding, is it worth it for me to bring my bike, or just rent one there? What are the outdoor activities like there? (i.e. are there a lot or is it pretty much city-life?) I have to make my decision soon for this trip. Please let me know. Also, are there any local bike groups/people that I could hook up with for a ride or two?
    Thanks. ~joy

mtbr member

PM DirtDevil

Quote Originally Posted by BikeAddict
    I may be visiting Puerto Rico this summer. I was just wondering how the riding is like over there. I know the island is pretty densely populated. Are there still spots for mnt biking left? (I've never been there and have researched just a little.) if there is riding, is it worth it for me to bring my bike, or just rent one there? What are the outdoor activities like there? (i.e. are there a lot or is it pretty much city-life?) I have to make my decision soon for this trip. Please let me know. Also, are there any local bike groups/people that I could hook up with for a ride or two?
    Thanks. ~joy
    Dirt devil lives and races there. he knows the spots to ride. Where are you going in Puerto Rico. I live in Indianapolis, but grew up in San Juan. I went on vacation there last march and checked out some trails. let me know where you anre going tto ride so I can point you in the right direction. If you ride in the south/ south west of the island, you need tubeless with hard rubber with stans of lots of slime due to thorns.

Enjoy...
    Sit and spin my ass...

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Thanks, "Rasta" for the advice. Do you by chance have any pictures of the mtb terrain or know of good websites that would? Also, would I need to bring my bike or could I rent over there? I don't know how transportation will work either. Basically I have a friend who works on the military base (wherever that is) and I'd be staying near there. I'm not very familiar with Puerto Rico or the terrain. My friend says the area is similair to Hawaii but with a different population (of course). Would you agree? Any good bikeshops to go to or contact down there? Thanks so much for responding. Any pictures or the area, etc would be greatly appreciated. I am still deciding if it's worth it for me to quit my summer teachign job to go. Thanks again for all your help. ~joy

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    hello I speak little English but i will try to do my best.

Puerto Rico has many trails but the best ones for my are: monagas in BAYAMON PR to 10 minutes of San Juan and the Olympic Albergue in SALINAS PR to 40 minutes of San Juan. In monagas Bayamon is a forest with many roots good technical routes greates downhill this is my favourite. In Salinas the land is like a deserted this route is well fast and believe you needed much water. Here almost all speak English or try like me.
    Last edited by samy2222red; 06-04-2007 at 07:56 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    For rent a bike call: Hot dog cicling 787-791-0776
    ciclomundo 787-763-4369
    bike shop-782-2282

i dont know if those store rent bike but call and asks

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    There are LOTS of places to ride here in PR. Most MTB trails are local trails and basically loops made for racing so 7-9km is the norm, on the SW corner of the island there are trails that connect adjacent towns and offer the posibilities of longer rides 40km+ with minimal pavement sections. Also, I read somewhere that on the NE corner of the island there are longer trails also. Go to this site www.cmtbpr.com , there are forums there, join and ask questions im sure youll receive LOTS of help.

I live in the Metro area and ironically for such a well developed area there is an excellent park thats like a playground for MTB offering tight rooty single track through woods, rocky uphill / downhills with some serious drops. Several trails can be ridden, pick and choose. Its called Monagas, short for Julio Monagas Park, also called Equestrian Park, its in Bayamon, about 10-15min from the tourist areas in san juan.