Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    38

    Puerto Rico in April

    Is there good riding trails, single track, in Puerto Rico?
    Quality rental bikes?
    Cost?


    I知 looking at the 1st wk in April, I値l be there for 5 days and would like to get a ride in. If anyone has any Info. That would be great!

    Thx

  2. #2
    balance_fit
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    326
    Quote Originally Posted by Edemption42
    Is there good riding trails, single track, in Puerto Rico?
    Quality rental bikes?
    Cost?


    I知 looking at the 1st wk in April, I値l be there for 5 days and would like to get a ride in. If anyone has any Info. That would be great!

    Thx
    Hi there ! Glad you're coming home. Oh yes, we got some good trails here. Where in PR will you be staying? If you're to be in the San Juan area, there's a good riding spot at just 20 mins driving time. From SJ, also, we have a couple of good trails at 45 and 60 mins driving time.

    Regarding rentals i will have to ask around but surely a good bike will show up. Any pointers that could help me when i ask my buddies here? FS, HT, 29er? For how long?

    Will keep in touch,

    jd
    Simple, not easy.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    2
    The demanding climbs are rewarded by steep and molded descents, which in many occasions surprise you with spectacular views of the Atlantic Ocean.

    contemporary furniture | modern lounge chairs

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    347

    Cerro gordo?

    Hey guys, is Cerro Gordo still in good shape? How are the trails in Toro Verde? I guess they charge to ride there even if you bring your own bike?

    Other than Cerro Gordo, and toto verde, what would you recommend? I hear Monagas is usually pretty messy? Isn't there soome desrt riding near the olympic training center?

    Thanks, headed back down in 4 weeks and bringing my bike

  5. #5
    balance_fit
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    326
    Quote Originally Posted by velez3000
    Hey guys, is Cerro Gordo still in good shape? How are the trails in Toro Verde? I guess they charge to ride there even if you bring your own bike?

    Other than Cerro Gordo, and toto verde, what would you recommend? I hear Monagas is usually pretty messy? Isn't there soome desrt riding near the olympic training center?

    Thanks, headed back down in 4 weeks and bringing my bike
    Hi there !

    Cerro Gordo is in great shape, although some downhills have been eroded by rain. The sandy terrain makes it perfect for riding in the next few months rainy season.

    I tried Toro Verde last weekend and the trails were closed due to rain..must call them to find out in advance!

    Monagas...ah...i had excellent, absolutely dry riding there for several sessions last week. This week has been nonstop rain, so, no Monagas unless you want to ride the bunker loop and the climb to the tower. For me, the singletrack there is dangerous when wet.

    Near the olympic center, really at the other side of the expressway, i minute from the olympic ctr entrance, there is Los Pinchos trail. Flowy, maintained and marked. Don't miss it ! But, don't forget your Stan's sealant. Absolutely necessary there.

    Let us know when you are about to get to PR. May be able to escape work for a couple of rides.

    jd
    Simple, not easy.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    347

    Awesome!

    Yeah, My buddy tells me Monagas is terrible muddy! I'm bringing my Single speed and I'll make sure to bring some fresh stans for the tires because I really want to ride los pinchos . The trails at Toro verde looked cool, hope I get to ride them.

    That's another great thing about cerro gordo. I got caught in a aguacero there and the trails were fine once it was done

    I'll send you a PM before I come down. Will be there 5/27-6/8 and have a buddy that lives there that I'll make him dust off his old Cannondale!

    thanks again

  7. #7
    balance_fit
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    326
    Quote Originally Posted by velez3000
    Yeah, My buddy tells me Monagas is terrible muddy! I'm bringing my Single speed and I'll make sure to bring some fresh stans for the tires because I really want to ride los pinchos . The trails at Toro verde looked cool, hope I get to ride them.

    That's another great thing about cerro gordo. I got caught in a aguacero there and the trails were fine once it was done

    I'll send you a PM before I come down. Will be there 5/27-6/8 and have a buddy that lives there that I'll make him dust off his old Cannondale!

    thanks again
    Truly muddy ! A shame, because Monagas, when dry, is truly fun !

    Awesome ! I'll contact other singlespeed buddies so we can ride the loop at Pinchos at SS pace. I ride a 33x20 on my steel 29er there without issue, athough, still, a good workout ! The trail keeper at Pinchos is going to open a new uphill section to challenge us all .... after finishing our rides, the beers and pinchos at the stand are unbeatable !

    I'll wait for your PM so we can get together and ride.

    jd
    Simple, not easy.

  8. #8
    balance_fit
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    326
    After a very dry period, Monagas was at it's best last weekend....no mud, wet slippery roots, nada to make one slip. I even made a sketchy downhill section that otherwise i don't even consider...had a blast and rode until my ss legs were jell-o.
    It's raining....back to pinchos this wknd, will post a review!
    Simple, not easy.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    347

    can't wait!

    Putting the final touches on rebuilding my SS and will be down there in 2 weeks! I know even if it rains that Cerro gordo will drain. looking forward to trying pinchos. I'll have 2 scoops of stans in each tire

  10. #10
    balance_fit
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    326
    Quote Originally Posted by velez3000 View Post
    Putting the final touches on rebuilding my SS and will be down there in 2 weeks! I know even if it rains that Cerro gordo will drain. looking forward to trying pinchos. I'll have 2 scoops of stans in each tire
    Hi there ! Did you change the date of your trip to PR ? Only Pinchos and possibly Cerro Gordo (if you can make it past La Plata river) would be rideable...
    Simple, not easy.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    3
    nice

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •