mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Moving to costa rica

Hello,
    I'm an avid Mntn biker who prefers single track. I've been doing a lot of searching online for a place to live in costa rica where my girlfriend can do her scuba diving and I can mountain bike to my hearts content. I would prefer mountainous terrain with grueling climbs. So far what I can find is very limited. If anyone has any good info I would really appreciate it. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Sorry to tel you but there is hardly any single track in Costa Rica.
    There is single track made by the farmers and locals to walk between their farms and comunities , but not ridable on a Mt bike except for some short sections , very rough, muddy, rocky,good for Motorcycle enduro bikes.

There are only 2 places in the whole country made for Mountainbiking.
    One in Orotina near Jaco beach (30 miles) quite technical not too much climbing and about 1 and a half hours long maximum.extremely hot weather though.

Another my friends and I made in Colon , near San Jose (20 miles) you can ride for 4 hrs, all single track, long climbs, some technical sections, lots of fun, and not as hot as the coast, we have a guy with full salary working on the trails every day, and we need more people to colaborate, so if you are interested let me know.

motoadve@racsa.co.cr
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Thanks for the info bro. I was actually looking at Jaco due the the fact the my girlfriend will be looking for work as a scuba divemaster. I will be in costa rica in the end of Oct for about 2 weeks and I will definately check out your trails. When I end up moving there I will be all about helping you out with the trails!
    Are there any bike shops in the area of do you do your own maintenance and order parts on-line?
    Once again, thanks for the info and I will be keeping in touch with you!

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Lots of good shops in San Jose area.
    Good prices too.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Well man, it seems my plans have suddenly shifted. It looks like i might be heading to the Dominican Republic instead. Thanks for the info and if I ever end up traveling to Costa Rica I will get in touch for a couple days of riding!
    Thanks again!

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    ok no problem