mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Moving from Asheville to Montana

I'm headed to Montana, just south of Glacier NP for the summer. Is there any good riding nearby? I am not familiar with the area at all but Im looking forward to exploring.

Salad Days
    Quote Originally Posted by dmacken
    I'm headed to Montana, just south of Glacier NP for the summer. Is there any good riding nearby? I am not familiar with the area at all but Im looking forward to exploring.
    Good riding in Whitefish-Kallispell area at Spencer lake, and the Pig Farm. Lots of bridges and drops at Spensor, miles of singletrack at the Pig Farm. The local shops will send you in the right direction.

mtbr member
    if you can go to big mt. in whitefish it has some of the best riding in that area

or if you realy want to go some where go to missoula tons of riding here

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Your kidding right?

Quote Originally Posted by Gomer
    if you can go to big mt. in whitefish it has some of the best riding in that area

or if you realy want to go some where go to missoula tons of riding here
    I grew up in the Flathead and would never suggest Big Mtn as a prime example for what the valley has to offer unless you are out to spend you time with the tourists and want to get a good view of Glacier that has been published in every magazine. Do not get me wrong the trail are good and the view is top notch but the Spencers, the Pig Farm, Talley Lake Desert Mtn. etc. are far better samples of the singletrack available to riders in the Flathead. Check out Glacier Cyclery for some good advice on local rides as well as potential for evening group rides. I have also heard that Bike Right across from the Sportsman Ski Haus in Kalispell is doing a lot for cyclists these days.

If your are in to epics round up a partner and knock out the Columbia Ridge Trail starting at Strawberry Lake and heading North. You will be in for a true ride of your life. Also make sure you squeeze in the Full moon ride over Logan pass there really is no other way to take in Going to Sun pass in my opinion. Start at Avalanche Lake Campground at 10:00-12:00 at night ride to the top rest up and ride down as the morning sun begins to rise. Bring extra clothes you will get cold comming down.

The Flathead has some amazing things to offer the outdoor junkie...at times it is hard to choose what not to do. Keep in mind there is a lot of great riding that does not see heavy traffice so ride with others or let them know where you are going. I have had several run ins with Bears over the years on my bike. In general they are just as scared of you as you are of them but always be prepared and keep you wits about you.