Thread: Maine?

My bike was -TWO- Wheels!

Maine?

Anyone from Maine in here?
    Schwinn Moab DS3 Avids, Rhyno Lites, Speed Dials, Some other stuff.
    Homebrew flat black rigid commuter with a Shockster
    Gary Fisher BMX
    Get Avid Juicy 7's for 65% off!!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Used to live there. Some good rides 4sure!

Lived there back in '99 to '00. Lived in mid-coast Maine - Belfast. Nice town. Anyway, I rode all sorts of stuff. My favorite was the Snowbowl in Camden. It has bad ass climbs/descents/technical sections. Take a while to dry out in spring, but worth the wait. Others in my top ten are:

- Maine Sport Outfitters in Camden (short tight network of trails in back of the shop - fun terrain, guys at the shop would change it up once in a while)
    - Camden Hills state park (killer singletrack loop off the main snowmobile trail)
    - Pleasant Mountain outside Warren. (mostly jeep roads, lot of rocky terrain, hard but rewarding climb up and over Mt. Pleasant.
    - Mt. Waldo near Winterport. It's that big chunck of granite between Searsport and Bangor on Hwy. 1A. (again mostly jeep roads, insane climb up Mt. Waldo, overheat the brake pads descent). ATVs frequent the area. Climb up to the quarry wasnt' worth it for me.
    - Frye Mountain west of Belfast. In Frye Mt. Game Preserve. Nice area. Mixed fire roads, jeep roads, ATV trails. ATVs frequent the area. Obviously stay away during hunting season.
    - Caribou Bog/Bangor Dump/Swamp. Just west of that big mall in Bangor. Gravel roads. Nice singletrack through dense/moist/pine forests.
    - Acadia carriage roads. Bar Harbor. Endless mileage. Nice groomed gravel roads. Best views in the state. A nice long loop with serious elevation gains and descents can be put together. Don't let the crowds keep you away. Pick a loop that gets you away from the parking lots that people walk from, and you'll be by yourself for miles.

Where do you live, and what areas do you like to ride?

brooklyn bike rider
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by wi1trackrider
    Lived there back in '99 to '00. Lived in mid-coast Maine - Belfast. Nice town. Anyway, I rode all sorts of stuff. My favorite was the Snowbowl in Camden. It has bad ass climbs/descents/technical sections. Take a while to dry out in spring, but worth the wait. Others in my top ten are:

- Maine Sport Outfitters in Camden (short tight network of trails in back of the shop - fun terrain, guys at the shop would change it up once in a while)
    - Camden Hills state park (killer singletrack loop off the main snowmobile trail)
    - Pleasant Mountain outside Warren. (mostly jeep roads, lot of rocky terrain, hard but rewarding climb up and over Mt. Pleasant.
    - Mt. Waldo near Winterport. It's that big chunck of granite between Searsport and Bangor on Hwy. 1A. (again mostly jeep roads, insane climb up Mt. Waldo, overheat the brake pads descent). ATVs frequent the area. Climb up to the quarry wasnt' worth it for me.
    - Frye Mountain west of Belfast. In Frye Mt. Game Preserve. Nice area. Mixed fire roads, jeep roads, ATV trails. ATVs frequent the area. Obviously stay away during hunting season.
    - Caribou Bog/Bangor Dump/Swamp. Just west of that big mall in Bangor. Gravel roads. Nice singletrack through dense/moist/pine forests.
    - Acadia carriage roads. Bar Harbor. Endless mileage. Nice groomed gravel roads. Best views in the state. A nice long loop with serious elevation gains and descents can be put together. Don't let the crowds keep you away. Pick a loop that gets you away from the parking lots that people walk from, and you'll be by yourself for miles.

wow that sounds like a lot of fun stuff.
    and it must be beautiful in summer.
    i'm from ny, but i got friends in bangor, augusta, portland, and islesford.
    maybe i'll organize a trip up this summer to meet my friends,
    and ride some maine.

anyone up there interested in showing some riders around?

and thanks for the info wi1

Quote Originally Posted by wi1trackrider

I live in Brunswick right now, most trail I ride are ATV trails. Theres some good downhill sections on those. But im gonna try and find some of the trails you mentioned.
    Gary Fisher BMX

indigosky

Bangor

Any of you all get to Bangor, drop me a line. We'll hit the bog, if it isn't under 6' of mud.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Sparky

I live in the midcoast area and ride those trails all the time if anybody wants to hook up for a ride let me know. We ride all year long.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky
    I live in the midcoast area and ride those trails all the time if anybody wants to hook up for a ride let me know. We ride all year long.

im also in the midocoast area, drop me a line at summitlt@yahoo.com
    Gary Fisher BMX

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

If you live in Brunswick...

Quote Originally Posted by summitlt
    I live in Brunswick right now, most trail I ride are ATV trails. Theres some good downhill sections on those. But im gonna try and find some of the trails you mentioned.

You souuld try out Bradbury Mountain. There are some fun trails there. You can climb to the top and come down boundry. That trail is a blast. When you are done that, there are some singletrack trails across the road which is also a good loop.

Real Men Cope
    I'm from Maine although I have not lived there for 10 yrs. (damn navy). I love riding Mt. Blue state park over near Farmington and I love streaked Mtn. over near Oxford. It's a 4? mile climb to the top but then you can play around up there for a long while it's sweet, infact here's a photo. This was last Sept around the 26th I was home for my wedding and brought some friends from TX, WV, CO. good time.
    Attached Images Attached Images