mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Ketchum/Stanley, ID

I haven't been to area for a long time, probably since 1997, and am looking for any new trail info. I have used Zilly's books in the past, but am looking for more trails than he has mentioned, especially anything up in the White Mtns/Stanley area. I've ridden Fisher/Williams Creek trails (who hasn't?) and trail that goes by 4th of July Lake & Washington Lake (I think that was the name), which I would like more of. Are there any new books/maps out?
    Also, what is the likelihood that the 4th of July Lake trail will be clear by the end of June? The time I did it was on 4th of July (what a coincidence) of 1997 (I think) and we walked through snow for a few hours.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Best book is Good Dirt II

Quote Originally Posted by tazdag
    I haven't been to area for a long time, probably since 1997, and am looking for any new trail info. I have used Zilly's books in the past, but am looking for more trails than he has mentioned, especially anything up in the White Mtns/Stanley area. I've ridden Fisher/Williams Creek trails (who hasn't?) and trail that goes by 4th of July Lake & Washington Lake (I think that was the name), which I would like more of. Are there any new books/maps out?
    Also, what is the likelihood that the 4th of July Lake trail will be clear by the end of June? The time I did it was on 4th of July (what a coincidence) of 1997 (I think) and we walked through snow for a few hours.

Thanks
    Check out Good Dirt II by Greg McRoberts. Lots of good rides in the Ketchum and Stanley areas. I've seen it on amazon but it was listed for something like $190!! Better bet would be to call one of the local bike shops like Sturtevants or The Elephant's Perch (both in Ketchum) and get one from them. There's also a good map called something like "mountain biking and skiing in Sun Valley" that shows trails and offers a short description of some of the more popular ones. That's not the actual title but if you ask someone in the shop, they'll know what it is.

I'm not sure about how 4th of July will be in June but since it's been kind of a low snow year and a warm spring, you might be in luck. Best bet would be to call the Forest Service office in Stanley or Ketchum.

26er

Just buy a Sawtooth National Forest Map..

There is plenty of trails to explore just follow the map.. I was up on the ridge at 10k ft overlooking 4th of july lake over the 4th of july weekend last year and there was just a little snow at 10k ft so you will probably be fine this year also.

Chris
    Live to ride!

Cannondale Jekyll Carbon 1
    Cannondale Trigger Carbon 2
    Transition Bottle Rocket
    Niner MCR 29er Hardtail