Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member

Idaho in da House

anyone else here?

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayndar
    anyone else here?
    I got yer Idaho right here! (The only other Idahoan I see post regularly is "smilycook.") Hey, I see you're in McCall - that's where my wife grew up. Her folks still live there in the summer, so I get to escape the heat in Boise and ride up there about once a month or so in the summer. Never ventured too far up there - mostly just the Payette Rim trail, Brundage, 20 mile trail, Loon Lake, East Fork of Lake fork, and ventured once this past fall down to ride Tamarack. The full Loon loop (via Ruby Meadows) is my favorite SS trail in Idaho. Any other trail suggestions up there?
    Last edited by Earthpig; 02-05-2004 at 08:25 PM.

mtbr member
    Hey, someone else here! I know Smileycook a little and am looking forward to the IdahoDreamRide series. You've hit the most popular trails. Do you have the "Mountain biking in McCall" book? Maybe try Bear Pete trail out of Burgdorf or Eagle's Nest by Cascade. Have you tried Rapid River down in Riggins? It's rideable early. There are lots of other rides, but they have a fair amount of exploration/bushwacking/hiking/scratchingyourhead involved so I'm hesitant to recommend them.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

boise riding

anyone else here?
    Yeah, I hear you guys about riding in McCall, but if your a worker and live in Boise, the riding is pretty sweet, although the forests are nice up in MCcall.
    I'm in Hawaii now, living and exploring the trails over here. It's muddy here right now.

Every Ride A Gift
    Another Idahoan here. Ready for all this darn snow to melt so I can get back out on the trail with my new awesome bike.

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004

getcherself a plank!

Quote Originally Posted by bwhip
    Another Idahoan here. Ready for all this darn snow to melt so I can get back out on the trail with my new awesome bike.
    I think I'd be feeling the same way (no new bike, though ) if I hadn't decided finally to ditch the skis and get a snowboard. The 4"-6" of freshies yesterday at Bogus yesterday was like heaven! It's the first thing I've found other than mountain biking that gives me that same downhill adrenaline rush!

Every Ride A Gift
    Quote Originally Posted by Earthpig
    I think I'd be feeling the same way (no new bike, though ) if I hadn't decided finally to ditch the skis and get a snowboard. The 4"-6" of freshies yesterday at Bogus yesterday was like heaven! It's the first thing I've found other than mountain biking that gives me that same downhill adrenaline rush!
    I was snowboarding Saturday AM at Bogus also. High winds at the top, a little foggy over on Superior, but man was that powder sweet! It's been a great season for boarding this year - a whole lot better than last year, that's for sure.

mtbr platinum member

Bogus

I caught the fresh 6-8" or so, on Wednesday which was awesome! Bogus is having a great year so far. The only good thing about last year was the fact that I rode in the foothills nearly every weekend of the winter. Not happening this winter....

-Ryan
    I stopped driving my bike into my garage - I'm now protected with Roof Rack Ranger app for my iPhone.

mtbr member

Brundage had about 6" new too

Brundage had a 6-8" fresh covering Sat. a.m. and Sun a.m. again. Yummmm. Too bad it gets tracked out in about 2 hours. I guess Ican always go hike Sargent's though. Hey we've got about 5 1/2 Idahoans here (woohooo) I think we need our own section instead of "other"!

Every Ride A Gift
    Brundage had a 6-8" fresh covering Sat. a.m. and Sun a.m. again. Yummmm. Too bad it gets tracked out in about 2 hours. I guess Ican always go hike Sargent's though. Hey we've got about 5 1/2 Idahoans here (woohooo) I think we need our own section instead of "other"!
    We do need an Idaho section - a lot of great riders and trails in this state!

I may go up to Brundage again this Saturday, although it doesn't look like we'll get any new snow between now and then. Firm and fast can be fun, though - that's how it was a few weeks ago when I was up there.

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    We do need an Idaho section - a lot of great riders and trails in this state!

I may go up to Brundage again this Saturday, although it doesn't look like we'll get any new snow between now and then. Firm and fast can be fun, though - that's how it was a few weeks ago when I was up there.
    I think I'm going to head up to board the pavement up at Bogus on Thursday night. Hey, with the trails as they are right now, it's either that or another freaking road ride!!

26er

smilycook here this makes 6

I can't believe some of the best riding in the country does not have it's own section maybe they should group us in with a couple other states in the area that have not gotten a forum section yet either.

shh.. I got in a nice mountain bike ride on saturday. Got up really early and rode some frozen trails with very little snow on the other side of the valley. Then had a nice and cold 50 mile road ride on sunday. Can't wait to be able to ride in foothills again since they are very wet right now.

Chris
    Live to ride!

Cannondale Jekyll Carbon 1
    Cannondale Trigger Carbon 2
    Transition Bottle Rocket
    Niner MCR 29er Hardtail

mtbr platinum member
    Quote Originally Posted by smilycook

shh.. I got in a nice mountain bike ride on saturday. Got up really early and rode some frozen trails with very little snow on the other side of the valley.
    I was considering doing that, but I decided against it. I rode up Pierce Park (dirt road climb) yesterday instead.

-Ryan
    I stopped driving my bike into my garage - I'm now protected with Roof Rack Ranger app for my iPhone.

Every Ride A Gift
    I had to ride Sunday afternoon too, with all that sunshine. A little cold starting out but once I started climbing hills (up the north end of Eagle Road) it got warm in a hurry. We're getting into that time of year when you really want to put on a bunch of layers when you start out because it's freezing, but once you get 15 minutes or so into the ride you wish you hadn't worn quite so much.

mtbr member
    Awww man. I was in Boise yesterday and was jonesing to have my bike and just jump some curbs or something! You have actual pavement showing! I've got about 6' of snow in the yard! Aaarrrrgggghhhh. Let me know if you're at Brundage Sat a.m. I usually can sneak away from the kids for the first few hours. After that I'm on Easy Street teaching them to snowboard.

mtbr member

Idaho Dreamride series

Welcome Chris! Can you post the latest on the Idaho Dreamride Series here? I'm looking forward to it.

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004

last Friday

I had to ride Sunday afternoon too, with all that sunshine. A little cold starting out but once I started climbing hills (up the north end of Eagle Road) it got warm in a hurry. We're getting into that time of year when you really want to put on a bunch of layers when you start out because it's freezing, but once you get 15 minutes or so into the ride you wish you hadn't worn quite so much.
    I did a short road ride (Camelsback to Lucky Peak Dam and back - 26 miles?) on late Friday afternoon and, other than the wind in the face on the way out to the dam, it wasn't too bad. I'm with Smilycook, though - I REALLY want to get back on my mountain bikes something fierce!! Unfortunately, with all the snow and cold and wet/snowy roads (and trails) this winter, I'm so out of shape I don't know if I could even make it up Hulls right now! Snowboarding replaces that need for an adrenaline buzz, but nothing gives me that endorphin rush like mountain biking....

26er

Idea! Rought Draft for the Idaho Dream Ride Series

Here is a rought draft of the dream ride series look for a final draft and notices sent to area bike shops at the end of February:

Idaho Dream Ride Series
    Come and join us to experience Idaho Mountain Biking and learn about IMBA and what we do in Idaho. The dream ride series creates classic memories and inspires you to help save the trails. To fuel this passion, IMBA in Idaho has selected a number of memorable rides and events. Everyone is invited, to attend please contact the individual who is running the event and let him or her know you will be attending. Visit www.trailwize.com/dream for more information and also to find out the ability level for each ride and a more detailed and up to date ride description.
    We are hoping to grow the ride series this year and also get more Mountain Bikes involved at a local level. Each event has at least one scheduled evening dinner where people can relax and discuss issues in Idaho concerning them. Please bring questions relevant to your local area on topics from trail building to approaching your local land managers and how you can get the concerns of local mountain bikers heard.

Dreaming in the Owyhee Desert:
    April 3,4 run by Chris Cook
    Saturday April 3rd: Advanced Epic ride about 30 miles long with technical canyons and exposure. Riders need to be confident with there ability.
    Meet: Eagle Park and Ride on the West side of I-84 at the Eagle Rd exit at 10am.
    Saturday Night: Dinner at White Water Pizza at 6pm near the corner of Fairview and Eagle Rd. after the ride to discuss issues concerning mountain bikers in Idaho.
    Sunday April 4th: Intermediate Ride about 20 miles long with canyons and spectacular wildlife. There will be some technical sections.
    Meet: Eagle Park and Ride on the West side of I-84 at the Eagle Rd exit at 10am in Meridian, ID.
    To Sign up: Chris Cook chris@trailwize.com or 208-794-7255.

Epics of the Danskins:
    May 29,30 run by Chris Cook and SWIMBA
    Saturday May 15th: Advanced Epic ride about 30 miles long with narrow singletrack and steep climbs and steep and technical descents in the Danskin Mountains. We will ride a trail called Devilís Hole, which will bring us down to the overlook on the Southfork of the Boise River and then will climb back out over a number of ridges on singletrack and doubletrack.
    Meet: At the Burger King off of I-84 at the Gowen Rd/ID-21 exit at 7:45am in Boise, ID.
    Saturday Night: Dinner at Smokey Mountain Pizza at Parkcenter in Boise at 6pm to discuss issues concerning mountain bikers in Idaho.
    Sunday May 16th: Advanced Intermediate Epic ride of about 20 miles long with narrow singletrack and technical challenges. We will ride flat creek singletrack and tour some of the upper trails in the Danskins Mountains.
    Meet: At the Burger King off of I-84 at the Gowen Rd/ID-21 exit at 8:30am in Boise, ID.
    To Sign up: Chris Cook chris@trailwize.com or 208-794-7255.

Flying high in the Whiteclouds of Central Idaho:
    July 1st to 4th run by Chris Cook
    Thursday July 1st: TBD
    Friday July 2nd: TBD
    Saturday July 3rd: An Intermediate ride, which involves twisting and swooping turns beyond your wildest dreams. We will climb up Fischer Creek Rd and the then descend down Fischer Creek trail to Warm Springs Trail, which we will take all the way down to Robinson Bar. A couple deep stream crossings will make it exciting in sections, but the expansive meadows and canyons we will ride through will amaze.
    Saturday Night: Dinner in Stanley, ID TBD?
    Sunday July 4th: An advanced ride in Celebration of July 4th of around 27miles. We will ride July 4th trail to Born Lakes and descend down Warm Springs Trail to Williams trail for an epic ride with amazing scenery and challenging Terrain. This ride will bring you to 10,000ft and provides views of the highest peaks in the White Clouds and high elevation lakes that take the breath away.
    Meeting Location: Large group campsite on the banks of the Salmon River near ID75.

Big Hole Mountains of Eastern Idaho:
    July 31st to August 1st ride leader Pete and organizer Chris Cook
    Saturday July 31st: TBD

Sunday August 1st: An advanced Epic ride in the Big Hole mountains on Calamity Creek. The trails are steep and require a lot of skill to be able to climb to the top, the rewards are great, as you will be rewarded with views of the Tetons and other mountain ranges in the area and high alpine meadows.

Other possible events
    Moscow area of Northern Idaho - possible ride leader MAMBA or UI
    Pocatello area of Southeastern Idaho - possible ride Leader ISU or EIbike
    McCall Area -Possible Ride leader CIMBA

Possible events on these dates(all weekends):
    7/24 - 7/25
    9/4 - 9/5
    9/18 - 9/19
    Live to ride!

Transition Bottle Rocket
    Niner MCR 29er Hardtail

Every Ride A Gift
    Those rides sound awesome. I'll definitely try to work some or all into my schedule. Thanks for posting them for us!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

One more for ID

Just thought I would report in from the far Eastern side of the state where we too are covered in snow and skiing is keeping me sane these days. I think it will be quite a while before any trails in Teton Valley are rideable. However, I am considering building a set of wheels with SnoCat rims with Nokian studded tires for riding the roads that have no pavement showing through.

26er

some nice skiing in driggs

I was out in driggs a couple of weekends ago for some great skiing at targee.

Last summer I rode out there at calamity creek and that downhill singletrack from targee, it was a lot of fun. Plus I got to enjoy the jumps trail you guys built.

Do you know pete from peaked sports?

Chris
    Live to ride!

Transition Bottle Rocket
    Niner MCR 29er Hardtail

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Skiing for now

Smily,
    We are having a great ski season hear this year which makes it easier to deal with no riding for a while. Glad you got to enjoy some of the skiing this year. I do know Pete and see him on the ski hill on a regular basis. He bikes with a slightly younger and more wreckless crowd than I do. Did you ride down Mill Creek (several man made jumps) after riding at the ski hill? I live close by and often ride that trail out and back from my house. That is one of my favorite downhills.

26er

yeah mill creek

I rode Mill Creek in the morning and then rode down off of the ski hill. I liked your jump trail a lot and look forward to riding it again. Your sign at the top is great also. We have something similar here and have the same go arounds you guys have around your jumps.

Still amazed at how steep the trails are out there! You seem to have a nutbuster climb on every ride.

I also rode 38 miles with pete and the gang around calamity creek and the top of the ride was marked by a large meadow which rewarded us with awesome views of the tetons!

Chris
    Live to ride!

Transition Bottle Rocket
    Niner MCR 29er Hardtail

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Lot's of climbing in TV

Because we live in a valley surrounded by 9000 peaks, all of our rides do involve big climbs. We don't have any "cruiser" trails that are just rolling terrain for miles and miles.
    I am not sure I know Calamity Creek but I know Pete and his gang have their own name for certain trails. Where did you start the ride?

Every Ride A Gift
    Took a little ride up 8th Street today to the gate - lots of snow above there. Nice to get a stiff climb in with some dirt under the tires! Really hot climbing, really cold coming back down! It got the job done, but man am I jonesing for some technical single track. Can't wait for Moab next month.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast