mtbr member

Costa Rica in May

My wife and I are heading to Costa Rica in May with my brother-in-law and his fiancee. I'd like to try some mountain biking while we're down there and my brother-in-law is willing to go with me even though he isn't an avid mountain biker.

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions. I'm an avid XC racer and my brother-in-law, although he doesn't exercise regularly, is still pretty fit and he's 25. He was a state champion wrestler, and he rode a lot of bmx when he was a kid. So I have no doubt that he'll be fine.

Any recommended tours? Should we just rent a bike, grap a map, and hit the trails? Any recommended bike rentals/bike shops? I've never been to Costa Rica, or Central America, so this will be completely new to me.

Thanks!

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    There are a couple of CR tour guides on the board (lavatours or something similar is one of them IIRC).... I don't know them (though I am CRican myself)

There is little "nice" singletrack back home...although there are good mountains and some awesome views to be had, also some fun DHs

do you know what areas will you be traveling to?

mtbr member

Costa Rica Tour Operator

Hey Skeletor,

Check out http://www.lava-tours.com. You may also check out bikecostarica.com to find some ride ideas.

Lava Tours operates mountain biking and adventure trips for the non-cyclist as well.

For bike rentals you may want to try Bike Arenal.

If you are really into biking and want to spend several days mountain biking then a multiday guided trip makes sense, IMHO. Otherwise you will be spending too much time getting lost.

If you what you are looking for is a day of riding, possibly with less experienced riding buddies, then renting a bike and getting directions is probably just fine.

Let me know if you want some vacation ideas (with or without ride time).

Cheers,

Carlos

mtbr member
    I believe we're staying near Quepos, possibly in Jaco. My wife said it was near Quepos and started with a "J". So that's the nearest town that starts with a "J".

Anything else I should be aware of before going? Hopefully I won't get dengue fever or malaria. I plan on being outside a lot and doing some hiking, biking, exploring.

I just wish I spoke Spanish, but I guess it shouldn't matter. I've heard that a lot of locals speak English in Costa Rica because of the large amount of tourists.

mtbr member
    Hi,

Try puertoquepos.com for bike rentals and or tours. In Jaco you may be able to find rentals as well.

Good luck!

Carlos
    www.lava-tours.com

life is a barrel o'fun
    How is Costa Rica in Oct/Nov? Currently researching some adventurous mtb vacation destinations.
    "We sat outside the dentist, tooting a horn on the guy's bike."-overheard in the Underground

ceteris paribus
    Quote Originally Posted by Christine
    How is Costa Rica in Oct/Nov? Currently researching some adventurous mtb vacation destinations.
    Wet and muddy in the pacific/ center, and not so wet in the caribean.
    Who is this doin' this synthetic type of alpha-beta psychadelic funkin'

mtbr member

CR in Oct/Nov

We ride throughout the year. The northern Pacific is usually drier and even if it rains there are plenty rides that take advantage of gravel roads with little or no mud.

Cheers,

Carlos

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

CR in Feb

I will be down in February 2010 for a couple of weeks in Tamarindo.

Any ideas on mountain bike rentals and good trails near there.

Cheers
    Jeff

mtbr member

Tamarindo

Hi Jeff,

There used to be a bike shop that rented bikes. I believe it was called Blue Trax. You may want to google them. IF you find a descent bike, ask for the Monkey Trail. It is as "singletracky" as you can get in Costa Rica.

First quarter 2010 we hope to open a bike part near Jacó with singletrack, DH sections and a proshop. But Jacó is too far for you.

Cheers,

Carlos
    Lava Tours Costa Rica
    www.lava-tours.com