26er

New question here. Boise riders and hulls gulch

Hey boise riders, we spent a lot of hours working on the blind corner on hulls gulch trail just above the cliff doing some armoring and adding rocks into the trail to slow people down, trying to prevent those head on collisions.

Have you ridden it lately? What are your thoughs, do you like?

even a little good press in the statesmen:
    http://www.idahostatesman.com/Search/story.asp?ID=65125

Chris
    Live to ride!

Cannondale Jekyll Carbon 1
    Cannondale Trigger Carbon 2
    Transition Bottle Rocket
    Niner MCR 29er Hardtail

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

coming to Idaho

smilycook

I'm coming to Idaho for the summer, late may to late august. I'm living up in Pollock, about 2 hours North of Boise. I'm looking for any info on good cross country trails to hit, or anyone who reads this and wants to go ride.

I'd like to go for a little freeriding but my epic can't handle it, so if there's any shops out there that rent a decent rig let me know.

later

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by smilycook
    Have you ridden it lately? What are your thoughs, do you like?
    Chris
    Hey Chris,

I rode that trail (red cliffs to freeway to hulls gulch) on Monday and I noticed there had been some trail maintenance done on the hulls gulch stretch (additional log/erosion protector whatchumacallies) and I did notice a few areas that had a few new 'speedbumps' but I keep fairly slow on the blind corners since there are many joggers that travel uphill on that trail. Good work, no doubt that will save someone from an accident.

-Larry

mtbr platinum member
    Hi Chris,

My wife and I actually helped with the trail work last weekend. We rode it several times last weekend to see the effects that our work had made and I have a few comments. First, the blind corner work that was done is a great start. In my opinion, I'd like to see the 'mini rock garden' continued farther up the hill. My reasoning is to help slow people down farther up the hill, rather than trying to scrub speed just as they are entering the corner (sometimes too late).

I happen to ride full suspension, and the rocks didn't create too much more of a 'need' to scrub speed, however, I try to come to a crawl through there anyway out of fear of running into someone there. My first impression of that section was the reduced skidding of my rear tire due to the changes made to the old drop offs (Yes, I do normally let off my rear brake for a split second while my rear tire comes off each drop).

Anyway, it felt good to give back to the local trails. My wife and I are already looking forward to participating in the May and June trail days in the foot hills.

Sincerely,
    Ryan
    I stopped driving my bike into my garage - I'm now protected with Roof Rack Ranger app for my iPhone.

mtbr member

You'll be about 30mins north of McCall

There's a good book- Mtn Biking around McCall. You can pick it up at Gravity Sports in McCall. You've got a couple of goods rides near you- Rapid River in Riggins, and Hard Creek. Those are the most popular ones in your area, but there are miles of trails and logging roads to explore. Also check out CowCamp trail- its a bushwhack, but with lots of potential. Just when you want to give up, it lures you in with a mile of beautiful singletrack!

Quote Originally Posted by icrider
    smilycook

I'm coming to Idaho for the summer, late may to late august. I'm living up in Pollock, about 2 hours North of Boise. I'm looking for any info on good cross country trails to hit, or anyone who reads this and wants to go ride.

I'd like to go for a little freeriding but my epic can't handle it, so if there's any shops out there that rent a decent rig let me know.

later

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Blind Corner

I use Hulls for both running up and riding down. Weather I am on foot or on wheels I will always shout "corner!!" as i come up (or down) to that blind curve.