dft
    mtbr member

best south american country for epic descents?

i wanted to gets peoples info on the best south america country of epic mountain bike trails. namely i am thinking of where the best and most concentrated trails are that provide huge vertical singletrack descents, technical if possible. i'm not into fireroads, but would do one if something special about it. i know peru seems good, also boliva and equador have stuff. my early opinion is peru seems to maybe be the best candidate?
    thanks.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I think Peru is your best bet. Ecuador and Bolivia both have very good downhills but most of the riding I know of is on dirt roads. Peru has riding on lots of old Inca and burro trails. PM me if you want some contact there or are interested in a guided trip.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    Hands down, Peru. I have been there ten times to ride, and I have a downhill XC/DH tour company that specializes in this. I have ridden in Huaraz, Trujillo, Santo Domingo de los olleros, Tauripampa, Huamantanga, Andahuaylas, Apurimac, Cusco/Valle sagrado, Lares, Puno, Cotohuasi, Arequipa, Chincha, etc....there are amazing descents (and climbs!!!) all over the place!
    I am organizing a trip in October, 7-9 days, 5 HUGE DH/shuttle days, and two HUGE climbing days, three-four star hotels, incredible food, day tour of Macchu Picchu, weekend in Cusco...all for less than $2000 (exluding airfare). I am not trying to spam, I just got back from a week in Cusco, rode some incredible stuff! Mega-Avalanche course, and much much more! Feel free to PM, or ask any Q's on this thread!
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

And then we eat them."

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I think the best technical and fr/dh oriented fixed tours are in bolivia. I live in Ecuador and I know a bunch of technical trail here (volcanos, lakes, jungle), but most operators focused more in xc rides, just send me a thraed and I can fix something extreme ....also if you come to ecuador you cannot miss a galapagos trip

dft
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PAMATRAIL
    I think the best technical and fr/dh oriented fixed tours are in bolivia. I live in Ecuador and I know a bunch of technical trail here (volcanos, lakes, jungle), but most operators focused more in xc rides, just send me a thraed and I can fix something extreme ....also if you come to ecuador you cannot miss a galapagos trip

do you have very larger verical epic downhill descents? i really like long tough downhill rides (i can climb also to get to them if need be)

mtbr member
    May 2005
    The trails that I like the most are a mixture of technical and fast pretty long downhills, from 3500 to 2000-1500 meters above the sea level, most of them one big day each in freezing highlands, some mountain forest and even deserts. We can pedal uphill in some of them but basically if you want to enjoy all these trails we need to hire a van or a truck, you need to bring your long travel all mountain or a pedal efficient freeride bike and protective gear.

I said we have to hire a truck or a van because most of those places are pretty high so you can get really sick if you want to pedal uphill a lot without a proper high altitude adaptation.

dft
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PAMATRAIL
    The trails that I like the most are a mixture of technical and fast pretty long downhills, from 3500 to 2000-1500 meters above the sea level, most of them one big day each in freezing highlands, some mountain forest and even deserts. We can pedal uphill in some of them but basically if you want to enjoy all these trails we need to hire a van or a truck, you need to bring your long travel all mountain or a pedal efficient freeride bike and protective gear.

I said we have to hire a truck or a van because most of those places are pretty high so you can get really sick if you want to pedal uphill a lot without a proper high altitude adaptation.

that sounds really really cool. obviously i prefer to shuttle up, but i just said climbing is ok if that allows access to certain trails that cannot be shuttled. sounds like good stuff down there. my bike weighs 41 pounds, but i still climb it 1000 meters no problem.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    perfect...I have a freeride SC Bullit (38-40 pounds) and Im pretty sure most of the trails are really difficult to get there only by bike (we can do it but we will missing days of downhill), but of course some of them are perfect with the 2 hours uphill.

If you wanna come here tell me 1-2 months before to fix my schedule. Im science teacher but I used to be a guide in the amazon basin. Bring your bike cause the only bike you can get here are xc oriented treks, specialized, gf and giants.