mtbr member
    Feb 2008

New question here. Anyone in Brazil?

Hi everybody

The names Dan Patterson, I ride fairly regularory and love badass trails. In January I plan to move to Brazil for a few months to teach english/volunteer in the rain forest..you know that kind of cool stuff. Neways, I'm going to bring my specialized epic with me

Is there anyone in Brazil/ Rio de Janeiro I can ride with???

Cheers,
    Dan Patterson

GT:The ride of your life!
    Jul 2008
    Hi Dan !
    Be well coming to Rio de Janeiro!
    I don't speak fluent English, but I get to understand when somebody speaks slowly.
    I am placed at Copacabana, area with every infrastructure of hotels, housings...
    When January is close, enter in contact. Even if I cannot pedal, my friend will help you in the tracks.
    Here we have been varying tracks, easy or difficult, XC or DH, which you want to choose... see pictures !
    Cheers,
    Leandro.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I hope you are not single, and that if you are and want to ride, that you have a fast bike, esp. in Rio!

mtbr member

Hi Dan,
    I don’t want to scare you, but you should take an advice.
    Do not ride alone in Rio and the surrounding region (especially with your epic).
    Unfortunately, there is a lot of misery in Brazil therefore there is a lot of crime too.
    Near the biggest cities, it is often occurring violent bike pilferages.
    Here we use to ride in larges groups of bikers (like MTB clubs) because it is safer.
    As you ride quite far from the biggest cities (like Rio de Janeiro or São Paulo), you must not be worried about safety.
    Excepted for this problem, Brazil is a VERY nice place to ride in.
    Welcome!
    Cheers,
    Sergio

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I am in Macae. I do not have my bike down here but I plan to bring it in September. I work month on-month off rotation. I have been debating between bringing a cyclocross bike with spare tires for road/cobblestone/dirt road riding or bringing my mountain bike. Any advice? Also, anyone know of trails/routes/etc up here?

mtbr member

Mtb

I think a mountain bike is more suitable for Brazilian roads.
    For “long” distance rides, with several kinds of road conditions, you best bring two pairs of Kevlar tires.
    Kevlar tires can be folded in a bag.
    This way you can switch them (xc tires / lower rolling resistance tires) according to the lane you are going to ride.
    Concerning the routes, there is a lot.
    Where exactly you are planning to ride?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Gringo
    I hope you are not single, and that if you are and want to ride, that you have a fast bike, esp. in Rio!
    Dan, I was purely referring to the endless hotness of Brazilian women who would want to marry you! But you need to be careful just like any big city anywhere in the world.

Serg is absolutey right, and a glaring omission from my statement thinking more about my good memories of Rio than my bad ones. Group rides in any LA country are tons of fun, Latino culture and perspective is a perfect compliment to cycling.

I should know, I spend as much time as I can riding in the Andes when the Alps are too cold!

G.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I do not know exactly where I plan to ride yet. I do triathlons so I am thinking for my next trip down, I'm going to bring my cyclocross bike. It should ride better on brazilian roads that a road bike and I can easily bring road tires and a aerobars to slap on it for a tri. No ideal but probably the most versatile option that way.

Are there offroad trails within 1 or 1.5 hrs of Macae? If so, that would make it worthwhile to bring my mountain bike down on one of the trips.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Eu!
    Belo Horizonte, MG

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    nice pictures! I`m here in Manaus, Amazonas, in the middle of rain forest... lots of trails at the weekends (my english is awful too LOL)